• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Suicide Squad (2016)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points

David Ayer has a spotty track record when it comes to his directorial efforts. So far he has a consistent pattern of Great Movie, Lame Movie, Great Movie, Super Lame Movie, Super Great Movie. If he continues this trend then I fear "Suicide Squad" will fall into the Lame category.

I think the look of Joker is pretty ridiculous, but Jared Leto's acting seems good (for the one line of dialogue he's given in this trailer). I am happy to see Harley Quinn and Deadshot finally make it to the big screen.

So, what do you guys think? Will this end up being a disaster, a thing of beauty, or somewhere in between?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Probably in between but received as the former, if I had to guess. I'm ever the optimist, though. The cast is fantastic and it looks suited to the somber DC colors/universe most out of all their upcoming stuff in my opinion.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually find myself quite excited for this. It comes across like a mirror-universe Avengers, with the government recruiting villains to accomplish the greater good. Even Jared Leto's Joker, which has gotten heavy criticism for his look, was actually quite terrifying imo (those freaking bug-eyes, man...). Also, if the movie is successful, it would make me feel a little better about jumping right into Justice League, since it'll show you won't need so much time dedicating an origin movie to everybody.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think some people on the webs (not all - I've read other comments) underestimate the range of Jared Leto. Surprisingly though he's getting a lot of good grades out there. Completely different response from what I anticipated. Overall positive to highly excited remarks. I think he's going to knock it right out of the park :)

I doubt if he even got a say in how the Joker will look (or maybe just a little?) but I think he looks great. Could've done without the tattoos, don't like that All-Star Batman Joker look that much, but he'll probably be in a suit more often than not. I do like how it's a more buff Joker. One that definitely looks like he can hold his own against Batman (at least for a while).

If you put some scenes from the trailer together it appears that Harley is the one on the table that Joker is going to zap.

I got chills from Joker's laugh and voice and it didn't remind me of TDK at all. It's probably a good thing they decided to step away from Heath Ledger's version so radically. This Joker looks just as psychotic, but in a completely different way somehow.

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm getting mixed feelings with the trailer. Something tells me I should be going wild for the New Joker, but somehow it doesn't quite light up that spark as much as when I first saw Heath ledger. I know I shouldn't be comparing them, but I guess those are huge shoes to fill. From what little I've seen on the trailer its hard to judge his portrayal but he most definitely does fit the bill.

I'm really excited for Deadshot and Harley Quinn finally being featured on the big screen (Margot Robbie, I mean, damn), and to see how Batman fits in with all of this.

Definitely excited for the movie, and I will be going to see it when it comes out, because you can't really judge a movie based on a trailer or two.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
New trailer. Not sure how good this flick will be.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love this trailer. The edit is fantastic, and Harley and Joker seem perfect to me. Really looking forward to it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure how I feel.

On the one hand, I'm sad she's not even trying to do the Harley Quinn voice. On the other hand, at least she's not trying and failing and just doing a stupid voice, it's more natural.
I'm glad they're putting Killer Croc into a live action film and I like practical makeup effects generally but not sure how I feel about his overall look, it could be a little goofy, so I hope it's not.
I'm curious how much Batman and how much Joker will be in this film, I feel like that might take focus away from the main plot if it's not integrated well.
Will Smith and Jai Courtney are the two unknowns in this situation, weirdly. I don't recognize Diablo or Slipknot, I hope I have their names right. The trailer wasn't bad, necessarily. I'll have to watch it again.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I put together a rough super cut mashup of all three trailers. See it here: ​

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very well done! You handled the musical shifts really well. I didn't even realize there was that much footage until I watched this; it really adds up.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Very well done! You handled the musical shifts really well. I didn't even realize there was that much footage until I watched this; it really adds up.

Thanks, there are a few rough spots but overall for the short amount of time spent, I think it does its job, which is to show all available footage with some sort of structure. Glad the transitions worked well enough for you!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Asylum strikes (out) again.... lol

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
According to Rotten Tomatoes, we could well be going into this movie with our editing caps on. :dodgy:

Here's Chris Stuckman's review

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like a long directors cut and a good fan edited version could make this a B+, but probably not an A.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The superbly edited trailers subdued my initial fears for this movie that...

- David Ayers is a really inconsistent Director
- Will Smith is in it, so could possibly hog the limelight, despite it being an ensemble of tier-b superheroes
- It would be dark and sombre instead of bright and fun
- Jai Courtney was in it
- It would have the same BvS problem of shoehorning too much sh*t in there, at a cost to plot and character

(...and later, that post BvS reshoots would render the film a mess like Fant4stic).

