• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Windows 10?

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Linux aside, the impression I'm getting from this thread is that there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between the software I'm running on my Win7 and upgrading to Win10. Microsoft is allowing a free upgrade for the first year and I'm thinking about doing it.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't upgrade until I get the newer version with a new PC. But then again, I'm lazy.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't upgrade my main machine any time soon without both a tested backup that I know I can revert to, and a lot of free time on my hands. Theupgrade itself will be easyenough, but you'll need to test *everything* you might want to do in any software you want to use, to make sure there aren't any unexpected problems. And that takes time.

The alternative is to let other people do the testing and rely on their guidance/advice when it comes to upgrading your machine.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
once set up correctly there are many distributions and shells which are great. The problem is getting it set up, which tends to push a lot of the work back on the end user.
and
If you've been using Windows for years - especially for gaming - you'll have learned a lot about how to fix common problems, even if you don't think you have. Switching over to Linux involves relearning all of those things from scratch again.

Well said. Setting up Linux is a pain in the proverbial and requires, without fail, command line bashing. Granted, once it is working it's rock solid - but if you want to change anything or install more than the simplest software.... "hello tech support" :)

theslime - glad it works for you, but when Linux+XMBC doesn't work on a Core i3 because...stuff... then there is a problem.
You think Linux is easy because you know it, and that's cool, but you forget that you dip into the command line about 14 times a day to do simple tasks because its natural to you. PC Format ran a recent article on installing Linux without using the command line... and in STEP 2 they had, I kid you not, about 10 commands that you needed to type in..... LOL.
I think Linux is cool, but I think it would be better if poeple stopped saying it's a great system for novices. It isn't. Lets be honest: you need to grow a beard before you can use Linux.
So, back on topic, looking forward to Win10 where someone's already tested the compatibility for me and doesn't require me to figure out why there's no sound... :)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
Well said. Setting up Linux is a pain in the proverbial and requires, without fail, command line bashing. Granted, once it is working it's rock solid - but if you want to change anything or install more than the simplest software.... "hello tech support" :)

theslime - glad it works for you, but when Linux+XMBC doesn't work on a Core i3 because...stuff... then there is a problem.
You think Linux is easy because you know it, and that's cool, but you forget that you dip into the command line about 14 times a day to do simple tasks because its natural to you. PC Format ran a recent article on installing Linux without using the command line... and in STEP 2 they had, I kid you not, about 10 commands that you needed to type in..... LOL.
I think Linux is cool, but I think it would be better if poeple stopped saying it's a great system for novices. It isn't. Lets be honest: you need to grow a beard before you can use Linux.
So, back on topic, looking forward to Win10 where someone's already tested the compatibility for me and doesn't require me to figure out why there's no sound... :)

The only time I've been forced to resort to command line bashing on my own machines has been because of some crappy wireless chipset Dell used in an old laptop (which ended up being one of the classic "decide to trust advice stating that some binary-blob driver whose source is unavailable will solve the problem" situation, though credit where it's due - it did). Since then I've found that both Fedora and Ubuntu have installed quite happily without hassle.

The thing is, though, Windows had just as much horror in the past (ditto Apple, though since OS X 10.4 they've gotten very good at making their stuff mostly unobtrusive). I remember having to try and configure my modem and proxy settings via command line before I knew anything in depth with Windows, because whoever wrote the manual for the hardware I'd bought assumed that was what I'd want to do. I remember DLL hell, and dearly hope to never experience it again. I still infrequently have to deal with the arseache that is manually clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder in the event that a patch craps out and causes problems.

It sounds like you're a lot more accustomed to Windows and know your way around it than you might think, but because other systems are less familiar, you're thinking "Well it must just be that Windows is easier and more straightforward then" rather than "I just haven't used them as much". Thinking about it, I've been using Windows for around 20 years. Of course it's more familiar to me than any variant of Linux - I only really started properly paying attention with Linux about 8 years ago, when it became a more significant part of my job. And if you're not exposed to it in that fashion (and doubly so if you're stuck dealing with some of the online community around Linux, who can be a bit...forthright, let's say) it can be intimidating.

On the Windows 10 front, I've been fighting with my test laptop for the last day or so to get it to update to the latest build, and annoyingly it's finally decided to start updating but for no obvious reason. I'd actually prefer it to not work than to start working when nothing relevant has changed...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Windows vs Linux. Ugh.

nerd-fight-o.gif

Every. Time.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Linux is cool, but I think it would be better if poeple stopped saying it's a great system for novices. It isn't.
You keep repeating this as if everyone will magically start to agree with you based on anecdotal evidence. Since we're being anecdotal, my laptop (a bog-standard Asus Zenbook) doesn't work properly on Windows 8.1 without a mysterious proprietary touchpad driver blob from Asus's website and has no sound until I put it into hibernation and wake it up (which needs to happen every time at boot). In fact, driver sillyness and the tinkering needed was one of the main reasons I removed the Windows partition entirely (not to mention the weak touchpad drivers; strangely, the trackpad is just so much more responsive on Linux/Gnome). And the most important part: I don't have to install any driver on Linux (except for the ambient light sensor I don't use anyway), it was all supported out of the box by the kernel.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, didn't mean to start a WinLux fight.
I think perhaps we can say this:
"LINUX IS EASY TO USE" *

