If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Rec
blueyoda Wrote:I don't get why people would watch a remake before the original. It just spoils the original.

REC got a 95% rating on rottentomatoes. That's higher than The Dark Knight. While its remake Quarantine got a 59% rating.

Do yourself a service, always watch the original first. There's more to movies than just plot.
Meh... I remember people telling me that the Japanese The Ring was sooooo much better than the American remake, but frankly, I love the US remake a lot more than the original Japanese version (at least the remake got rid of that retarded "ESP/Psychic" crap of the original and move the story more into the realm of the supernatural).
**Completed Fanedits**
A.I. [super-toys last all summer long]
Star Wars: Attack of the Federation
Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic
Star Wars: The Black Knight Rises
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
The Matrix Evolutions
Pulse: Red Tape Remix
Star Wars: Shadows of the Old Republic
Pandora
JasonN Wrote:
blueyoda Wrote:I don't get why people would watch a remake before the original. It just spoils the original.

REC got a 95% rating on rottentomatoes. That's higher than The Dark Knight. While its remake Quarantine got a 59% rating.

Do yourself a service, always watch the original first. There's more to movies than just plot.
Meh... I remember people telling me that the Japanese The Ring was sooooo much better than the American remake, but frankly, I love the US remake a lot more than the original Japanese version (at least the remake got rid of that retarded "ESP/Psychic" crap of the original and move the story more into the realm of the supernatural).

I'm pretty sure you saw the remake before the original.

The Ring and its remake are completely different movies.

The original one is filmed like a mystery thriller. The premise is ridiculous - a haunted VHS tape - yet you are slowly drawn in, wanting to believe it's true. [spoiler:14aybn0q]You never clearly see anything surpernatural happen until the girl comes out of the TV[/spoiler:14aybn0q] at which point your blood turns to ice because your worst fears are realized.

The remake is the total opposite. It's a ghost story right from the start, spooky special-effects every 15 minutes routine, and it follows the formulatic find-what-will-appease-the-angry-ghost plot device. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. I actually enjoyed it. But if you saw it before the original, of course it would ruin it.
Good artists copy but great artists steal.

-blueyoda
blueyoda Wrote:I'm pretty sure you saw the remake before the original.
Nooooooooo... I saw the original version first followed by the US remake and I STILL prefer the remake to the original. :roll:

Look, I'm not saying that every remake is automatically better than the original film (in fact, I'm dreading the US remake of the Swedish Let The Right One In). However, the notion that the original versions are ALWAYS superior to the remakes is just as narrow-minded and stupid as the former viewpoint (it's just on the opposite end of the spectrum).

On another topic, the last good zombie movie that I saw was Mulberry Street - yeah, the zombies aren't really the "undead" zombies (more like "rat mutant" zombies), but the story was kinda clever and the characters had a lot of depth and originality to them for a horror film cast.
**Completed Fanedits**
A.I. [super-toys last all summer long]
Star Wars: Attack of the Federation
Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic
Star Wars: The Black Knight Rises
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
The Matrix Evolutions
Pulse: Red Tape Remix
Star Wars: Shadows of the Old Republic
Pandora
JasonN Wrote:the notion that the original versions are ALWAYS superior to the remakes is just as narrow-minded and stupid as the former viewpoint (it's just on the opposite end of the spectrum)

I did sound narrow-minded, didn't I.

I guess all I'm saying is that you should always check out the original version of a movie before its remake. To give it a chance to shine before potentially killing it by watching an awful remake.
Good artists copy but great artists steal.

-blueyoda
I saw REC & loved it. Haven't seen the remake so I'll with hold judgement.

I saw Ringu before the remake & loved it, one of the best horror films I've seen in my life. I saw the US remake & was very disapointed. It felt so drawn out & slow compared to the original. Ringu had a pace to it & you really felt time was running out at the end, where The Ring just plods along.

Also, I hate how they dumbed down the husband in the US version. In the Jap version the husband was an intelligent man, in the US version he was your typical cliche male character of a immature male who hasn't grown up & faced up to his responsibilities. Actually I think it was that reason alone I took a dislike to the film.
Why is this called Rec when even IMDB lists this as Quarantine?
T-HOPE Ultimate Terminator Fanedit serie:
- Terminator 3
- Terminator 2 3D
- Terminator 2: Live / 5D
- Terminator Salvation
--- Currently on fanedit hiatus ---
Planned:
* The Terminator Bonus disc(s)
* Terminator 2 Bonus discs
* The Terminator: Dawn Of Fate
T-HOPE Wrote:Why is this called Rec when even IMDB lists this as Quarantine?

Spanish language original version is called REC.
"I'm super....dooper serial."

Fanedits: Independence Day Redeclared | Samantha Darko | Accountability | Godzilla: Zilla
Preservations:  A Fistful of Fingers

did you actually read any of this thread?!? :lol: :-P
'Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves'

Bill

Guybrush: Im looking for 30 dead guys and one woman.
Cannibal: I dont want to hear anymore about it.

Ahhh The Cuttlefish & Asparagus or The Vanilla Paste?
-Chinese guy
nOmArch Wrote:

did you actually read any of this thread?!? :lol: :-P
Nope Big Grin

I already knew about the movie Quarantine, which I believed was the same as Rec, so I skipped the most basic posts. Didn't know it was a remake...
T-HOPE Ultimate Terminator Fanedit serie:
- Terminator 3
- Terminator 2 3D
- Terminator 2: Live / 5D
- Terminator Salvation
--- Currently on fanedit hiatus ---
Planned:
* The Terminator Bonus disc(s)
* Terminator 2 Bonus discs
* The Terminator: Dawn Of Fate
T-HOPE Wrote:Nope Big Grin

I already knew about the movie Quarantine, which I believed was the same as Rec, so I skipped the most basic posts. Didn't know it was a remake...

Excellent. :lol: