• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-man: upgraded the Trilogy to Blu-ray
Fire & Ice: the animated film from many eons ago.
The IT Crowd: season 1-3

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just received today in the mail from Amazon,

GENESIS II, PLANET EARTH and STRANGE NEW WORLD.

Between the Original Series and Next Generation, Gene Roddenberry attempted to launch many new tv shows with mixed results.

One of his favorite concepts was a Buck Rogers themed series, a modern man frozen in time only to be awaken in a post-apocalyptic future where nature has reclaimed the planet and new civilizations of varying levels of technology scatter the world.

The first pilot movie was called GENESIS II, starring Alex Cord (Airwolf) as scientist Dylan Hunt who is experimenting with suspended animation for future space flights, when an accident occurs and he is frozen for about 200 years. He is awaken by a civilization called PAX, and joins them using underground Sub-Shuttles to explore the planet and make contact with the outside world.

The first pilot was considered too cerbral (sound familiar?) and a second pilot was ordered. John Saxon was cast as Dylan Hunt in the new version called PLANET EARTH. The concept was the same, but way more action and slicker production values.

Roddenberry, based on the praise of the network, even went so far to develop almost a full season of scripts for series.
Unfortunately, Roddenberry had some sort of following out with the network and left the project.

But the network went ahead without Roddenberry and took one more stab at the concept, except with a few changes. The kept John Saxon, but changed all the characters names, and this time he is an astronaut who returns to Earth 200 years later and travel the planet in a cool sci-fi RV. The 3rd pilot was called STRANGE NEW WORLD and it was basically two Planet Earth scripts edited together into a two hour tv movie. Of the three, it definitely feels the most like a Star Trek episode.

Decades later, the Dylan Hunt concept was dusted off by NextGen/DS9 writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe, combined with another unused Roddenberry tv idea called Phoenix Rising, and an entirely new show was created for actor Kevin Sorbo, Gene Roddenberry's ANDROMEDA!

;-)

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just bought "No Holds Barred" for some 80's cheesy goodness.... Never released on DVD before last week and at $12.99 I couldn't resist... lol lol lol

No_Holds_Barred.jpg

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whispers said:
I just bought "No Holds Barred" for some 80's cheesy goodness.... Never released on DVD before last week and at $12.99 I couldn't resist... lol lol lol

No_Holds_Barred.jpg

I never thought this would get a DVD release. I guess I can forget about transferring my VHS copy to DVD then. :lol: Is it in the proper aspect ratio, and are there any extras? A commentary track featuring Hulk Hogan and Tiny Lister would be awesome!

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I never thought this would get a DVD release. I guess I can forget about transferring my VHS copy to DVD then. :lol: Is it in the proper aspect ratio, and are there any extras? A commentary track featuring Hulk Hogan and Tiny Lister would be awesome!

It's been digitally remastered and the format is widescreen

The extras are bare bones with just a picture gallery... Seeing the WWE released this on DVD under their film banner and Hulk Hogan works for another wrestling company I suppose that put a stop to any commemtary track...

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whispers said:
It's been digitally remastered and the format is widescreen

The extras are bare bones with just a picture gallery... Seeing the WWE released this on DVD under their film banner and Hulk Hogan works for another wrestling company I suppose that put a stop to any commemtary track...

That sucks. I hate bare bones discs. You'd think they could at least include the trailer, but a picture gallery? Who cares about that? I haven't watched wrestling since about 1999, just shortly after Owen Hart died, so I had no idea Hogan was still wrestling. Would have been cool to have him do a commentary track though, but I guess we should be happy that this movie was released to DVD at all.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JAWS on blu-ray, fully restored as part of Universal's 100 Anniversary!

And it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

And still damn scary!

The bonus features are worth the purchase alone. :)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
JAWS on blu-ray, fully restored as part of Universal's 100 Anniversary!

And it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

And still damn scary!

The bonus features are worth the purchase alone. :)

I've gotta buy that shit. I'll get one for my brother too. He loves Shark Week.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Superman collection on BD

I must get that one! Might have to sell the mega 14-disk dvd collection from a few years back though... And of course Indy is about to come out. Looking forward to having the Star Wars, Indy and Supes BD collections sitting there next to each other :)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
I must get that one! Might have to sell the mega 14-disk dvd collection from a few years back though... And of course Indy is about to come out. Looking forward to having the Star Wars, Indy and Supes BD collections sitting there next to each other :)

You won't get squat for your DVD set. I got the BD set for like 30 bucks, I shudder to think what the DVD set is worth. Besides I can't let go of stuff like that. Above my computer on a shelf sits the BSG BD set, then Supes BD set, next to it the DVD set, next to that the Quadrilogy DVD set, and next to that Indy on DVD (and then next to that an amazing SMDM DVD set from Mexico ;) )

Once I get Indy on BD I'll still have my DVD's. I find it's also handy to have DVDs for those times when you don't have access to a BD player.

Top Bottom