* Warning: Installing a new OS is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your data. Promotions and claims only applicable to those with beards. Individual experience may vary. ;-)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I upgraded 2 of my 3 computers yesterday and overall it went pretty smoothly. My laptop didn't suffer any hiccups, just took about 30 min. and it was done. My main PC was a little trickier but that might be due to the fact it's a custom built machine.

The upgrade stalled at about 35% forcing me to power off the machine. Thankfully when I restarted it booted to where it had left off and completed the upgrade. After that I did a clean install on two new SSD configured for RAID0. This thing flies: from cold boot to desktop takes about 10-sec.

So here are my thoughts on Windows 10. It's a nice clean interface, and the blend of modern apps with the traditional Start menu work well together.

Edge is fast and responsive. While I do think extensions should have been included day one it's nice they are coming in the near future. When that happens I think Edge will become a good competitor to Firefox and Chrome.

The notifications is a nice feature and, I think, works better than the one in OS X. One minor problem, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or misconfiguration, is that new email won't display in the notification area like it should. I'll have to play with it a little more, but for a simple and easy to use Mail app you can't go wrong.

If you were using Windows 8 or 8.1 the Charms bar and hot corners are gone. Good riddance. It's also nice Settings have been cleaned up. In 8 and 8.1 you had your Settings under Charms and then the usual Control Panel. It was very confusing. In Windows 10 you still have two, but it makes a lot more sense: Settings contains the most used settings the average person would use, but if you need something more advanced you can still access Control Panel. And they all tie together so the settings aren't in two different places, it's more like two ways of accessing the same settings. Much more straightforward.

I haven't tried Premiere yet, but so far everything seems to be compatible and running smoothly. I generally don't run real old software preferring to keep everything up-to-date, so if you have programs that are 5 or 10 years old or older you might bump into some issues.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is some bull-shit: Microsoft has been secretly downloading ~6 GB Windows 10 installation files to Windows 7 users who haven't asked for it, myself included. Here's how to get rid of the crap. :-?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
fuck windows 10, and while we're at it, fuck windows 8.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Windows 10 is awesome. I love it. Granted, MS shouldn't be downloading it to people's computers without notification. But, then again, at least they're not auto installing it.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My hard drive crashed last year.
Instead of reinstalling 7, I opted for Vista.
Less fussy in some ways, more fussy in others.
Now I am glad I went that route.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I never thought I'd read THAT sentence. I thought about 7 but then I went with VISTA??? :oops:
Oh, if you don't want win 10 (why? It's free. And it's zippy. And polished.) - then make sure Windows updates are set to important only. I.e. untick the "give me recommended updates" button.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Ah, but can you apply a Windows Classic theme? Windows Classic shall only be pried from my cold, dead mouse! :p

classic_zpsvhxhvymr.jpg

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You people are crazy. I hated the Classic look then (one of the reasons I went to Macland for a while), just as I hated Windows XP's look and Vista's aero look, and not even nostalgia will make me hate it less now just because it's old. Vista was crap then, and although service pack 1 fixed a lot of the issues it never got better than what's basically a bad beta version of Windows 7. It's also approaching end of life, although you have a year and a half to upgrade until it's unsupported, aka virus heaven. Windows 7 is a lot worse than people think, we've just learned to navigate around the convoluted menus and make sense of the nonsense over the years.

I see no reason to not update to Windows 10 apart from privacy issues, and you can turn all of the offending stuff off anyway. 8 and 8.1 was a bold attempt at fixing some of the convoluted mess Windows had become, but Windows 10 is the first time they got it right and the first time since Windows 3.1 where the system menus make sense.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
. . . then (one of the reasons I went to Macland for a while) . . .

I went the Linux route for several months.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
win-7-end-of-life.jpg

If there is anybody else like me who was clinging on to Windows7 (aka "the best OS ever made" IMO ;) ) and were concerned by the recent messages that Microsoft are stopping updates for it in early January in order to force you move over to Windows10 but you were worried about the switch over causing problems for all your in-the-works projects... then don't worry!

I updated a couple of days ago and I can't find any fanediting programs that don't work (I mainly use Vegas), or projects that won't open, or videos that won't render etc (so far anyway... touch wood). It was a quick update that I left running while I was out for a couple of hours and I came back and resumed editing without skipping a beat.

I still think when compared to the faultless, smooth running of W7, W10 is cr*p, slower to boot up, slower generally, glitchy, badly/over designed and frustrating but I can live with it.

You can still upgrade for free btw.

Top Bottom