• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Muppets (2015 ABC series)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After the (very good and much superior to its predecessor) Muppets Most Wanted underperformed, The Muppets are now coming back to TV... in a show called The Muppets!

Vulture: (excerpts from a longer article)

After a two-decade absence from series television, ABC announced Tuesday that the Muppets will once again have a weekly time slot: Tuesdays at 8 p.m., starting this fall. Their comeback vehicle is The Muppets, and it’s being overseen by comedy veterans Bill Prady (The Big Bang Theory) and Bob Kushell (3rd Rock From the Sun).

The Muppets are now working on a (fake) late-night TV show.
Back in the 1970s, The Muppet Show had the gang putting on a vaudeville-style spectacular. Prady says The Muppets will find our furry friends “producing a late-night show like [Jimmy] Kimmel, and it’s hosted by Miss Piggy.” (Finally — a woman gets a network late-night show!) “Kermit is the executive producer of the show, which puts him in the same harried, caught-in-the-middle situation,” Prady adds. “Miss Piggy is Miss Piggy, in terms of her personality and her approach to things. The staff you’ll see working on the show — some are human, some are bears and frogs. And no one seems to notice.”

There’s a reason the new series isn’t a variety show like the original.
After talking to Prady, it seems clear he and his team aren’t looking to reboot the iconic characters or radically remake them. Instead, they’re just trying to do the same thing the original show did: gently satirize the popular culture of the time. “The Muppet Show was a variety show because when it was on, that was the dominant form of television,” Prady explains. “If you turned the TV on then, what [did] you see? Sonny and Cher and Carol Burnett and Flip Wilson and Richard Pryor and Lily Tomlin. That was television. So The Muppet Show made fun of variety.”

Today, there are no true variety shows in prime time. If The Muppets were to just remake The Muppet Show as it is, it would be resurrecting a TV format rather than skewering it.

The new format doesn’t mean there won’t be guest stars, musical numbers, and other variety elements.

The Muppets will delve deeper into the personal lives of the characters than the original show.Prady says his interest in going beyond the felt with the Muppets goes back to the 1970s and ’80s. “I used to imagine when I was watching the old Muppet Show that there’d be a bar across the street [from the Muppet theater],” he says. “And after they finished doing the show, Fozzie would come up to Kermit and say, ‘You know, it wasn’t our worst.’ That’s the show I wanted to see, and that’s the show I want to do. I want to see the rest of the lives of the characters you exactly know.”

Based on the preview, my interest is piqued. I heartily approve of the prominence of Gonzo, my favorite Muppet, and of the fact that Walter doesn't say a dang word. It looks as though The Muppets' corporate overlords at Disney may now recognize that, despite not being entirely human, the characters' natural audience is not kids but adults. :)

I have been underwhelmed by the previews so far. The voices all seem off. Hopefully it turns out to be decent though.

For godsake :x, calling the 7th movie 'The Muppets' was bad enough but now a TV show too. This is 'Tomb Raider' and 'Star Trek' all over again!

Do you think we'll finally get the rest of the classic series released on DVD?

TM2YC said:
For godsake :x, calling the 7th movie 'The Muppets' was bad enough but now a TV show too. This is 'Tomb Raider' and 'Star Trek' all over again!

I hope so...I like the new Star Trek movies. :p

That Kermit voice is actually pretty solid. The others...not so much. :(

TV's Frink said:
I hope so...I like the new Star Trek movies. :p

I had that thought too :-D, ST09 was fantastic and the new Tomb Raider is one of favourite games.

TV's Frink said:
That Kermit voice is actually pretty solid. The others...not so much. :(

That's funny; I actually think that Kermit is the one that doesn't sound like its original performer, Jim Henson.

That's okay, though. The performer is Steve Whitmire, who's held the position since 1990 after Henson passed away. It's not so much of an imitation as a new actor's take on the character. After all, Roger Moore wasn't trying to do an imitation of Sean Connery.

Maybe part of the reason why Whitmire sounds right to you is because he's been Kermit in so many things. The guy performing Kermit in The Muppet Christmas Carol, for instance, is the same guy performing him here.

Perhaps it's Floyd that's sticking out to you as being off. Matt Vogel does his best, but perhaps no one can perfectly capture the marvelous vocal range of Jerry Nelson, who passed away in 2012.

Personally, I think that Eric Jacobson -- who performs all of Frank Oz's characters, including Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal and Sam the Eagle -- is amazing. His vocal range is uncannily like Oz's, and he brings the needed depth to the characterizations.

(And incidentally, Gonzo is voiced by Dave Goelz, as he's always been since the character's creation in 1976.)

Anyway, I think that the preview is great, and I'm really looking forward to the series. I completely agree that it was unimaginative and confusing to use the name The Muppets again, but I suppose it's not worth losing sleep over. :)

I'll admit I didn't watch the whole thing, but near the beginning I heard Kermit (sounds great), Sam the Eagle (sounds awful), Rowlf (not good at all), and Fozzie (quite poor). However, I will admit Miss Piggy sounds pretty good and yes, Gonzo is Gonzo.

I don't think the reason I like the Kermit voice is because I'm used to the "new" voice. Most of my exposure to The Muppets is limited to the original tv show and the first two movies. I haven't seen the new movies or anything else recent.

*shrug*

I should clarify that I think the show looks pretty funny, actually.

And some Fozzie lines sounded better than others.

It'll be something to watch, at least. Easily more worthwhile than most other things.

Back
Top Bottom