• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^hah ironic I just sold my 4 disc set (which is just the 2 films and the bonus discs, not including L: change the world)

and because I was going to repurchase them on blu ray.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE MOMENT OF TRUTH HAS ARRIVED

Just remember that you can lie and hide from other members of this forum, but not from yourself. Are you a true aficionado of cinema, or only a dabbler in movie-liking?

Tango & Cash blus are $5 at Amazon.

The choice is now yours. :-D

lotrjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lord of the Rings Extended BluRay (online purchase not arrived yet might not get it till after Christmas too :( ), last one I brought that actually arrived was The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug the extended cut BluRay, although a fan edit of that I now have is a little better than the theatrical or extended cuts!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain America: The Original Avenger (DVD)
The Evil Dead (original; DVD)
Zodiac (Blu Ray director's cut)
The Punisher 1989/American Ninja 2DVD set.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used that 50$ HMV gift card I got for Christmas, that I mentioned in that other thread, and picked up the "TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection: Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland" for 15$. Included are "Babes On Broadway", "Strike Up The Band", "Babes In Arms", and "Girl Crazy". Looks like the same discs that were included in the Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland box set previously released. Only thing missing is the bonus 5th disc. The discs are stacked and there's room for another disc so it would have been nice if they had included it, but at 15$ for all four films I'm not complaining.

I also picked up the 75th Anniversary DVD of The Wizard Of Oz. It's on sale as part of their Boxing Week sale. Regular price 10$, on sale for 4.99$. And it's a 2-disc release. The Blu-Ray was on sale for 7.99$, not sure about the original price though. I would have gone with the Blu-Ray, but the back cover says that there's over 2 hours of extras, whereas the DVD mentions having over 4 hours of extras. So it was a no-brainer. :lol: I'd have loved to get that limited edition numbered set though. There's a dual-sided DVD exclusive to it that contains the 6-hour documentary "When The Lion Roars". It's about the history of MGM studios.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
over 2 hours could very well be 6 for all you know [MENTION=5948]Frantic Canadian[/MENTION] :-D Are you sure about the no-brainer? :lol:

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
over 2 hours could very well be 6 for all you know Frantic Canadian :-D Are you sure about the no-brainer? :lol:

Yeah, I don't think so.:D If they had that much they'd definitely mention it. Six hours of extras would sell much better than just two. :lol: And if I'm not mistaken the non-box set Blu-Ray release is just a single disc. And it's been my experience that they always include the audio commentary track(s) in the total running time of extras. The movie is listed as 102 minutes and iirc the first disc has two or three featurettes that run about 25-30 minutes each. So that would bring the extras total to around 2.5 hours if not just under three.

The only thing that disappoints me, aside from not having that 6-hour documentary on MGM, is that apparently they dropped the 1990 TV special on the film hosted by Angela Lansbury, which was included on the 70th Anniversary release. Although this release does include a new documentary hosted by Martin Sheen that runs over an hour. And it's supposed to cover more than that TV special did, so I guess it all works out anyways. Still, it would have been nice to have too.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went to Giant Tiger today hoping to pick up the "Warner Bros. Gangster Collection Volume 2" box set, which they had when I last went a few months ago or so but didn't buy then for some reason or other. Unfortunately they didn't have it. :( What I did wind up getting though was "Gone With The Wind - The Scarlett Edition". This is the 70th Anniversary Edition that's also available in a numbered box set. It's 3 discs, 2 Blu-Ray's and 1 DVD. The first disc has the movie with optional commentary, and the second disc has over 8 hours of extras!

Here's what's included on the second disc:

- The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind (SD, 123 minutes): This documentary has cropped up regularly on TCM and was included on the previous DVD release of the film. Filled with fantastic information about the history of the property, and its tortuous production, Legend also offers a great assortment of screentests and other archival film.

- Gone With the Wind: The Legend Lives On (SD, 33 minutes), is a sort of sequel to the above supplemental feature, focusing on the now 70 year old legacy of the film. Emphasis on film preservation and some of the collectors of Wind memorabilia (who will no doubt be including this set in their treasure trove) is included.

- 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year (SD, 68 minutes), is one of the better extras on the set, devoting an in-depth look to that most storied year of Hollywood's halcyon days. M-G-M may have had the "big two" that most people associate with that year, Wind and Wizard, but as this feature makes abundantly clear, the studio system was in full swing with high style at all the majors, and there was a bumper crop of classics that year.

- Gable: The King Remembered, (SD, 65 minutes), gives us a nice Biography-esque overview, hosted by Peter Lawford. of the man and the movie star.

- Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond, (SD, 46 minutes), is a little bit more surface level than the Gable effort, but with hostess Jessica Lange pointing the way, does venture into Leigh's mental issues which affected her later career. Lange, of course, played another famously troubled actress, Frances Farmer, an actress who was in fact considered for the role of Scarlett, as you will see if you look quickly in a "potential casting sheet" in The Making of a Legend.

