• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Episode V - The Overclock Edition

overclock

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ESB_FE_POSTER.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back. 32 minute music video edit. Arranged and recorded all new heavy metal variations on John Williams themes along with some psychedelic and experimental elements. My self-imposed rules for the edit -

1 - use every frame with Vader.
2 - use every frame with vehicles/spaceships.
3 - avoid showing heroes.
4 - avoid showing lips moving.

Soundtrack is available here - https://overclockinc.bandcamp.com/album/episode-v-overclock-edition-soundtrack

Cover artwork here - http://overclockinc.com/fanedit/EpisodeV_Overclock_Artwork.zip

EDIT - some musical information...

Opening : Main Title Theme, Imperial March
Act I - Hoth : The Battle in the Snow, Rebel Fanfare
Act II - Asteroid Field : The Asteroid Field, Imperial March
Act III - Bespin : Princess Leia’s Theme, Han Solo and The Princess
Act IV - Dagobah : Yoda’s Theme
Act V - The Duel : Imperial March, The Throne Room
Credits : Main Title Theme

Fifteen minutes in, my bride walks in holding her book and a crowbar.
"I'm swinging this if you don't turn that down."
I put on headphones.

Watching it about 14 minutes in and it's very distinctive. I like how the music is almost entirely it's own beast with only the faintest arrangements connecting it to the Star Wars themes.

first round of reviews seemed like viewers had certain expectations for this edit. i made some edits to the listing in hopes of clarifying that this is really a collection of music videos. BUT its been waiting to be verified by a moderator for a few days now and meanwhile not showing up in the db. oops!

overclock said:
its been waiting to be verified by a moderator for a few days now and meanwhile not showing up in the db. oops!

Verified!

I wouldn't worry too much about one mildly negative review. You can't please everyone :).

TM2YC said:
Verified!

I wouldn't worry too much about one mildly negative review. You can't please everyone :).

Thanks for verifying. And thanks for the moral support, ha ha. Honestly, I'm not sweating it too much. But I noticed all the reviews, positive or not were somewhat surprised by the format. I guess it's not something that is usually done around here, so I wanted to try and clarify a bit. Thanks again!

Zarius said:
Watching it about 14 minutes in and it's very distinctive. I like how the music is almost entirely it's own beast with only the faintest arrangements connecting it to the Star Wars themes.

Thanks for watching! I like the way you described the music and I sort of hoped people would hear it that way. But for the record, pun intended, I wrote zero music for this. It's actually all John Williams themes and/or lines from the original score. Granted, I arranged it very differently and there are a bunch of improvised guitar solo bits, but all the riffs and melodies appear at some point in the John Williams score. Thanks again!

My review had comments regarding the music and disjointed narrative.
Nothing personal was meant, just reactions to the edit itself and observations for those who glance at reviews.

I view over 250 films a year and I post reviews on most.
My review (truncated) of the Overclock edit will be loaded onto four boards including a subtitle forum and a huge Asia film forum.
Will also include the link to Vimeo, so that ought to lure additional traffic.

Don't let stray negative comments (including mine) discourage you.
More edits, please.

Guys, he didn't say he was butthurt about the reviews, stop jumping to that conclusion. He clearly said he edited the listing to more clearly explain the nature of the short so people don't go in expecting a mini Pulp Empire (or some such).

Vultural said:
My review had comments regarding the music and disjointed narrative.
Nothing personal was meant, just reactions to the edit itself and observations for those who glance at reviews.

I view over 250 films a year and I post reviews on most.
My review (truncated) of the Overclock edit will be loaded onto four boards including a subtitle forum and a huge Asia film forum.
Will also include the link to Vimeo, so that ought to lure additional traffic.

Don't let stray negative comments (including mine) discourage you.
More edits, please.

No sweat at all. I appreciate you watching it and reviewing it! I am still very new here and slowly learning what is the 'norm' and what people usually expect. Now that it's been up and there were a few reviews, I had a much better understanding of how to present my project. So thanks for that. And I'm certainly not discouraged at all, I achieved exactly what I set out to do. As an audio/music person by profession - I have lately been getting more into video, mostly live in-studio music videos. So this was an educational excercise for me. Editing, effects, color correcting, even just getting frame rates and resolutions under control... It's also been a couple decades since I played metal, so that was pretty cathartic too. Initially this was actually performed live in front of a large screen with the film projected behind us, and then I decided it would be fun to record the music and make this as a more permanent (and shareable) slice of content. It was only afterward that I found this site and realized how many people are really into this. That's partly why I didn't know how to present my project. I think the listing is better now. Am I rambling? Thanks again!

Review posted @ ifdb:

There are few things in life I enjoy more than metal, fanedits and Star Wars. If there was ever a target market for an edit like this, it's me.

This edit reminded me a lot of what Blotted Science did with their videos for Ingesting Blattaria, Cretaceous Chasm, Vermicular Asphyxiation and the like. Not only is is great music in it's own right, but it happens to synch very nicely with various film scenes. Now, I will say that the Overclock Orchestra is no Blotted Science, but Blotted Science is made up of some of the most talented metal musicians on the planet, so that's not really fair. But, what we're definitely not dealing with is a shitty metalcore group with a bunch of breakdowns and jumpdafuckups. Overclock Orchestra is the real deal. These guys know their metal and know what has to go in to quality riffs, progression and production.

So what we've got here is a silent fanedit of all the badass bits in Empire synched to a metalized version of John Williams score. Has there been another fanedit where the editor has created their own art and infused it as an essential element of the fanedit? I don't think so. That alone elevates this above what we generally think of as a fanedit. Most, if not all, fanedits take someone else's art, mix it around and create something new. The Overclock dudes go one higher with an original (kinda) score and knock it out of the park. This could easily stand alone on it's merits of being a great instrumental metal album. But it also synchs perfectly with Empire. Sure, these aren't fanedit guys making music, they're music guys making a fanedit. But for it to work as well as it does is astounding. For someone to create their own soundtrack to an edit of one of the most beloved movies of all time (even more so within these circles), takes guts, balls, creativity and talent. And the fact that it didn't suck, but was done so professionally is incredible.

In short, what Neglify said.

Blotted Science, for reference:

^Nice! Finally, someone else liked this as much as I did.

Yeah, I was surprised this wasn't even in contention for FEOTM? I would have voted for it twice if I could've :).

You made a joke? You need to work on that. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Adabisi said:
Has there been another fanedit where the editor has created their own art and infused it as an essential element of the fanedit? I don't think so.

you've piqued ma interest in this edit, adabusy. But I'm sure the above isn't true.

Back
Top Bottom