• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Windows 10?

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering if anybody here has taken on the free upgrade to Windows 10 yet. I'm really concerned that I'm going to run into all sorts of compatibility issues with Adobe, Audacity, the codecs and the millieu of other software I've been using to make edits.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Windows 10 for months now.
There is (for so far) no problems with editing and other stuff
I use a enterprise Windows 10, the RTM version comes on july 29.
I don't see any differents with 8.1 , it works the same to me

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've put it on a test laptop and it's been mostly ok, the only bugs I've hit have been related to migrating between different test builds.

I have a backup desktop that I rarely use which I'll probably try out the RTM release on - it's currently on 8.1 Pro and has some video editing tools on it, so I'll upgrade it to 10 Pro and see how it gets on.

Personally, my main machine won't get upgrade to 10 for at least 6 months after general release (it's still on 7 - I quite like 8 and 8.1 but never bothered upgrading). Let other people do the bleeding-edge "find out what works" stuff.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My rule is to never trust an OS that's less then a year old.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
KMSpico appears to be a tool for piracy? Why are you ripping off windows? Just pay for the software or don't use it.... linux is free.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem with Linux is a lot of my software won't cooperate with it.
Two laptops crashed recently, and I used Puppy Slacko for both until I could replace the hard drive in one, reinstall the OS in the other.
Linux seemed OK for surfing - actually a godsend when I needed to study tutorials and visit tech forums - but I wasn't doing much else.
I'm not knocking it (I keep Slacko on two flash drives), but there were too many limitations for me too view Linux as anything other than rescue OS.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been running builds of Windows 10 since Feb and besides bugs of new features within the OS I haven't encountered any show stopping problems. Adobe CS6 has been working fine for me.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't give a fuck about linux.
I use windows because it's for me the best system to work on.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is against site rules to discuss piracy. Maniac, stop. I don't care if you think it's justified or whatever. Just stop. This is a warning.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
It is against site rules to discuss piracy. Maniac, stop. I don't care if you think it's justified or whatever. Just stop. This is a warning.

And here's the written Rule about it:

5. No Pirates. No discussion of piracy whatsoever. All posts which mention pirating material for personal use will be moderated. On a first offense the member will receive a warning. On a second offense he will receive an infraction.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the message is clear Neg.
I delete some of my lines in the post
Well, no hard feelings Mods i hope;-)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac51 said:
I think the message is clear Neg.
I delete some of my lines in the post
Well, no hard feelings Mods i hope;-)

No hard feelings here. Thank you for being amicable.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that linux is rubbish for general use - Windows is a great OS, and therefore worthy of purchasing. A few times I've dipped into Linux - and a week later, after fiddling around with the command line for ages, it always ends with screw this, I'm buying Windows! :).
Personally I'm looking forward to Win10, particularly DX12. My win8.1 machines will be upgraded instantly. Win7 (main machine) I'll wait a bit until I'm sure everything works a-ok!

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Linux is the BEST OS for general use. What you all describe is specialized use (NLE's, Adobe CS, etc), and for that Windows will be better since the FOSS alternatives, like Gimp, KDEnlive, etc. are less feature-complete. For general use, Linux is simple, works out of the box, has a free app store, and is completely virus-free (and all other kinds of free). Windows - with its bizarre menu structure, two sets of interfaces, etc. - is 10 times more complex for new users than a Gnome-based distro like Ubuntu Gnome, with its simplified menus and rock-solid base. I've installed Mint or Ubuntu Gnome on novice users' laptops, and they've all thanked me.

Also, If you don't have weird setups, shiny new hardware without kernel support (yet) or were tempted to try something advanced like Arch Linux, I'm curious what you're spending ages on the command line for.

That said, Windows 10 looks pretty good, and I think Microsoft's direction under Satya Nadella looks really promising. I'm tempted to try dual boot.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, and no, and again no. Linux NEVER "works out of the box". Ever. At all. Each year I get duped into thinking - hmm. maybe this is the year that Linux finally becomes user friendly. And within 30 minutes something I need to do involves going into the command line. And then again. And again. Marvellous. If I wanted DOS I'd go back to '88... If I wanted to type reams of commands from a magazine / forum I'd go back to my days with the C64.... :)
Last thing I did was set up an XMBC dedicated Linux box. After a week of faffing about with command line interfaces and old bits of code written 20 years ago but still part of the kernel (the sound controls for Linux are shockingly bad and well out of date) I got fed up, deleted the entire partion, smacked Windows on, downloaded XMBC and was up and running within 2 hours.
I am a great fan of open source software, but Linux is a pipe dream. If it worked well, like, say, Audacity, then everybody would be running it.
Win 8.1 is horrible with its dual interface - that's why I installed startisback on my parents computer and haven't had a tech request since :)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
No, and no, and again no. Linux NEVER "works out of the box". Ever. At all. Each year I get duped into thinking - hmm. maybe this is the year that Linux finally becomes user friendly. And within 30 minutes something I need to do involves going into the command line. And then again. And again.

