• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A bit quiet for me regarding live action stuff as of late. You know when you're running out of shelfspace but don't want to get rid of any purchases, also this year hasn't had too many memorable films. That said I'm still turning into a hoarder :(

DVD:
Paranoia Agent - The Complete Series
K-on series 1 & 2 and K-on the movie.
3rd Rock From the sun the complete series (R1 import, discs are in paper sleeves in a cheap box, almost seems like a bootleg but the discs look genuine)
Frasier the complete series
Futurama the complete series
Psychoville complete series
Ghost in the shell: The laughing man (Anime movie made up of the overall arc of Season 1)
Ghost in the shell: The Individual eleven (anime movie made up of s2's overaching storyline)
The Spiral (this time the one based on Junji Ito's Uzumaki comic)
Curb your enthusasism - All Eight seasons.

Blu Ray:
Jurassic World
Terminator Genisys
Ghost in the Shell Arise: Borders 1+2 and Border 3+4 - Prequel Spin offs about how the team got together unlike the series each 'border' is an hour long.
Cowboy Bebop - Complete series.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
3rd Rock From the sun the complete series (R1 import, discs are in paper sleeves in a cheap box, almost seems like a bootleg but the discs look genuine)

That would be the Mill Creek release. Don't worry, it's official. They've released other shows (Roseanne, That 70s Show, The Great American Hero, Married...With Children, The Cosby Show, Starsky And Hutch and more I think) in the same way. And although the bitrate is smaller than on the original releases, their releases of Roseanne and Married...With Children are all uncut.

Oh, and for Christmas I received:

ER: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
ER: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eight Season (DVD)
Cooties (DVD)
Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn (2015)(DVD)
The Dark Crystal/Labyrinth (The Brian Froud Art Edition)(Blu-Ray)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also have some Mill Creek boxes.
Quality varies from film to film.
I'd prefer Alpha, but am usually glad to find a title.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Terminator Genisys and Ant-Man on Blu-Ray.
Minions, Bowling Balls (Belgian biker gang comedy), Pound of Flesh (JCVD) on DVD.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got Les Yeux Sans Visage and M for Christmas, because I've apparently convinced most of my family that I'm some sort of serious film buff.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Rocketeer - This has been on my wishlist for ages. Finally the US import came down in price.
Any fan editing thoughts? IIRC, it could use some trimming for pace... ;-)

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This could easily be a bionicbob production. "The Rocketeer Strikes."

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TM2YC said:
The Rocketeer
Any fan editing thoughts?

I watched my new Blu-Ray the other day and my only thought was how it was still as magical as when I last saw it many years ago on VHS. So probably no.

The FX have held up fantastically, even under HD scrutiny.

Fanedit said:
This could easily be a bionicbob production. "The Rocketeer Strikes."

Not the first time this has been suggested but if I recall correctly... Bob thinks it's damn near perfect too, so not worth the edit.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Space 1999: The Complete First Series - Looking foward to watching the precursor to Star wars fully restored.

The blu-ray is beautiful. The model work still stands up wonderfully. The score is haunting and powerful.

The actual stories.... meh. lol

I remember loving this show as a kid, but as an adult I don't think I have been able to fully watch a single episode without using the fast forward button. And this is the good season!

Season two was significantly retooled and "americanized".

Maybe a fan edit of this classic series that highlights it's strengths?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I remember loving this show as a kid, but as an adult I don't think I have been able to fully watch a single episode without using the fast forward button.

This was one of the few Anderson shows I didn't watch as a kid, so it's new to me. Literally just finished the 3rd episode and I agree it's slow which seems down to the editing lacking a certain energy IMO. Also the characters, so far at least, are poorly defined or not defined at all, making it hard to care about the dangers they face.

On the other hand, the music and FX work are great the stories themselves are interesting. I did have to wonder if Christopher Nolan had seen episode 3 with the journey across a black hole before he made 'Interstellar' ;-).

bionicbob said:
Maybe a fan edit of this classic series that highlights it's strengths?

