• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

thecuddlyninja's Cover Thread

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
no doubt nice work here.
the back cover of Independence Day makes me giggle.
i like the love triangle symbolism for Fight Club's Self Help too.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
baileym43 said:
no doubt nice work here.
the back cover of Independence Day makes me giggle.
i like the love triangle symbolism for Fight Club's Self Help too.

Thank you kindly!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Judgment Day by Maniac51 BD:
Judgment%20Day%20BD.jpg

based on art by deviantart user rcrosby93

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice cover art man, the two from Martyrs in the belly of Alysson Paradis is great
Nice work on the judgment day cover to

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Decided to make a 22mm cover for all of American Horror Story (so far):

All banners are official art except Freak Show banner created by angstrated.com

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can only have 25 pictures per post so I won't be able to keep the first post up-to-date. Reserving this post to add 26-50.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Made a 22mm cover for Game of Thrones series:

based on art by historyGOT.com

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, as you produce lots of covers for other editors, which is a real help to the FE community :) but...

You could perhaps try to do a few less and instead concentrate on making a few really creative covers based on your own ideas. For example, it didn't take me long to do a 'Google Image Search' based on your last few covers, based on other people's fanart...

houses.jpg

dune5.jpg

abae4b27caf48c301a8a5ad12e8c6bc7.jpg

I've used other people's fanart for a couple of my projects, so I'm guilty too but I do try hard to avoid doing it and create something new myself.

I just thought I'd raise the question before it becomes a habit. Sorry. Keep up the good work.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, as you produce lots of covers for other editors, which is a real help to the FE community :) but...

You could perhaps try to do a few less and instead concentrate on making a few really creative covers based on your own ideas. For example, it didn't take me long to do a 'Google Image Search' based on your last few covers, based on other people's fanart...

I've used other people's fanart for a couple of my projects, so I'm guilty too but I do try hard to avoid doing it and create something new myself.

I just thought I'd raise the question before it becomes a habit. Sorry. Keep up the good work.

Is that not okay to do? I don't know the first thing about drawing or visual design. I thought it was 100% cool to use existing images for fanedit covers.

Is that really not how most FE covers are done? Do people design their own stuff from scratch usually and create the designs? I thought it was mostly mixing up photos and logos, essentially and then making it look pretty and/or cool. I really had no idea that was an etiquette breach; I wasn't ever trying to imply anything different.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think there's really a specific rule about it, but I could be wrong. I know that essentially every cover I've made is based on an official poster or some sort of fan art. If I copy something heavily though I will credit the original artist.

For example, this cover of "The Departed Recut" I did:

departed_3Dview.jpg

Is just me rejiggering this guy's cover:

the_departed_dvd_cover_by_adam0000.jpg

But if you look at the IFDB page (linked above) I put this in the "Artwork" tab:

"Cover art by Neglify, original cover design by Adam0000"

Never have I created cover art 100% truly from scratch, it's always been from a poster or a screenshot or fanart.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Generally if you're using official production photos or screenshots of the film, it's less necessary. If it's art someone else made and you're not changing it to the point where it's no longer recognizable (ie. a new piece of art), then it's good form to give credit to the original artist or source.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Generally if you're using official production photos or screenshots of the film, it's less necessary. If it's art someone else made and you're not changing it to the point where it's no longer recognizable (ie. a new piece of art), then it's good form to give credit to the original artist or source.

addiesin said:

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll make sure to go back and do that for the central images on my edits. Most of the covers are for other people's edits and none of them are on IFDB but I'll make sure the posts with them get updated.

I sincerely hope I didn't give anybody the impression I created this stuff from scratch. I'm just a freak about organization of my collection and so I make covers for stuff I have. I would just google image search until something strikes me and then design around that. I thought that was how most were done. Mine are pretty much cut and paste, match, blend, sort out the text and go. I only spend about 30 minutes to an hour because I'm just making something good enough for me. Then I figured I would post on the threads in case anyone else was a weirdo like me and just had to have a cover for an edit.

The tone of TM2YC's really made it sound like that's dishonest or deceptive, so I will make sure to be crystal clear about that in the future, or just keep the covers to myself if that's advisable. I didn't know that was a questionable habit; if it is, just let me know. I don't quite know what part of any of this is wrong, so just tell me and that'll be that.

I look at it just like fanediting. I'm not a very creative person but I like to take things other people make, tweak them, edit them, mix them up and then put it together. If anyone likes it, cool. If not, cool, I made it for me. Sorry for any misinterpretation on my part.

Neg, that's a good idea. I don't really take covers whole cloth like that, but I almost always use one central image on the front and I should credit that on my own edit covers.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it's not a rule or anything, just my observation, as I said above, I've done it myself a couple of times. In a similar way that if you are basing your fanedit on somebody else's fanedit, it's good form to credit them.

IMO there's a difference between using official poster art that people got paid for, and using fanart where they didn't. Or exactly what addiesen said...

addiesin said:

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OP and subsequent posts updated with credit where applicable. Posts in other threads updated as well, and I removed the ones I could not find the image or images again. Thanks for straightening me out; didn't realize I was doing anything in poor form but it definitely makes sense.

TM2YC said:
You could perhaps try to do a few less and instead concentrate on making a few really creative covers based on your own ideas.

I tend to put the most time/effort into my own covers. I never really intended to make a bunch of covers for people, I just make covers for myself for edits that I want on my shelf but don't have covers. On those, I'm going to pretty much continue what I'm doing, search for some interesting imagery, use some stills and make something in about an hour. I'll give credit where due and keep posting them, if it is a problem I'll just keep them on my shelf instead of posting.

Cheers, guys.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The covers are great man.
No matter how you do it
It's always nice to see some covers of my edits
Great work also because i'm too lazy to do it :-D

Top Bottom