• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
The Man with the Golden Arm is a pretty cool title. Sounds too similar to a Bond title though, is there any connection? Was one named after the other?

No connection. It's about drug addiction :p

Edit: In answer to your other question, it predates the Bond film by 19 years and Ian Fleming's novel by 10 years. The Man With The Golden Arm was also a novel first, being published another 6 years prior to that.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well reading about it, The Man With the Golden Arm seems really great, and I want to watch it now.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't find a Blu-ray for my region, but it's on Amazon Prime Video now!  I'm going to watch it tonight myself.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
According to various sources, the film is in the public domain, though on the off chance that those sources are wrong, I will stick to the Amazon release as well. Thank you for pointing out that it's there, Handman.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shaun of the Dead - Blu Ray 

Not DVD or Blu Ray

Spider-Man - PS4
Star Wars Battlefront II - PS4

I also got some film cells from the film Rise of the Planet of the Apes (I'll be sure to show pics later)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a purchase, but stumbled on this from a while back and completely forgot I had it. It's probably not half as good as I remember, but I might check it out and then decide whether to ditch it or not.

51bJribycIL.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE BATMAN IS MY FAVORITE ANIMATED BATMAN SHOW, though I've only seen the first 6 or so episodes. I own the whole series though. I need to watch more. In the final season, the Justice League are prominent characters!
Really I'm mostly familiar with the animated movie, The Batman vs Dracula. And I also used to have this awesome plug and play game. Like I had a bunch of plug and plays, but the Batman one I revisited not long ago, and it's really good still.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I just stuck it on. I would say it's fairly average, but it's harsh to judge on a first episode. 

I agree with Mr. Coffee though - The theme is pretty cool.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the order in which episodes aired was different in the UK than the US. 

IMDB lists episode 2 as "Call of The Cobblepot", whereas on my DVD, episode 2 is "Traction".

"Traction" was decent. Bane's character design and voice acting was slightly better than how The Joker was in episode 1, and I liked the presentation of our first flashback into Bruce's childhood. 

Overall though, it's still mostly style over substance. I expect a lot of this season will be "monster of the week", which I doubt I'll have the patience for. 

Another recent acquisition:

71fJ2e4E9RL._SY445_.jpg

Despite being a big H. G. Wells fan, I've not really sought this one out - I remember my brother's review being pretty damning, so that probably put me off. Nevertheless, now I've acquired it I'm keen to check it out. Looking forward to discovering whether it's a winner, a stinker or B+ fodder.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, on my DVD episode 2 is the one with Bane, though I'm pretty sure it was imported from another country.
You know what, you're right, from the episodes I watched ,it is mostly monster of week stuff. It's been a few years since I checked out the series, now that I think of it. I don't know, I just really like the show's portrayal of Joker and Bane, and I'm sure the show does more with them in later episodes.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Time Machine is a great film, a very fun adventure story.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Apartment and Irma La Douce, two Billy Wilder films starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine.  I love the former, and had to see the latter, which disappoints if you expect it to be like The Apartment, but is a fun romp nonetheless.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like Irma La Douce. It's mostly just a bit too long, and over-silly towards the end. I would never have expected it to reach the heights of such Wilder classics as The Apartment.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought an old 1998 MGM NTSC non-anamorphic DVD of Kubrick's '2001' for nowt off of ebay out of shear curiosity. As Kubrick was still alive in 1998, it's theoretically the only DVD transfer he had approval on. At a glance it doesn't look like the old blu-ray, or the new 4K transfer.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think 90s home video releases were as concerned with getting the theatrical experience or the original colors right.  Moreso that it just looked good on the CRT televisions of the day.  So I'm not sure how much of a help that old DVD would be in judging his original intentions.

Top Bottom