• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Roto Brush

FantasyWorkshop

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I downloaded the free trial for After Effects CC 2014 to try out the Roto Brush for some rotoscoping, & after watching some tutorials, gave it a go. I just wanted to know if there was anyone else here who has used this with any success, as it isnt working so great for me. I am using sd footage, so that maybe be part of it.

Problem is, after painting the matte with the rotobrush around the figure I want to isolate, Im still having to make adjustments every single frame, & on more than one part of the figure. It almost seems to me that this would take just as long, if not longer, than doing it by hand, with tracing a traditional mask around the figure & making slight adjustments every frame, which Ive tried alsouch better results.

So, does this really work well, & would it save time overall, or would I be just better off going the old school way & doing it by hand?

Neuros

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been using the rotobrush a lot lately for background replacements in SD footage but you're right, it can take alot of work and I often find some parts can involve constant correction, frame by frame. Enough practice though and it does start to get easier but it does take an awful lot of patience. I've closed the program and deleted my progress multiple times in frustration.

Top Bottom