• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FINALLY picked up the Interstellar blu-ray!

Every set comes with a random frame from an actual IMAX print. Here's what I got:
image_zpsetxbgcsj.jpg
Anyway I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Forgot to add this the other day, but I picked up John Wick on Blu-Ray for only 12.99$ at HMV. I also picked up the 25th Anniversary Edition of WarGames on DVD for only 3$ at Dollarama.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ WOW! You got very lucky with that frame, I'm so jealous.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
John Carpenter's The Thing and the Thing (2011) together for £7.99 on Blu Ray
Under the Skin, and Tron 1 & 2 in HMV's 3 for £20 deal.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3 for £17 Blu-Ray deal at Amazon. I got...

- Takashi Miike's colour remake of 'Hara-Kiri' (I had the DVD but couldn't understand why it's taken 3 years to get an HD release)
- John Carpenter's 'Elvis' (Watched last night. Very enjoyable and Kurt Russell is spookily like Elvis)
- Contact (I'm still buzzed from re-watching 'Interstellar'. So I need some more Matthew McConaughey Sci-Fi)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
- Grey's Anatomy (Season One)(DVD)(9.88$)
- The Mothman Prophecies (VHS Screener)(1$)
- Tigerland (VHS Screener)(1$)
- Stargate: SG1 - Children Of The Gods (VHS Screener)(25 cents)
- Waxwork (VHS)(25 cents)
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Special Longer Version)(VHS)(25 cents) - still sealed
- Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (VHS)(25 cents) - still sealed

I got the last four from the library. They had the first 6 Star Trek movies, but the only one that wasn't still sealed was "The Wrath Of Khan". I don't know if they released more than one version of "The Undiscovered Country", but the one they had was the "Special Home Video Version". Has that version been released on DVD or Blu-Ray? I have to go back tomorrow to return a DVD, so if that cut isn't out on DVD or Blu-Ray I'll go ahead and pick it up as well.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Shout Factory COLLECTOR EDITIONS order arrived the other day....

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
THE SHADOW
DARKMAN

Just taken a brief look at all three, The Shadow blu-ray is spectacular in picture/colour quality, far superior to the Universal blu-ray release. So even though I double dipped, I feel it was worth it. The bonus material is a series of new interviews with some of the actors, the writer and director... nothing really revealing but nice none the less. I thought a an actual history of the Shadow character would have been a nice history, but no such luck.

Darkman looks decent but still nothing special... if anything, the blu-ray make the dated fx stand out even more. New interviews with Neeson, Drake and McDormand, though Raimi is very absent. Lots of vintage interviews from the original press. So a nice package and while dated, the movie still entertains the hell out of you.

I have not had time to dive into the two discs of bonus features (though many appear to be stuff from past releases) for Escape yet, but the picture quality looks pretty amazing. I have not seen the past blu-ray release, but compared to my old Special Edition dvd, this looks very sweet indeed.

Of the three for me, The Shadow is the clear winner in terms of picture quality.... this version really injects new energy into the movie and really makes you appreciate the gorgeous production design and lighting. Well worth the purchase.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I thought a an actual history of the Shadow character would have been a nice history, but no such luck.

Seems like that should have been a logical choice for an extra, and a very interesting one indeed. I wonder why they didn't include a documentary on the history of the character?

bionicbob said:
Darkman looks decent but still nothing special... if anything, the blu-ray make the dated fx stand out even more. New interviews with Neeson, Drake and McDormand, though Raimi is very absent. Lots of vintage interviews from the original press. So a nice package and while dated, the movie still entertains the hell out of you.

Would have been nice if they had included the unaired pilot for the Darkman TV series as an extra.

bionicbob said:
I have not had time to dive into the two discs of bonus features (though many appear to be stuff from past releases) for Escape yet, but the picture quality looks pretty amazing. I have not seen the past blu-ray release, but compared to my old Special Edition dvd, this looks very sweet indeed.

I don't have the previous Blu-Ray, only the 2-disc Special Editon DVD, but if I'm not mistaken the previous Blu-Ray is a bare bones release.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Would have been nice if they had included the unaired pilot for the Darkman TV series as an extra.
This is discussed briefly in the Larry Drake interview and apparently it was NOT an actual filmed pilot, but a video presentation of images and story ideas that was very poorly done.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
This is discussed briefly in the Larry Drake interview and apparently it was NOT an actual filmed pilot, but a video presentation of images and story ideas that was very poorly done.