- Melanie Remembers: Reflections by Olivia de Havilland, (SD, 39 minutes). At last we get some first-person reminiscences, and with the ever lovely and gracious de Havilland providing them, you know you're in for a rare treat. What may surprise you is how impish the star was and still is when this was filmed.

- The Supporting Players, (SD, 30 minutes). I mentioned just a few of the incredible supporting cast of this film in the main review, which should give you some indication of the variety and quality of actors covered in this excellent featurette.

- Restoring a Legend, (SD, 18 minutes). Though this focuses on the 2004 UltraResolution restoration for the film's 4 disc DVD release, this is still a fascinating look at the incredible effort taken to preserve and restore classic films like these. All film lovers will both be impressed by and grateful for the efforts depicted in this brief featurette.

- Two newsreels are offered, Dixie Hails Gone With the Wind (SD, 4 minutes) and Atlanta Civil War Centennial (SD, 4 minutes), both of which offer glimpses of premiere festivities for the film itself.

- The Old South, (SD, 11 minutes), a sort of documentary exposition of the cultural background of plantation life, this is probably too apologetic for the South's justification for slavery ("someone has to pick the cotton," to quote an incredibly racist song of days of yore), but is interesting at least from an historical perspective.

- International Prologue, (SD, 1 minute), another expository piece which acted as prelude to the foreign release of the film, offering some background on the Civil War.

- Foreign Language Versions, (SD, 3 minutes), gives us a compendium of snippets of foreign language versions of the film. "Demain est une autre jour."

- Movieola, (SD, 97 minutes), is a pretty lame made for television movie with Tony Curtis as David O. Selznick. Curtis simply doesn't have the look or feel for this legendary character, and the rest of this enterprise is similarly uninspiring.

- Finally five trailers from the original release and various re-releases are offered.

The Made-For-TV movie is actually called "Movieola: The Scarlett O'Hara War" and is about David O. Selznick's search for the actress who would play Scarlett O'Hara. And if all that wasn't enough, the third disc, which is a double-sided DVD, contains the 6-hour documentary about MGM entitled "When The Lion Roars". This is the documentary that I mentioned previously, just a few posts above, that was included in the Wizard Of Oz box set. So happy to have it included in this release.

I only paid 10$ for it too. Although when I got home and opened it I noticed that the first disc was covered in fingerprints. The second disc also has a few fingerprints on it. The third disc is untouched though. So apparently this was a used copy, but for some reason it didn't have a "Previously Viewed" sticker on it, like they normally do for used DVD's and Blu-Ray's. Oh well. Ten bucks is still a good price for all I'm getting even though it's used.

I also picked up "John Carpenter's The Thing" on DVD for only 4.88$. I know you can get the Blu-Ray for fairly cheap, but that only has a commentary track. The DVD has a bunch of extras, including an 80-minute documentary on the making of the movie. And lastly I picked up "Rock Hudson: The Franchise Collection" for 10$. It's a 3-disc, 5 movie, box set from Universal. Included are "Has Anybody Seen My Gal", "A Very Special Favor", "The Golden Blade", "The Last Sunset", and "The Spiral Road".

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For Christmas:
American Horror Story S1-3 (DVD
Teen Wolf (Blu Ray)
Stand By Me (Blu Ray)

And Purchased:
Black Lagoon: the complete series (Blu Ray, Import)
Black Lagoon: the OVA's (Blu Ray Local)
Audition (Blu Ray, Import)
Spirited Away (Blu Ray)
Kotokodo (DVD)
The Meat Grinder (DVD)
Sin City 2 (Blu Ray)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu Ray)
Death Note 1 & 2 (Blu Ray)

It's not the first time I've imported. Black lagoon both seasons were overpriced here except on a used site which didn't have them in stock until after I'd already ordered them. Audition is simply not out over here except on DVD, I did a comparison of the two and aside from the subtitle font looking better, the picture quality as a whole is just much brighter and sharper too, and thankfully the BR is the same as the Pal version (uncut)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
Spirited Away (Blu Ray)

Where did they release Spirited Away? And is it region locked?

Today I picked up "Forbidden Planet" on Blu-Ray at HMV for 10$. Pretty good deal considering that they included a bonus movie (The Invisible Boy) as an extra. Not to mention a 55 minute TCM documentary on 1950's sci-fi, an episode of "The Thin Man" TV series, and some deleted and lost scenes. I can't comment on the quality, as I haven't popped it in yet, but according to Blu-Ray.com's review of this disc they run over 20 minutes long. There's a handful of other extras too, but those are the more important ones. The bonus movie and episode of "The Thin Man" TV series both feature Robby The Robot, which is why they're included here I guess. :lol:

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Where did they release Spirited Away? And is it region locked?

