• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol The Quatro Cut

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit Title:
Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol The Quatro Cut

Original Title:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Information about this edit:

The Quatro Cut is a light handed edit of the generally great Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. About 3 minutes in total are removed completely. In addition the original opening to the film is completely reworked to get the viewer directly into the main story and bypass one of the worst acted sequences in the film.

I really enjoyed this movie the first time I watched it, I was very happy that it was essentially a continuation of the successful trilogy that began 15 years prior and not a typical Hollywood reboot. There just seemed to be a few nagging problems that kept taking me out of the narrative. These problems seemed to boil down to a couple bad casting/ bad storyline choices.

The first issue I chose to correct was the film's opening sequence set in Budapest. This sequence stars Josh Holloway of LOST fame and Paula Patton. Josh turns in a very made for TV performance in these scenes and it really took me out of the film. This sequence wraps up on an odd sort of secret lovers scene between Josh and Paula that was very made for TV and seemed out of place since we barely know these characters. This sequence has no bearing on the film until after the prison sequence in Moscow so instead of visiting the sequence twice in the first 15 minutes of the film, I have just cut it and replaced it where it falls naturally.

The other major scene correction occurs at the party in Mumbai. Here we find Anil Kapoor playing a very made for TV Indian billionaire character. His interaction with Paula Patton has been cut down to the essentials removing primarily the hide-and-go-seek game. Also cut here is the odd romanticism inserted between Cruise's character and Paula's character. We spend most of the movie wondering what happened to Ethan's wife making this feel very out of place.

Other than that there are a couple blink and you'll miss it corrections and the number 4 added to the movie's title to remind viewers that this is in fact a continuation not a reboot of the Mission Impossible franchise. Enjoy.

Release information:

2.7GB HD MP4 x.265 1080p 5.1 Dolby Digital available to download from Vimeo (you must login to see this option, choose original file then right click to save file)

Vimeo Streaming Edition (Note: Vimeo will stream this at 720p and 2.0 channel audio)

password is 'fanedit'

I'm really having trouble finding the cover art I want for this one, most of the options focus on the Ghost Protocol in the title. But I found THIS that has the nice MI:4 logo but I can't find a high quality version anywhere on the web. Anyone know of a cover resource around the web that has that version?

Dammit :oops: can someone move this to ITW thread for me...

These hi-res images might help? (Google image search with the quality filter set high, is great for this kinda stuff)...

Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-2011-8.jpg

Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-2011.jpg

2011_mission_impossibl_ghost_protocol_044.jpg

mission-impossible-ghost-protocol.jpg

paramount_missionimpossible_1920x1080.jpg

The Vimeo streaming/downloadable edition is now available in the OP. A higher bitrate 9GB x.265 MP4 version will be available for download in a few days.

I always thought this was the weakest in the series. I loved the 5 th one, so I'll give MI4 a chance again in this version :)

Artillery said:
I always thought this was the weakest in the series. I loved the 5 th one, so I'll give MI4 a chance again in this version :)

Cool, I didn't change a ton in this version but I definitely think that it is much closer to the 5th in terms of narrative quality now. Let me know what you think.

Download information for the 8.5GB highest quality MP4 version of this edit has been added to the usual place, pm me if you can't find it.

DuSky said:
Note that the link in the usual place is not correct, need to remove the word 'the'. Incorrectly reads: jerick_mi4thequatrocut Correct link reads: jerick_mi4quatrocut

Thank you I'm working with the admin to get it fixed, hopefully soon.

DuSky said:
Note that the link in the usual place is not correct, need to remove the word 'the'. Incorrectly reads: jerick_mi4thequatrocut Correct link reads: jerick_mi4quatrocut

Note that these forums aren't the place for that message. You can contact the Info administrator directly if you click "Fanedit Submissions & Contact" on Info. Then he can fix it up.

DuSky said:

Please don't do this. It screws up the conversation for anyone reading later (and you're quoted anyways).

OK.

[my permissions are limited re: editing replies/posts and was attempting to minimize mistakes, which tend to run on a logarithmic scale]

DuSky said:
my permissions are limited re: editing replies/posts

I have no idea what this means. Send me a PM so we don't derail this further.

Review from IFDB:

I thoroughly enjoyed this edit. I meant to catch this in theaters and just never got around to seeing it. I picked it up pretty cheaply and watched it a month ago for the first time in preparation for Rogue Nation. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You pretty much picked off the two or three weak spots in the movie and fixed them. This is a pretty light edit but it manages to strengthen the narrative (by not having me ask out loud who the f#&% everyone is like I did when I saw the theatrical cut) and getting rid of the Cruise/Patton sexual tension which muddled everything with his wife. I really liked the theatrical, this is just a bit better. Replacing my disc with this one.

Awesome job!

thecuddlyninja said:
Review from IFDB:

I thoroughly enjoyed this edit. I meant to catch this in theaters and just never got around to seeing it. I picked it up pretty cheaply and watched it a month ago for the first time in preparation for Rogue Nation. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You pretty much picked off the two or three weak spots in the movie and fixed them. This is a pretty light edit but it manages to strengthen the narrative (by not having me ask out loud who the f#&% everyone is like I did when I saw the theatrical cut) and getting rid of the Cruise/Patton sexual tension which muddled everything with his wife. I really liked the theatrical, this is just a bit better. Replacing my disc with this one.

Awesome job!

Thanks for the review, I'm glad everything I tried to accomplish in this edit felt like an improvement over the original to you.

This edit is once again available from my Vimeo page

The password is 'fanedit'

All Jerick edits are once again listed on 'info' send me a PM if you need more help on acquiring one.

Back
Top Bottom