• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

speakers for editing in 5.1

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
may the lords of the realm forgive me if a thread on this matter precedes mine.

dudes, how do you listen to your 5.1 project during the editing phase?

5.1 speakers of home theater quality?
5.1 so-called computer speakers?
5.1/7.1 headphones?
cyberhellhounds barking you the sonic data from the flaming points of your home office pentagram?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just use cheapo earbuds. But when I'm done, I always review it with home theater 5.1 speakers, make corrections, and review it again.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use a pair of large stereo headphones, but like Frink, check the final mix on my home theater setup.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
coolio, frink & throw, tenks for the responses.

anyone familiar with sound bars like this one?
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-leviathan

and for either 5.1 headphones or 4.1/5.1 speakers hooked up to a computer, is the audio out jack sufficient to provide 5.1 information? I was under the impression that standard audio jacks conveyed signals only in mono or stereo, so how do they accommodate additional channels?

edit: cursory readings indicate that some audio out jacks have dual analog & optical transmission.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know this is an old thread, but it seems like the right one to post in.

I've been pondering on maybe getting some cheap surround computer speakers to help with accuracy during mixing/editing (though I would still watch through drafts on a proper system). Is there anyone who currently does this who can maybe recommend a cheap but reliable set?

@"TVs Frink" @"ThrowgnCpr" - I don't know if your methods are the same since posting here, but in Vegas there's a button for downmixing to stereo which I didn't realise existed until today. When mixing surround on a stereo setup, do you guys use that/alternative? If so, do you find it helps?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had no clue that existed.

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I've been pondering on maybe getting some cheap surround computer speakers to help with accuracy during mixing/editing (though I would still watch through drafts on a proper system). Is there anyone who currently does this who can maybe recommend a cheap but reliable set?

I recently bought a second hand set of the creative labs inspire 5300 speakers. There were a few available on Ebay for about the price of a modern cheap set. But they look good, they sound great and have shown exactly where my surround editing had problems that I couldn't hear when editing 5.1 in a stereo setup.

As I have a Mac I needed the CSL USB 7.1 external sound card to connect it, and that worked, a few quirks, but it worked.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the tip, @"DSM2337" . I've just managed to pick up that same model off ebay for £20.

However, I've just realised... I'm not sure my computer's motherboard has the right inputs for a 5.1 system... Just a single aux input. Can this be gotten around using an adapter of sorts? Or do I need to invest in a device of some kind..?

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Thanks for the tip, @"DSM2337" . I've just managed to pick up that same model off ebay for £20.

However, I've just realised... I'm not sure my computer's motherboard has the right inputs for a 5.1 system... Just a single aux input. Can this be gotten around using an adapter of sorts? Or do I need to invest in a device of some kind..?

That's a good price. It sounds like you need a new soundcard. As I said above, I bought the CSL USB 7.1 external sound card, about £25 on Amazon. It connects via USB and was pretty painless on the Mac, but I think is aimed at PC users. Just plug it in, and select the device in your sound output options. For the Mac, I then had to open the MIDI application in utilities, that lets you test each speakers output and adjust the volume for each.

Top Bottom