It seems from the initial reviews that some but not all of these things are a problem. Still I'm glad to hear that Margot Robbie nails it as Harley Quinn, as she was my main reason for being wowed by the trailers. I'll still go see it despite the poor reviews.

jammentorp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw it at 6PM yesterday, and wow...... what a mess. Tonally inconsistent, and I couldn't find a reason (other than marketing as many characters as possible with Funko Pops and t-shirts) for any of the following characters to be in the movie at all: Boomerang, Croc, Katana, and even The Joker. None of them have any character arcs whatsoever, nor are they essential for the mission Waller sends them on.

It's always a bad sign if you can isolate a character and ask "Why was _____ in this movie?" without coming up with any sort of answer. Characters that aren't essential to the story don't belong in the movie!

The DCEU is putting up an 0-fer so far... save us, Batfleck solo movies.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am so sorry to hear that, but I am still hopeful for the film.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I honestly don't think I've ever experienced a film quite like 'Suicide Squad'.

The performances were spot on by the super-talented cast (Joker was just okay though). Even Jai Courtney was good, and Will Smith reminds us what he can do on the screen when he's on top form. The cinematography was surprisingly good for a superhero flick. The characters were well written and motivated (Sometimes even deep) with good dialogue. The character design was superb, balancing realism and comic-book fantasy very well.  The characters were also a lot of fun, sometimes loveable and sometimes hateable.

So given all that, it was kinda impressive how monumentally incoherent and shambolic this movie was. I have absolutely no doubt from what I saw, that David Ayer shot a really fantastic movie... but what happened to it afterwards in the editing room is another story. The editing is staggeringly bad, confused and directionless (Did the Ghostbusters trailer people edit this thing?). It sometimes feels like the "projectionist" has jumbled up the reels of several different DC films and then hastily glued bits back together.

Spoilers ahead as I'm just gonna try explaining this movie to myself  :huh:  ...

SS opens with a couple of totally random music videos of some members of the squad. The editors get bored with that technique after a few minutes and they suddenly remember to start the movie and we get the proper beginning with Viola Davis at dinner setting the plot up to a couple of straight men. Only the editors decide to constantly interupt her with endless really long and confusing flashbacks. Then once the movie is setup, they move the "action" to a different room where Davis explains the movie again to a different set of people in case you forgot from all the flashbacks. More flashbacks. Next we move to a prison where the plot is explained in more detail and oops we forgot to introduce a couple of characters. More flashbacks. The generic villain blue-laser-in-the-sky subplot is introduced. More flashbacks. Now our anti-heroes head off on their first mission... only you suddenly get the awful feeling that this is also the last mission too and the rest of the movie is just going to be this (and it is). It immediately becomes clear that this film's primary influence is John Carpenter's 'Escape from New York' and the rest of the plot settles into more or less following the style, tone and setting/plot of that movie. I quite liked this angle and the film becomes a bit more coherent at this point. More flashbacks. I forgot to mention (Easily done considering how inconsequential he is to most of the plot) that somewhere in all of that mess, Joker was setup via more flashbacks, doing stuff and saying stuff and... erm, I'm not really sure to be honest? More flashbacks. Our heroes sit down for a drink where they further explain their backstories to each other via more flashbacks. The typical big superhero finale commences, where the villain attacks the SS with flashbacks and dream sequences (Perhaps the villain is a cypher for the editors themselves?). Then Davis turns up again right at the end to reset the plot back to exactly where it was at the beginning of the movie... just so writing a sequel won't be too taxing.

Oh and the general hyperactive editing, bland yet overbearing score and lazy music choices were also annoying. Seriously? You are using a song from the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack?

If there is a super-extended edition, with additional bonus material on top, I'm sure this can be fanedited into a masterpiece. As only a complete recut from top to bottom, with rescoring and everything can save this movie from it's editing.

Seriously Warner Brothers, pull this movie from theatres, hire some talented editors and re-release it later in the year. It's shameful to present this clearly well made movie full of potential and promise, in this sad and sorry state and is only going to damage your finances long term.

Rant over :D .

Actually no, one last thing. You know that spectacular set of shots in the trailer (at about 1.37)...

...where the Helicopter is firing flares in every direction like a balletic fireworks display set perfectly to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in such a thrilling way? A real "F**K YEAH!!! I wanna see this movie!" sequence. So how in the hell did they make such amazing footage look and feel so boring and drab in the actual movie? Anti-talent, that's how.

Top Bottom