• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got a pile of blurays today (one of the perks at working at a store that buys/sells used media)

some are good and will replace my HDDVD copies:
The Departed
Transformers

some are good/fair and I dont yet own in HD
Boondock Saints
Reservoir Dogs
Bankok Dangerous

some are shit:
Lucky # Slevin

some I have never seen and may well be good/shit:
Sex Drive
Transporter 3
Slumdog Millionaire

No one that shops in my store buys Bluray so their loss is my gain : )

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my own little encapsulated reviews.

Sex Drive is great, make sure you also grab the unrated version. its one of the few unrated editions to actually be worth watching.

Transporter 3 could of been great but is severely hamstrung by the female lead. (if you like Jason Stathem kicking ass is still well worth seeing)

Slumdog while being terribly sentimental is very funny, heartwarming (eventually) and well worth seeing.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the sex drive I got is the unrated one. but do they even make "rated" versions for DVD of these type of films anymore?

while I cannot even remember transporter 1, T2( ;) ) was OK even if completely ridiculously over the top - the female villain in that was pretty 1 dimensional as well so I dont expect much from part 3. I just have a guilty pleasure hetero man crush on statham being the new bruce willis and all :lol:

I'm sure I'll like slumdog because IMO theres not a bad danny boyle film out there, and good reviews and oscar buzz aside, the man is a great fimmaker.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
the sex drive I got is the unrated one. but do they even make "rated" versions for DVD of these type of films anymore?

in that case make sure you watch the theatrical version first, theres a 3 or 4 minute bit at the start of the movie that explains why you ought to see the rated version first.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol. I watched transporter 3 last night and thought it was pretty bad.

now, I wasnt a huge fan of the other 2 but I think they were better. other than statham kicking ass (which is basically why someone would watch this tripe) its a weak film and then most of the fights were similar to the other 2 films.

anyhoo, I wasnt impressed. [spoiler:317o6122]the whole plot decvice of confining them to 50 ft of the car was cool on paper but pretty boring on film.[/spoiler:317o6122]
T-bag from prison break was the only thing I actually liked, and damn if that russian girl wasnt a terrible actress.

2/10

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My last 3 purchases were:

Nowhere - region 0 Australian PAL (alleged to be a dir's cut but it is not)
Hell comes to frog town - (for $3 new on amazon why not) region 1
The last Dinosaur - (thank you Toho) region 2

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon marks my first Blu-ray purchase.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Picked up Resident Evil: Degeneration yesterday.

illogyst

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i bought GOMORRAH (about the italian mafia), CHIKO (german gangster-movie)
and DR.ALEMÁN (its about an german medic doing his practical year in colombia).

liked them all a lot :) and they were around 10 € each.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dog Soldiers - BluRay - on sale at Best Buy $12

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently watched The Uninvited, which I actually didn't think was too bad. Unbeknownst to me, it was a remake of the Korean film A Tale of Two Sisters, which gets a much better rating. Tale of Two Sisters arrived in the post the other day :) looking forward to watching it.

crzchris4

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought the Rambo trilogy at FYE for $15.

Bit of oddly name, isn't it? First you have "First Blood", then "Rambo: First Blood Part II", then "Rambo III", and then just "Rambo."

I've only seen the fourth one so I'm going to set aside some time during the weekend to watch them.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
all are good in different ways from serious to silly.
RIII is a hoot: "where are the missiles?"... "Up your Ass!"

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only Rambo movie I didn't like was the fourth one. I only paid 2$ to see it at a discount theatre and I still felt ripped off.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, I loved the 4th rambo. it was so intense w/o being silly like part 2 and 3. even my girlfriend liked it which amazed me.
IMO it was the best straight action film like that since Commando.

what didnt you like about it FC?

crzchris4

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rambo 4 was brilliant. What's amazing is that Stallone is still completely believable as a action hero. His direction is great too.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
wow, I loved the 4th rambo. it was so intense w/o being silly like part 2 and 3. even my girlfriend liked it which amazed me.
IMO it was the best straight action film like that since Commando.

what didnt you like about it FC?

Everything. The story was paper thin, the action was pretty much non-stop and over the top, their attempt at adding drama to the film by having Stallone have a flashback was laughable at best and did they really need to show the entire walk to his dad's house? I mean he gets off the bus and we see him walking for like 10 straight minutes.

I seriously felt like walking out but I never walk out on a movie I paid to see. The only other movies I felt like walking out on were Ang Lee's Hulk and The Bourne Identity.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everything. The story was paper thin, the action was pretty much non-stop and over the top,
Not any more than the other 3 though. IMO it was the most fleshed out and well written since First Blood

their attempt at adding drama to the film by having Stallone have a flashback was laughable at best
I agree, it was weak

and did they really need to show the entire walk to his dad's house? I mean he gets off the bus and we see him walking for like 10 straight minutes.
well, the credits were rolling, you could have left ;)

I seriously felt like walking out but I never walk out on a movie I paid to see. The only other movies I felt like walking out on were Ang Lee's Hulk and The Bourne Identity.
I hated HULK but I love me some J Bourne. One of the few Matt Damon roles I like. although Supremacy was the best of the 3 IMO.

no problem though, we all have different opinions, I just was wondering what you didnt like about it. Thanks for the response :)

Top Bottom