• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rec

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

looks really good, and of course with any decent foreign fllm, Hollywood are remaking it :oops: :roll:

going to watch it tomorrow night, hopefully 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' will be laugh (seeing that in the afternoon) but am saving Rec just in case i need some decent cinema ;)

bigrob

Reaction score
Trophy Points
saw this last month.

fantastic film !!!!!!!!!!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cool, looking forward to watching it.

stplayahtn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this a couple weeks ago. Fantastic hooror flick. It was actually scary...or would be if I wasn't so desensatized from watching every horror movie that comes down the pike.

Spoilers:
I though it added a nice twist to the zombie genre, by only making you think it's about zombies. The ending is one of my most memorable in a while simply because it combines two different horror elements: possesion and zombies. Really interesting.
Spoilers:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
actually i was pretty bored by the whole thing, fairly generic horror movie if you ask me, im glad i saw it but its not one i will be ever watching again.

the whole 'reality' thing is becoming very tiresome in movies now. :-(

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was a good horror movie in blair witch/cloverfield style that delivered a lot scares. Good acting.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spent one night watching REC and then Quarantine(the US remake).

The story itself is pretty good and I like the idea. Quite liked it, nothing amazing, but we're not seeing anything new from the likes of 'The Zombie Diaries' or the dreadful 'Diary of the Dead'. But if you like your Zombie films, check it out.

If there's a question on which is better - well to be honest, not really either version. The American version has a few more characters, but largely sticks to the Spanish plot - with the odd change. I watched with a friend and we agreed that there was nothing to gain from watching REC, if you'd watched Quarantine.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
I watched with a friend and we agreed that there was nothing to gain from watching Quarantine, if you'd watched REC.

Fixed.

I don't get why people would watch a remake before the original. It just spoils the original.

REC got a 95% rating on rottentomatoes. That's higher than The Dark Knight. While its remake Quarantine got a 59% rating.

Do yourself a service, always watch the original first. There's more to movies than just plot.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Woah, don't be elitist.

Did watch REC first and then Quarantine. The difference is minimal, aside more character development in Quarantine.

I stand by the statement - you gain nothing from watching REC first, unless you're Spanish speaking.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
REC is subtitled, you don't need to speak spanish to enjoy it.

Following your logic there is nothing to be gained from watching the original Psycho when you've seen the 1998 remake because the differences are minimal.

Not trying to start a fight here - I just don't agree with your review at all.

Also, by watching the original before the remake was even anounced, I watched it fresh, without the images of the american trailer in my head, which spoiled the very last shot of the movie.

I hate remakes of foreign films. I have yet to see one that is better than the original.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda said:
I don't get why people would watch a remake before the original. It just spoils the original.

REC got a 95% rating on rottentomatoes. That's higher than The Dark Knight. While its remake Quarantine got a 59% rating.

Do yourself a service, always watch the original first. There's more to movies than just plot.
Meh... I remember people telling me that the Japanese The Ring was sooooo much better than the American remake, but frankly, I love the US remake a lot more than the original Japanese version (at least the remake got rid of that retarded "ESP/Psychic" crap of the original and move the story more into the realm of the supernatural).

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
blueyoda said:

Meh... I remember people telling me that the Japanese The Ring was sooooo much better than the American remake, but frankly, I love the US remake a lot more than the original Japanese version (at least the remake got rid of that retarded "ESP/Psychic" crap of the original and move the story more into the realm of the supernatural).

I'm pretty sure you saw the remake before the original.

The Ring and its remake are completely different movies.

The original one is filmed like a mystery thriller. The premise is ridiculous - a haunted VHS tape - yet you are slowly drawn in, wanting to believe it's true. [spoiler:14aybn0q]You never clearly see anything surpernatural happen until the girl comes out of the TV[/spoiler:14aybn0q] at which point your blood turns to ice because your worst fears are realized.

The remake is the total opposite. It's a ghost story right from the start, spooky special-effects every 15 minutes routine, and it follows the formulatic find-what-will-appease-the-angry-ghost plot device. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. I actually enjoyed it. But if you saw it before the original, of course it would ruin it.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda said:
I'm pretty sure you saw the remake before the original.
Nooooooooo... I saw the original version first followed by the US remake and I STILL prefer the remake to the original. :roll:

Look, I'm not saying that every remake is automatically better than the original film (in fact, I'm dreading the US remake of the Swedish Let The Right One In). However, the notion that the original versions are ALWAYS superior to the remakes is just as narrow-minded and stupid as the former viewpoint (it's just on the opposite end of the spectrum).

On another topic, the last good zombie movie that I saw was Mulberry Street - yeah, the zombies aren't really the "undead" zombies (more like "rat mutant" zombies), but the story was kinda clever and the characters had a lot of depth and originality to them for a horror film cast.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
the notion that the original versions are ALWAYS superior to the remakes is just as narrow-minded and stupid as the former viewpoint (it's just on the opposite end of the spectrum)

I did sound narrow-minded, didn't I.

I guess all I'm saying is that you should always check out the original version of a movie before its remake. To give it a chance to shine before potentially killing it by watching an awful remake.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw REC & loved it. Haven't seen the remake so I'll with hold judgement.

I saw Ringu before the remake & loved it, one of the best horror films I've seen in my life. I saw the US remake & was very disapointed. It felt so drawn out & slow compared to the original. Ringu had a pace to it & you really felt time was running out at the end, where The Ring just plods along.

Also, I hate how they dumbed down the husband in the US version. In the Jap version the husband was an intelligent man, in the US version he was your typical cliche male character of a immature male who hasn't grown up & faced up to his responsibilities. Actually I think it was that reason alone I took a dislike to the film.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why is this called Rec when even IMDB lists this as Quarantine?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:

Spanish language original version is called REC.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:

did you actually read any of this thread?!? :lol: :p

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
T-HOPE said:

did you actually read any of this thread?!? :lol: :p
Nope :D

I already knew about the movie Quarantine, which I believed was the same as Rec, so I skipped the most basic posts. Didn't know it was a remake...

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:
Nope :D

I already knew about the movie Quarantine, which I believed was the same as Rec, so I skipped the most basic posts. Didn't know it was a remake...

Excellent. :lol:

Top Bottom