• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman Forever director Joel Schumacher expresses thanks to fan editor

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...-joel-schumacher-talks-batman-forever-legacy/

Joel Schumacher was recently interviewed for an article on Forbes.com. He was asked if he had seen Scaperat's fan edit Batman Forever: Red Book Edition --

Q: I’m wondering if you’ve seen something. There is an alternate version of the film, known as Batman Forever: Red Book Edition, where an editor with tremendous skills — nobody knows who, it was done anonymously — took the deleted scenes, and took the film and put it all back together and made a few little edits here and there to try to create the film that you’ve talked about wanting to have made over the years, something more serious and a little darker. It’s a tremendous accomplishment, and even many people who criticized the theatrical release saw this version and loved it. It won the film many new fans, in other words. Have you seen this unofficial fan-edited Red Book Edition?

[Joel Schumacher]: No… Can I see it? Is there any way I can thank the editor? You can certainly put a thank you from me, for loving it enough to do that and taking such care!

The interview is on page 2, but the writer also had this to say about Batman Forever: Red Book Edition in his editorial on page 1:

The theatrical cut of Batman Forever is in fact missing a lot of what Schumacher was trying to create. There is an alternate version called Batman Forever: Red Book Edition, which is an unofficial, fantastic fan-edit containing all of the great deleted footage edited back into the movie (including a training sequence with Bruce and Dick, in which Bruce opens up about killing) while many of the campier lines are cut out and the neon coloring is toned down. You get a clearer sense Schumacher was attempting to craft a much more dramatic and complex approach to Batman’s psychology and characterization.

In fact, there is a sequence about a childhood Bruce falling down the well and first encountering the bats that created his fear, and this concept ended up being revived in Batman Begins. With a freer hand to completely make the film he wanted (which would’ve looked much more like the Red Book Edition) Schumacher could’ve delivered a film that was highly regarded by all fans and that took the series in a different, sustainable direction.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Somehow I missed this thread before. Very cool!

I dream of a world where Schumaker sees the edit someday and loves it so much that he demands that Warner Bros. put it as a special feature on whatever the video format of the day is. :)

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's pretty cool that people actually bring this stuff up in the interviews every once in a while. I'd love to know if Schumacher ever found it and if so, what did he think?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Somehow I missed this thread before. Very cool!

I dream of a world where Schumaker sees the edit someday and loves it so much that he demands that Warner Bros. put it as a special feature on whatever the video format of the day is. :)

I would absolutely _love_ if something like this happened!

Top Bottom