That. You can't dupe people into thinking Linux, Ubuntu, CentOS or whichever derivative is best. For general home use, like internet browsing, online shopping, checking your mail, etc, I'd easily recommend Windows to everyone. Yes, even in its latest iterations. If you're a bit more tech-savvy or have specific needs (apps, tech or such) you can already opt for an Apple, and if you absolutely know what you're doing and know commandline better than your way around the house then yes Linux will be just right for you.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Slight tangent - I've spent my working life providing tech support across Windows, a couple of flavours of Linux and OS X (generally focusing on Windows and OS X). I disagree that Linux sucks for daily use; once set up correctly there are many distributions and shells which are great. The problem is getting it set up, which tends to push a lot of the work back on the end user. Some distros save you a lot of the work (Mint and Ubuntu are both pretty dang easy these days), others expect you to have a better knowledge of what's happening, which can be very offputting. If you've been using Windows for years - especially for gaming - you'll have learned a lot about how to fix common problems, even if you don't think you have. Switching over to Linux involves relearning all of those things from scratch again. The same is true of OS X. There is no "best OS", there is simply that which suits your needs and requires the least amount of learning new skills. (Case in point - Microsoft Exchange vs sendmail. I know which I'd trust more, Active Directory integration notwithstanding. But for a lot of admins, Exchange will be sufficiently more familiar that it wins out even if it's technically deficient compared to the alternatives, because it's easier to bed in to an already-Microsoft environment.)

Bringing it back to editing - it's possible to create fanedits under linux, but again it requires a lot of work to get the tools set up correctly. If you don't happen to also be genuinely interested in getting to grips with your chosen flavourof Linux, this will quickly get extremely tedious.

All of which reminds me - I keep meaning to try out OpenShot, perhaps I should chuck it on my Fedora install and try putting an edit together with it and see how it compares to Vegas...

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can understand the frustration but I think some of your statements are a bit broad. There are many different distros. I've used Ubuntu for years with very little command line shenanigans. That's kinda like saying that Android phones don't work very well because you used HTCs that didn't work. Motos are different from Samsung, etc. That's actually a great analogy since Android is just skinned Linux. Hate to be that guy but Linux is a kernel. The OS can work great or poorly, though there is always a bit more technical knowledge required to fix stuff.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I challenge everyone making blanket statements in this thread to try the newest Ubuntu Gnome on a live USB.

No, and no, and again no. Linux NEVER "works out of the box". Ever. At all.
This is just factually incorrect. I don't really care what kind of hardware your compatibility woes stem from, but they're obviously that. People check compatibility before they buy a PC game, the same advice is sound before installing a whole operating system. I don't know when you last tried XBMC either, but I installed Kodibuntu (the most recent standalone linux version for HTPCs) on a new Intel-based machine recently, and it took about 10 minutes. All GUI, no terminal necessary. The same is true for AMD-based machines, while NVIDIA needs one closed-source package which Ubuntu will provide for you. I've also tried virtually every major distro on both my laptops, and apart from the external docking not working on my crap Dell (which, btw, locks up constantly on Windows 7) it's been smooth sailing.

If it worked well, like, say, Audacity, then everybody would be running it.
This is also untrue, since 95 percent of users (probably much higher) never touch the OS in any substantial way, and there will not be any increase in Linux desktop adoption until it becomes available pre-installed on laptops. Which is happening now, albeit slowly.

For general home use, like internet browsing, online shopping, checking your mail, etc, I'd easily recommend Windows to everyone.
Completely disagree. If Firefox and Chrome - which is how people browse, shop and check mail - are safer and faster on Linux (and they are), why bother with Windows at all? Windows' strengths lie in being supported by industry-standard software while being more suited for power users than OSX, not in using the web.

Top Bottom