Really? I've seen it on trading sites and they make no mention of it not being an actual filmed pilot, quite the opposite in fact.

Darkman unaired TV pilot (1992)
Running Time: 22:02
Language: English
Quality Rating: C-
Full Screen
No Subtitles
Directed By: Brian Grant
Starring: Christopher Bowen, Kathleen York, Larry Drake
Following Sam Raimi's Darkman storyline, this TV pilot shows a lot of potential, but unfortunately was never given a chance as it was unaired. This episode pretty much summarizes the film, covers the basics, and lays the groundwork for what could have been some decent TV.

Darkman Unaired Pilot

This Unaired Pilot follows the character from the Sam Raimi film; it retells his origin and introduces some new characters. Starring Christopher Bowen and Larry Drake.
NTSC DVD-R, Fullscreen, Quality B, 22:16

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really? I did not know any of that. I am just going by what Drake said in the interview. I of course have heard talk of a Darkman pilot, but sort of assumed the two direct to dvd sequels were the failed attempts. I will have to look it up more.... surprised something like hasn't surfaced on Youtube or somewhere....?

edit: found it on Daily Motion.... lol

[video=dailymotion;xssxst]

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently my local supermarket is doing superhero Blu-Rays for €8.50 a piece so we're going over there after work to round off our Marvel collection with Cap 1, Iron Man 3 and The Incredible Hulk :-D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got a few discs for my Birthday and also treated myself to a few more ;-). These I've watched...

Paddington (Blu-Ray):
As good as the word-of-mouth suggested. Totally charming and heart warming stuff for all the family.
Jodorowsky's Dune (Blu-Ray): Fascinating stuff. It would never have worked but the team's passion for the project is still infectious.
Day Of The Dead (Blu-Ray):
I always forget quite how spectacular the gore FX are in this thing (Especially in Hi-Def) and the soundtrack is top rate. The extra features on this release (Arrow films)are good and full of fun production stories.
Speed (Blu-Ray):
Watching this again, it reminds you of how impressive it is when a simple action-film is put together right. The script is so tight and pacing wise, there isn't an once of fat on the movie. Every 5 minutes a new threat arrives, to keep the tension on full tilt.

These I haven't yet...

The Babadook (Blu-Ray):
Modern Horror movies aren't usually my bag but I'm hoping this is as unsettling and cleverly directed as the reviews say.
Escape From New York (Blu-Ray): New HD transfer from Shout Factory, so fingers crossed that it looks nice.
Withnail & I / How To Get Ahead In Advertising (Blu-Ray): The new transfer of W&I looks superior to the original HD release but the main reason to get this is for Robinson's 2nd feature 'How To Get Ahead In Advertising', which has never been released in HD before. Wierdly it's barely mentioned on the box art and just listed as a bonus-disc for W&I, rather than a two-film boxset?
Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (Blu-Ray): The remake. I keep reading everywhere about how good this is.
Close Encounters (Blu-Ray): Believe it or not, I ain't never seen this movie.
Dallas Buyers Club (Blu-Ray): Never played at my local cinema, so excited to see this finally.
Barbarella (Blu-Ray): Haven't seen this in years, and certainly never seen it in HD.
The Councellor (Blu-Ray): Heard it's terrible but I love Ridley Scott extras packages. A RS commentary on a bad film is still more entertaining than most good films.
Sunshine On Leith (Blu-Ray): This Proclaimers based musical is supposed to be great. Let's hope so

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Apparently my local supermarket is doing superhero Blu-Rays for €8.50 a piece so we're going over there after work to round off our Marvel collection with Cap 1, Iron Man 3 and The Incredible Hulk :-D

No Hulk (gone) or Cap 1 (only BD/3D-BD combo) sadly :( But DID get Iron Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 :-D

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Babadook (Blu-Ray): Modern Horror movies aren't usually my bag but I'm hoping this is as unsettling and cleverly directed as the reviews say.

I really enjoyed it.

