• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Doctor Who: The Sensorites (Story 7)
Continuing my Who DVD collection in the U.S. is getting harder and harder, no thanks to BBC America letting half of the DVDs go OOP... awhile ago now.  I'm only hoping to complete the first two Doctors (Hartnell and Troughton), since the Blu-ray sets are soon to be out, and at a much more affordable price.  The only trouble there is, the 60s Doctors probably won't make it to the format, especially since so many of their episodes remain missing.

Anyway, it's a pain in the ass to get these now.  The rest of the Hartnell episodes will probably be R2 discs.  I've only got three Troughton stories left, so I'll bite the bullet there.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Continuing my Who DVD collection in the U.S. is getting harder and harder, no thanks to BBC America letting half of the DVDs go OOP... awhile ago now.  I'm only hoping to complete the first two Doctors (Hartnell and Troughton), since the Blu-ray sets are soon to be out, and at a much more affordable price.  The only trouble there is, the 60s Doctors probably won't make it to the format, especially since so many of their episodes remain missing.

Anyway, it's a pain in the ass to get these now.  The rest of the Hartnell episodes will probably be R2 discs.  I've only got three Troughton stories left, so I'll bite the bullet there.

I think I've said this before but I would love to buy complete sets of each Doctor with a nice, slim form factor. Obviously the First and Second Doctor collections would be incomplete, but I'd still buy a as-complete-as-possible set. I wish they'd finish animating the rest of the missing episodes too but I don't think they make enough money from DVD sales to justify it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Handman said:

I think I've said this before but I would love to buy complete sets of each Doctor with a nice, slim form factor. Obviously the First and Second Doctor collections would be incomplete, but I'd still buy a as-complete-as-possible set. I wish they'd finish animating the rest of the missing episodes too but I don't think they make enough money from DVD sales to justify it.

It's a catch 22! People know episodes are missing so they don't want to buy the dvds. BBC sees dvd sales are low, can't justify finishing missing episodes. A "Complete Season" is a big selling point.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder how effective a conditional pre-order system would be. Essentially it would be like a Kickstarter so the BBC could take people's credit card/Paypal/whatever information and they could say that if they got a pre-defined number of pre-orders to fund the animation they would do it.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have the first Tom Baker season blu-ray upscale, which is nice because the Robot and Revenge of the Cybermen DVDs were OOP here in Region 1.  I think the first Davidson season comes out next month.  

That reminds me: I need to get back to work on my custom cover art for that Baker set, as the official art says "Tom Baker Season One" and that bothers me.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I sold my copy of Robot in anticipation of that set.  I didn't know it was OOP... I could've sold it for more.

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Fright Night blu-ray release from the UK that came out in 2017 is phenomenal. If you, like me, enjoy that movie then you should order it. It's about 25 dollars, which is far more expensive than most blu-rays, but it's about as cheap as you can get it because Twilight Time holds the rights to it and only released it in their limited edition versions, which all are ridiculously expensive now.

chyron8472

Reaction score
Trophy Points
71Y90JMJ4AL._SX342_.jpg

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
I hate Twilight Time for that.

Right, I'm very against them. I don't like the way they basically hold movies hostage with their limited releases. I don't mind if companies do a limited edition steelbook or edition of some kind, but a film itself shouldn't be released in such a limited fashion. As Good as It Gets is basically impossible to find for any reasonable price because of Twilight Time.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
return+of+the+vampire.png

515FM70XZFL._SY445_.jpg

I was lucky to have come across the top one. I'd all but given up hope of ever owning a copy of Mr. Sardonicus.

The other movies in that set I couldn't care less about.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last weekend, I bought a two pack at Walmart, of the first two Harold and Kumar movies on DVD for five dollars. I was there with my grandmother. She bought a two pack of Wrong Turn 1 and 2.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't recall the last time I bought a videotape. I have absolutely no nostalgia for the medium, so I don't go out of my way to purchase any and am actively seeking to replace the ones I still own with DVD/BD copies.

I wouldn't hesitate to lay down money for a copy of Nickel Mountain if I came across one, though.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do actively collect Shrek VHS tapes as I see them far too often. The collection is only at 8 for the time being, but I have more DVDs. Maybe five Shreks, four Shrek 2s, a single Shrek the Third. I don't really even like the film series with the exception of Shrek 2, but its an entertaining waste of money none-the-less

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My First Doctor DVD collection is nearing completion...

s-l1600.jpg

The Time Meddler is out of print and often goes for upwards of $50-$70.  Found this on eBay for $45, with a copy of The Aztecs to boot!  I'll probably give it to a friend as a Christmas gift, as I have the Special Edition release already.

All I have left to get to complete my 60s Who DVD collection is The Web Planet, which goes for anywhere between $100-$300.  I very nearly had it today at $60, but someone outbid me in the final few seconds.  Who the heck is bidding on things during Thanksgiving?  Besides me, of course...

Top Bottom