• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Some Covers I have done.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is the lake pic I created, but when i try to scale it to fit the front cover.
the woman's' head becomes elongated.
GxZCb8X.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
and what text is unreadable again?
are you talking but the text at the top on the back?
Unless I find a much higher res pic, that is what I had to work with.

Retype the text yourself. Put some effort into it.

Seriously, take a look at some of the covers of Rogue-theX, TM2YC, AvP, and others. They don't just copy/paste elements together is in a hodgepodge manner. They create unique pieces of art that take time to get right. I'm not saying I expect you to be as good as them (lord knows I'm nowhere near their level) but you gotta do more than just take existing covers and tweak them.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Retype the text yourself. Put some effort into it.

Seriously, take a look at some of the covers of Rogue-theX, TM2YC, AvP, and others. They don't just copy/paste elements together is in a hodgepodge manner. They create unique pieces of art that take time to get right. I'm not saying I expect you to be as good as them (lord knows I'm nowhere near their level) but you gotta do more than just take existing covers and tweak them.

I just copy and paste in hodgepodge manner, I've put of work into some of my previous covers, just lately I've been
off in my designs. And I'm not just taking previous covers and tweaking them, Blade Runner, Cry Baby, Halloween, The Shining- all of those were thought and took me time and effort and in my mind were not just thrown together. But I get what you're saying.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
not to mentions the Boogie Nights cover

Yes, you made a great cover for that... but if we're gonna be honest, you essentially took elements from JJE's cover and added a new front (which you took from a Rolling Stones album) and a bare background.

JJE cover:
2ugf8lk.jpg

Your cover:
MMuL7Nz.jpg

The text on the back is lifted directly from JJE's cover. The title and tagline is from JJE. The picture of the guys on the back is from JJE. The only really original thing you added is Rollergirl on the back (along with the Rolling Stone front).

Now look, I'm not trying to bash you or be a jerkwad here, but if you try to say you didn't take a previous cover and tweak it, that's just not a true statement.

I do like this alternate cover you made, I just don't want you to start claiming it's a wholly original work.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
actually beyond the color of the orange and the text- those are the only elements taken for JJE's cover.
That pic on the back of the guys can was found in a image search online, I added the stroke around the image.
I added roller girl. So I took elements of his cover and added some of my own to make an alternate cover.
But my other covers I thought were good and valid and original , they just need some improvement is all.
But thanks for your words of encouragement and advice.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So can we please get back to the Friday the 13th cover and how can take that pic and scale it correctly without anything looking
stretched or squished. I just want to get it right.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
So can we please get back to the Friday the 13th cover and how can take that pic and scale it correctly without anything looking
stretched or squished. I just want to get it right.

Personally I would ignore Kal-El's suggestion to use an image from the remake. Here are better fronts to use:

Use this image, crop (NOT SQUASH, CUT OUT A PORTION) and put it in the center of this cover. Note that this a screengrab from blu-ray.com and has a watermark, so you'd have to use your DVD/BD to get a clean shot (or find a clean shot elsewhere). You could also do a animation/artwork filter over it to make it look like an illustration.

aee698e88162bed054e1f4cdf4855274.jpg

gmf4szlsocvflx3frk2ddvdrnho.jpg

Or you can use this image as a base:

friday2painting.jpg

It's pretty small though, but you could use that inside the red box on the original cover.

Or this one is a pretty good front image:

Friday13Poster.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
but when i try to scale it to fit the front cover.
the woman's' head becomes elongated.

That is because that image is wider than it is tall. A DVD front cover is shorter than it is tall. You cannot use an uncropped landscape image, for a portrait cover. It's like trying to mash a square peg into a round hole.

You could use it for a "wrap-around" cover (and I really like wraparound covers). Here is a quick mockup I've done to show the kind a thing you could do with that same image, without squashing it by a single pixel...

You either need to do something similar, do some serious photoshopping, or select a different "portrait compatible" image.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
That is because that image is wider than it is tall. A DVD front cover is shorter than it is tall. You cannot use an uncropped landscape image, for a portrait cover. It's like trying to mash a square peg into a round hole.

You could use it for a "wrap-around" cover (and I really like wraparound covers). Here is a quick mockup I've done to show the kind a thing you could do with that same image, without squashing it by a single pixel...

You either need to do something similar, do some serious photoshopping, or select a different "portrait compatible" image.

I like that idea.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
new version of Friday the 13th cover.
took the idea from TMYC, but chose not to include the part of her in the lake
but instead for the back used a darker at night type shot of the lake.
MANHou0.jpg

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Text needs to be bigger on both versions and because of that you'll probably have to lose some of it as well.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
^Text needs to be bigger on both versions and because of that you'll probably have to lose some of it as well.

hello, when you make your little helpful critiques, can you please be more specific. "text needs to be bigger" which text are talking bout, the dvd studio info on the back, the text on the back at the top, the text on the spine.
Not trying to be mean, but sometimes your comments are random.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
hello, when you make your little helpful critiques, can you please be more specific. "text needs to be bigger" which text are talking bout, the dvd studio info on the back, the text on the back at the top, the text on the spine.
Not trying to be mean, but sometimes your comments are random.

How can they be random? I stated the text needs to be bigger. Which other text could I be talking about than all of the text on the back cover? It has to be readable. It's too small and there's some sort of line on the left side that makes the first letters of each sentence almost unreadable.

I recommend you put a few comic panels in there to spice things up and spread the text on the sides of the panels. And make the text about the film/edit, not just the girl's speech.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
well the image site is acting up so I cant upload any new version right now.
I appreciate what you are saying, and I will see what I can do.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
when you make your little helpful critiques

There is no need to be sarcastic to somebody who is trying to help you. Especially as it was obvious that when Kal-El said "Text needs to be bigger" he was refering to the teeny, tiny, microscopic text on the back of your cover and not the clearly readable and appropriately sized text on the front.

Oh and while we are on the subject... the text on the spine is not straight and the parts of the back cover text where it's red-on-white are impossible to read.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i was not trying to be sarcastic at all. I was just asking for some clarification is all, i meant nothing by it.
and there is 2 instances of text on the back- at the top and the dvd info text at the bottom.
there is text on the spine, there is text on the front, so when the words "text needs to be bigger" I was just asking for clarification is all.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
version 2 of the comic book cover.
I am still not sure what to put in the empty black space on the back, everything I've tried so far seems to take away from the other back image.
2qc44fc.jpg

Top Bottom