TM2YC said:
Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (Blu-Ray): The remake. I keep reading everywhere about how good this is.

Excellent film. One of the best remakes ever made. It's right up there with John Carpenter's The Thing. You won't be disappointed.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Councellor (Blu-Ray): Heard it's terrible but I love Ridley Scott extras packages. A RS commentary on a bad film is still more entertaining than most good films.
Sunshine On Leith (Blu-Ray): This Proclaimers based musical is supposed to be great. Let's hope so

The Counsellor is good, but a bit weird, like it's straining to be two different films at the same time. I enjoyed it but have seen a book version of McCarthy's screenplay out somewhere; I don't think I'd buy it because even as a fan of his books, I reckon I'd only read it once. But I'll get it from the library at some point. Are there any deleted scenes in the extras?

Sunshine on Leith is pretty good - I watched it not knowing anything about it other than it was set in Edinburgh (not even that it was a musical!) and enjoyed it. There's a bit of a "look how lovely Edinburgh is, come visit" feel to it, but I happen to really like Edinburgh so it didn't bother me. I'm not a big musicals fan or anything but I thought it worked, and the songs are pretty catchy.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
The Counsellor is good, but a bit weird

I started watching and lost patience with it. It opens with 6 whole minutes of Michael Fassbender in bed with Penélope Cruz... and not in a good way. Then another 6 or so minutes with Fassbender discussing the philosophical nature of diamonds. It probably gets better?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally caved and bought the Mad Max trilogy on Blu-Ray. I've been waiting for a decent extras-stuffed boxset for years but when this barebones set was only £12...

$_35.JPG

...and most new single films tend to be £13-15, it's a steal. My old BR of 'Road Warrior' can go on eBay, I'll keep my extras-packed MM1 DVD and I didn't own a copy of 'Beyond Thunderdome' before, so that's a nice bonus.

I might have a marathon before watching 'Fury Road' a third time :).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I started watching and lost patience with it. It opens with 6 whole minutes of Michael Fassbender in bed with Penélope Cruz... and not in a good way. Then another 6 or so minutes with Fassbender discussing the philosophical nature of diamonds. It probably gets better?
Er... sort of? I didn't mind the in-bed-with-Cruz part, other than that Fassbender wasn't me, and Ganz's diamond speech is probably the dullest part. Brad Pitt shows up for a few scenes, and I pretty much always find him excellent, and he brings a much-needed spark to the proceedings, and then there are two absolutely first-rate action set pieces.

The story itself ultimately ends as a shaggy-dog tale, and though I say there's a place in film for those, Diaz's character never works at all, which pretty well torpedoes the ending, though Fassbender's story remains compelling throughout; a fan edit could definitely heavily reduce her part. And I had a juvenile problem with the ending as well...

In which Cruz is taken by a cartel, whacked, and ends up in a massive garbage dump in the course of a few days. One would think an evil amoral drug lord could find a different, less immediately merciful use for her than that.

Dr. Kermode hated it, but I did like Fassbender, Cruz, and those two action set pieces. Bardem was meh.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I guess I haven't posted in a while
DVD: Contagion (waiting for this to arrive in the post)
Spiral (the 'other' sequel to the Ring 1998, not Spirals based on the Uzumaki horror manga)
Battle Royale II: revenge (not requiem, this is a longer 153 min cut, was kinda hard to track down)
Burn up W: Old anime I never watched, but I'm kinda riding the Amanda Winn Lee train right now, she's actually called me her 'friend' and shared PM's with me on facebook, it's crazy.
Marvel Anime: Weirdly it has Wolverine, X-men and the Iron Man anime by Madhouse studios but no Blade, instead the 4th feature is Black widow & the punisher. Still it was relatively cheap and I'm always game to see eastern variations on western characters instead of the other way around for once.
Superman DC movie collection: has doomsday, vs the elite, unbound, apocalpyse (which I already owned but eh) and Public Enemies. Pretty solid set if you don't own most of them, They did a similar set with batman but I owned all of those individually.
Turtles (2013) season 2

Blu Ray:
Big Hero 6
Evil Dead (2013)
Tron and Tron legacy
Hannibal Trilogy (upgade)

Top Bottom