A fanedit taking every episode down to a fast paced 30 minutes (With all the long silent pauses trimmed away) would work wonders. Not sure I feel strongly enough to do it myself though.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A few imports as of late.
Blu Ray:
Mardock Scramble
Serial Experiments Lain (import from australia)
Persona 4: The Animation
The Grudge (US copy) and The Grudge 2 (Germany)
Kuroneko
Onibaba which they messed up and sent me the discs for 'The Other' which I may keep if I end up enjoying it.
Chocolate (2008)
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Greatful dead

DVD:
Karl Pilkington's The Moaning of Life (series 2)
Invitation Only
Peep Show series 9

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Master and Commander
Meet Joe Black
North by Northwest

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had another binge of Blu-Rays this morning...

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-Ray) - Rewatched this evening and it still holds up as one of the movies of 2015 for me! It's so much frickin' fun and the soundtrack is probably my favourite of the year. I could cry watching the sequel mission tease at the end knowing that their almost certainly won't be a sequel given the limp boxoffice :cry:.
Legend (Blu-Ray) - Watched this afternoon and enjoyed it a lot. As many reviews have stated the voiceover was a bad idea... but Tom Hardy is outstanding as per usual and the period detail is great. I'm looking forward to checking out Helgeland's commentary. He's American, but he clearly did his homework, given that this a very British story, set in a certain area of London at a unique time in the culture. His hard work paid off because this felt totally authentic.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Triple disc Blu-ray & book set) - I found this for almost a third of the price on Amazon?! I was kinda expecting to find it had been mispriced when I got to the till. Bonus movies, shorts, documentaries, commentaries, a book etc galore. Yay!
Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Blu-Ray) - Dirt cheap and loads of special features. I'm hoping this is so bad it's good.

Also some ones I got last week...

Love & Mercy (Blu-Ray) - Great Brian Wilson biopic, even if I prefered the 60s period, to the 80s period stuff.
Straight Outta Compton (Blu-Ray) - 20 minute longer Director's Cut with bonus 5-6 minutes deleted scenes. It'll be interesting to compare.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm on a sort of Asian kick at the moment. All Blu Ray.
47 Ronin
The Man of Tai Chi
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (anticipating CTHD2 on netflix)
House of Flying Daggers
Onibaba
Also Bought John Wick ;)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've bought way too many VHS, DVD's, and Blu-Ray's in the last couple of months that I'm not even going to start listing them cause I know I'm going to forget some. And you're probably not even going to read the list anyways. :lol: But I am going to list what I picked up today.

- Off The Mark (VHS)(Still factory sealed)(1$)
- Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown (DVD)(3$)
- Square Pegs (Complete Series)(3$)
- Parker Lewis Can't Lose (Season 1)(3$)
- Wings (Season 1 & 2)(3$)
- Harsh Realm (Complete Series)(3$)
- Picket Fences (Season 1)(3$)
- CSI (Season 8)(3$)

All brand new, and all factory sealed. The box sets were all bought from the Dollarama. I was really surprised to find so many sets there. Going to have to hit up the two downtown on Monday after I finish work to see if they've got any different ones. :lol:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple I've bought and watched recently...

Mad Max (Scream Factory R1 Blu-Ray) - So nice to finally have all the extras from my old MGM DVD on Blu-Ray (The DVD can go on Ebay) but it's also a shame it has no new extras either... and zero input from George Miller. I'd hacksaw my leg off for a second Miller commentary track. Watching this again I noticed a few Judge Dredd influences (Dredd made his debut a couple years before MM) = Cops in motorcycle leathers and armour pads, Judge badges, Halls of Justice, Meat Wagons/Trucks instead of ambulances and the general chaotic future society feel. Strange I'd not made the connection before being a fan of JD and MM since I can remember.

Comic-Judge-Dredd-Costume.jpg

mad_max_01.jpg

Tremors (25th Anniversary R2 Blu-Ray) - I'd not seen this in quite a few years and I used to watch on a loop in the VHS days. I was expecting to be entertained again but damn this film is a masterpiece on every level. The script especially, should be taught in screenwriting school. Every line of dialogue and every scene either advances the plot, entertains, amuses, builds character, or sets up a plot point that is later paid off... or sometimes the scenes do all above at the same time e.g. the opening scene sets up the movie, the characters and the ending without us knowing it past the laughter. The editing, direction and most of all the faultless pacing also impress. It's one of those movies from the just-before-Jurassic-Park years when practical FX were at there zenith and would never be bettered. The FX in this still look perfect today. Genius level film making, or some dumb B-movie monster flick. Take your pick :-D.

Top Bottom