I think at this stage all of the Ghibli movies have been released on blu ray, some are priced different from others.
I had a look on Amazon.com and they have the us version for $89 which seems ridiculous.
I've tried to find if the Region B release is locked but I can't seem to confirm.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hit up a pawn shop today looking to help out an American friend with a Canadian-only release and wound up picking up the following for myself:

- The Hammer Horror Series: The Franchise Collection

This is a 2-disc set, both double-sided, that contains 8 movies. The movies included are: "Brides Of Dracula", "The Curse Of The Werewolf", "Phantom Of The Opera", "Paranoiac", "The Kiss Of The Vampire", "Nightmare", "Night Creatures", and "The Evil Of Frankenstein".

When I opened it up to check the discs I discovered a DVD-R in a paper sleeve. Written on it are the words "Hammer Documentary 1987 Flesh And Blood". I looked it up but couldn't find any info on a 1987 release. Turns out it was a 1994 UK TV documentary shown in two parts. It was released to DVD in 1997. So I popped it in to see if this was just a pirated version of said DVD or a TV broadcast. It's got a standalone DVD recorder menu, so that's promising. So I started it up and it begins with a station ID logo. It was recorded from a Canadian cable channel called "Scream". Not sure if they're still operating though. And it's hosted, or at least introduced, by a sexy little vamp who calls herself "Mistress Olga". Running time is 103 minutes so there's no commercials included I assume. IMDB gives the running time as 100 minutes.

- Sam Katzman: Icons Of Horror Collection

This is a 2-disc 4 movie box set. The movies included are "The Giant Claw", "Creature With The Atom Brain", "Zombies Of Mora Tau", and "The Werewolf". For some reason they've included the second chapter of the 1951 serial "Mysterious Island" as one of the extras. The serial was produced by Sam Katzman, but what I don't understand is why they'd include the second chapter? Why not include the first one?

- Pretty In Pink/Clueless/Some Kind Of Wonderful

This is one of those three movies in one case deals. I didn't notice until I got home, but these are all the original bare bones releases, not the re-releases with all the extras. :( But it only cost me 4$, as did the other two titles I bought, so no big deal. And it's a Region 4 Australian release too.

Omaru1982 said:
I think at this stage all of the Ghibli movies have been released on blu ray, some are priced different from others.
I had a look on Amazon.com and they have the us version for $89 which seems ridiculous.
I've tried to find if the Region B release is locked but I can't seem to confirm.

Spirited Away has yet to be released on Blu-Ray in North America, so whatever version you saw on Amazon.com has to be an import.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spirited-Away-Blu-ray/109540/

Bad news I'm afraid, it's listed as Region B (locked)
And I've learned unfortunately on that site so is my copy of Audition. FIngers crossed the dvd included in the set is a transfer of theblu ray encooding and not the old awful one I have on Region 2.

Edit: turns out the dvd is just special features... le sigh.

Same with black lagoon, though the set includes the dvd's, i'm fortunate enough to own a Region free player and well the US dvd set cost less than the UK dvd sets too so small comfort.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
5x Blu-Ray multi-buy this morning :)...

Gravity (The box only vaguely says "3 hours of special features", hope they are good)
The World's End (Not seen this yet and the extras are many and includes a commentary)
Ghost (Commentary and more)
The Towering Inferno (A sh*t ton of extras! including commentary)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Just watched and it somehow surprasses all the high praise it's recieved)

Plus I added a bargain price 'The Mind of Evil' to my Doctor Who DVD collection. Only seen this in B&W before.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow TM2YC and [MENTION=5948]Frantic Canadian[/MENTION], great additions!! :)
Small heist for me: The Grey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America Winter Soldier, Bonnie and Clyde, Pacific Rim, Star Trek Into Darkness and The Town (all Blu Ray). The Three Musketeers (Kiefer Sutherland one > guilty pleasure!) and Frozen (for the missus) on DVD.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The latest addition(s) to my screener collection. This is a 2013 Emmy screener package. One disc for each show. Two episodes per disc. Paid 8$, tax included, at a pawn shop.

100_4036.jpg

100_4038.jpg

100_4041.jpg

100_4044.jpg

100_4046.jpg

100_4047.jpg

100_4049.jpg

100_4050.jpg

100_4054.jpg

100_4056.jpg

100_4058.jpg

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hit up one of my local libraries today and took a look at their "for sale" section. I was surprised to find 5 UK region 2 DVD's. They had "Born Yesterday (1950)", some British Victorian-era movie, a "Hostel" box set that included the 2-disc edition of the first film and the second film, and the Japanese film "Kuroneko". I would have grabbed the Hostel box set but I've already got the 2-disc Canadian release of the first film and I've got the second film on Blu-Ray. I did pick up Kuroneko though. Only 2$. It was released by "The Masters Of Cinema Series". Is that like the UK version of The Criterion Collection? Kuroneko is numbered #14. I took a look at the other films they've released and it's all stuff that The Criterion Collection either has or would release.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
It was released by "The Masters Of Cinema Series". Is that like the UK version of The Criterion Collection? Kuroneko is numbered #14. I took a look at the other films they've released and it's all stuff that The Criterion Collection either has or would release.

Yes it's pretty much the European Criterion. The seem to have a deal where they share rights to new restorations.

Top Bottom