• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Some Covers I have done.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know bout vector images, im in multimedia degree.
It has nothing to do with the images I used, I just didnt zoom in close enough to fill it those 2 little spots.
But thanks for your advice.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
I know bout vector images, im in multimedia degree.
It has nothing to do with the images I used, I just didnt zoom in close enough to fill it those 2 little spots.
But thanks for your advice.

Don't get snippy with me. If you are working on a multimedia degree then you also know about layer styles, overlays, and masks. You can easily apply coloring and effects by using non-destructive techniques, which would ultimately reduce some of the errors like those "2 little spots"

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wasn't trying to get snippy, just stating a fact that it had nothing to do with the image I was using.
And that is also why i said thanks for your advice.
I know you and others are just trying to help, and even with my degree program, I still sometimes make mistakes.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
just stating a fact that it had nothing to do with the image I was using.

But it does. You took either the basis of the cover, or just that DVD logo from an existing cover. Because it was a flattened JPG, you had to select parts of the image to color it to match your fanedit cover. If you had started from scratch and used clean graphics, like the DVD logo vector with a green color overlay applied, you wouldn't have encountered this particular problem.

I know as a shortcut, people often borrow from existing covers, sometimes even retail scans (it is obvious to my eyes when you have done this), but you generally encounter fewer problems and get better results if you start from scratch.

words of advice:
1) take your time
2) add each layer separately and apply the desired effects to each layer (instead of borrowing large chunks, like credits, from other covers and trying to alter the coloring to fit your scheme)
3) take your time
4) take your time

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
here is the white text version of this cover.
2py11qt.jpg

Jswert, since it's a fanedit cover you shouldn't just copy text from an existing cover. Write new text that explains what the fanedit is about.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That. Create all the text on the back from scratch, and describe what the fanedit is. For example, check out this cool cover by AstonMartins4Me:

M24_AstonMartins4Me_3D2.jpg

You'll notice all the text on the back, including the description, features, hype quotes, credits and disc specs were all created by hand and describe this edit specifically. You can download the full resolution cover here for reference.

I encourage you to take the same approach, instead of lifting sections from pre-existing movie covers.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well the picture part of things will still need to be somewhat lifted
But all text will be original from this point forward.
So I need to recreate all the DVD info at the bottom also?

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok I'm taking all this advice and taking a break from creating for awhile, till I can get things done right.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
So I need to recreate all the DVD info at the bottom also?

You don't need to do anything. But you should recreate it for optimal quality. Use the font that Beezo shared above.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok i understand how to install the font, but how do i use it.
Cause the second I try to type the actors names, all this pre-designed text appears.
help needed please.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
getting there. Use that font only for the credits on the back. For the description, use something more standard. For Alien, probably a simple non-serif font. I don't want to suggest arial, but start there. Maybe try franklin gothic

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Concur with what Throw said.

I'd also add the FanEdit spine logo, you can see it on this cover:

24wts3n.jpg

As well, once the edit is finished, include the runtime. And it'd be good to put the editor's name somewhere on the cover, logically in the description you wrote at the bottom.

NOTE: Actually, the transparent .PNG for that small logo is included in the "Cover Art Tutorial Files" on the Resources page.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
still working on it.
But when the edit is done, I will add more details- such as runtime.
30iuzie.jpg

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Looks awesome!! I'd lower the egg just a little tiny bit though, it doesn't appear to be completely in the center :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
The Following- a maniac51 edit of It Follows.

I like that a lot, and the color choice is bold and neat. I have a few suggestions, use them or don't, it's your choice.

1 the front cover is cool but on the left side of the front image, it looks like the road gets blurred out somehow. i think that can be pretty easily fixed with the clone stamp tool. or it could be fixed by blurring more of the road to match, but i think this would produce worse results than the clone stamp tool.

2 the back cover is nice but the face of the girl (i assume the main character based on the little i know of the source film) is covered by white text. i think this white text could be moved up a little bit or the space between lines could be reduced to be closer to the blue text above it.

3 after the edit comes out, it'd be neat to grab a quote specifically about the edit and replace the total film one on the top with it.

Overall I like it.

Top Bottom