• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Didn't realize you didn't live near one. Where in Canada are you from?
I'm from New Brunswick, but I live in Ontario (since 1998), as it says in that info below my avatar. Heh heh. :)

You?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hadn't noticed that. :lol: But Ontario is pretty big. Do you live in a small town? I figure you don't live in Ottawa because we've got at least two Best Buy's, that I know of anyways, and Toronto's got to have a few as well.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For Christmas, I was very happy to receive these thoughtful, and nerdy gifts:

Harry Potter & the Half-blood Prince DVD
Cinematic Titanic - The Oozing Skull DVD

8)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very small. But we done got us a Walmart! Hyuk hyuk!

Hmmm, I didnt know rednecks migrated that far north. 8)
TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
santa claus brought me some dvds:

Aviator
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Departed
Eat the Rich (awesome classic)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the cheap £3 each - Borat and The Simpsons Movie!

But to be fair, I prefer the cut version of the Simpsons.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just bought a few cheapo hd-dvd's on amazon

out of sight
oceans 11
traffic
dawn of the dead (04)
eternal sunshine
being john malkovich
eyes wide shut

payback DC (bluray)
payback Theatrical (DVD)

cost around $40, not bad IMO.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta love HDDVD for the prices at the mo they really are seriously cheap 8)

if you look on ebay you can get a brand new Xbox 360 HDDVD Drive for £20 which you can plug straight into your PC/HTPC for HD playback.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut
The Wrestler
Let The Right One In
(REC)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt you have watched it yet FM, but is that Ultimate Watchmen worth getting?
I already have all the "individual pieces" ie: the DC bluray, The theatrical DVD, the motion comic DVD, the black freighter DVD.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FatherMerrin said:
Let The Right One In

btw which subs do you prefer, the original theatrical subs or the alledged 'more literal' subs they first included with the US DVD?

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I doubt you have watched it yet FM, but is that Ultimate Watchmen worth getting?

I aint watched watched it yet mate. Not sure I'm the right person to ask really. I never heard of Watchmen before the film came out so I'm no expert on it. I mean I only finished reading it for the 1st time last night :) . When I saw it in the cinema I just thought "If I see that again I'd wanna watch a short or longer version", hence me getting the Ultimate Cut.

nOmArch said:
btw which subs do you prefer, the original theatrical subs or the alledged 'more literal' subs they first included with the US DVD?

Didn't even know there were 2 versions. :lol: My DVD only has 1 sub title track so I don't think I'll be comparing the 2 anytime soon.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
FatherMerrin said:
Let The Right One In

Doesn't the UK Region 2 DVD have the proper subs?

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I already have all the "individual pieces" ie: the DC bluray, The theatrical DVD, the motion comic DVD, the black freighter DVD.

I watched it last week & I enjoyed it more than the theatrical version.

I cant see how the director could of been more respectful to the comic even if he tried. Obviously the majour difference is the end, but I actually think the movie ending is very well thought out & probably a more sensible way to end the film.

I also, changed my views on the performances as all the characters were more fleshed out in the version which I think helped everyone in the movie come across better.

The sex scene is still desperately embarrassing & if I could remove anything it would be that, but everything else I'm cool with. I thought the transitions between the film & cartoon were a bit clunky at times & the Newspaper Stand scenes looked like they were shot for a TV movie or something.

But on the whole I really liked the Ultimate Cut. I didn't come away thinking I was missing something like I did with the Theatrical Version. I also liked how it doesn't follow the typical action movie plot line, but that's obviously because of comic.

Like I said I'm not a Watchmen or comic book movie fan, but I did like this movie. It's not perfect but considering the source I think it's an honest attempt to bring the comic book to life.

Personnaly I would recommend The Ultimate Cut over the other versions out there.

Frantic Canadian said:
Doesn't the UK Region 2 DVD have the proper subs?

No idea, didn't even know there were 2 versions. I haven't seen the flick in a while & haven't yet watched the DVD so I'll probably wont even noticed the difference.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought the transitions between the film & cartoon were a bit clunky at times & the Newspaper Stand scenes looked like they were shot for a TV movie or something.

so there is additional footage other than the black freighter (intro/outros of the newsstand) not found in the DC?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol I just purchased my 3rd version of PAYBACK this week! :lol:

I previously owned the VHS (theatrical) and HDDVD (directors cut) versions.

I dont care for VHS anymore unless its the only way the film is available so thats out
The other night I went to play the HDDVD and learned that paramount HDDVD's no longer play since the NXE (xbox live) update was applied last fall as it has screwed up the HDCP handshake, so thats out.

so, I sold the HDDVD online and bought the bluray version (DC) as well as a DVD copy (theatrical)

Today I learned that the UK has a bluray that has BOTH cuts - so I just bought that :lol: :lol:

Talk about taking the long way home! at least I will have a far superior version IMO.

Top Bottom