• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Voice to music ratio

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I get many complaints about the level of my music. I keep turning it down, but I still get complaints.

In this clip, during the conversation at unit HQ (at about 2 minutes in), I have the music playing at -21db [PEAK] and the voices are at -6db [PEAK]. That seems like a pretty big difference to me. Any lower and it sounds weird to me.

At the beginning where there is no dialogue, The music runs at -12db [PEAK], which also seems good (infact a bit quiet for my tatses) because the music is the main "voice" of the scene.

So is there some sort of golden or ideal sound levels for music? What's the deal yo?

For best effect, when there is new music during dialogue you should really adjust it throughout the scene rather than just letting it run at one volume.

Uncanny Antman said:
For best effect, when there is new music during dialogue you should really adjust it throughout the scene rather than just letting it run at one volume.

^ this. Keep in mind that, often, when a score is composed for film, the composer has a cut of the movie to work off of, so the music is often written with the dialogue or action in mind. It can be difficult to fit new music over a scene, and as Antman suggested, you typically need to edit the volume continually. Try adding a volume envelope.

Uncanny Antman said:

I do. Those volumes listed are just the peak volumes.

ThrowgnCpr said:
^ this. Keep in mind that, often, when a score is composed for film, the composer has a cut of the movie to work off of, so the music is often written with the dialogue or action in mind. It can be difficult to fit new music over a scene, and as Antman suggested, you typically need to edit the volume continually. Try adding a volume envelope.

Isn't a volume envelope just adjusting the volume as I go along or is it something else?

Back
Top Bottom