• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just picked up these fine titles:

Blade Runner 5 disc Collectors set Bluray
Harry Potter 1-5 Bluray
Voltron Black Lion(last of the set)
Rush Hour 3 2-disc set
8MM
8MM part 2
Night of The Demons Unrated
Night of The Demons 2
Night of The Demons 3
Silent Night Deadly Night unrated extended cut

and tomorrow I will pick up:

Resident Evil Trilogy Bluray
Resident Evil Extinction DVD(just in case there are some cool deleted scenes)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dark jedi said:
just picked up these fine titles:

Blade Runner 5 disc Collectors set Bluray
Harry Potter 1-5 Bluray
Voltron Black Lion(last of the set)
Rush Hour 3 2-disc set
8MM
8MM part 2
Night of The Demons Unrated
Night of The Demons 2
Night of The Demons 3
Silent Night Deadly Night unrated extended cut

and tomorrow I will pick up:

Resident Evil Trilogy Bluray
Resident Evil Extinction DVD(just in case there are some cool deleted scenes)

seems like everybody and their dog has bought the 5 disc bladerunner set :)

whats different about the unrated cut of Night of the demons? i bloody love that movie and have the 4:3 version.

but why oh why did you bother with the third? its terrible!! :???:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Realbmansweden said:
Hm i got a hold of 2 pretty rare dvds actually, the criterion edition of robocop and the US hardcover-TIN-box of Terminator 2,...im so happy

Nice! the Criterion edition of Robocop really does kick bottom mightily!!

Realbmansweden

Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Realbmansweden said:
Hm i got a hold of 2 pretty rare dvds actually, the criterion edition of robocop and the US hardcover-TIN-box of Terminator 2,...im so happy

Nice! the Criterion edition of Robocop really does kick bottom mightily!!

yep, but what bothers me is that my friend got a laser-disc (LD) that got so much more of the robot going crazy on the office at the demonstration and the scene where Alex J. Murphy (robocop) is gettin shot to pieces by the gangsters are extended like 2 minutes, and som other goodies are extended 2....
and I thougt that the criterion dvd was the longest, best version...gnarly

But the t2 tin-box rocks to...

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just bought Hostage, the Bruce Willis movie on the recommends of my girlfriend.
Also Donnie Brasco as it's class.

and...................House of the Dead. (I'm sorry)

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone - Bluray
Dust Devil

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Realbmansweden said:
yep, but what bothers me is that my friend got a laser-disc (LD) that got so much more of the robot going crazy on the office at the demonstration and the scene where Alex J. Murphy (robocop) is gettin shot to pieces by the gangsters are extended like 2 minutes, and som other goodies are extended 2....
and I thougt that the criterion dvd was the longest, best version...gnarly

But the t2 tin-box rocks to...

i was also under the impression that the criterion ed. was the most complete. ahh well time to put my research hat on again.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the criterion is the "director's cut" version (first released) - other releases have included this version (like the trilogy set, in anamorphic)

it is definitely the version to own (like me!) :)

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Robocop Trilogy has the extended unrated version,is this not the full uncut version,or is this still trimmed?

also what version is the Bluray Robocop?
this is a very expensive Bluray movie.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
from the alternate versions page.

'The Swedish is also heavily cut. Most scenes involving shooting have been shortened or cut out, including the "death" shooting of Murphy by the gang, the shootout at the drug factory and the ED-209 killing a OCP employee. In addition, several scens have been omitted. The gang member who gets thrown out of the van, Emils' disintegration and death..'

i think, maybe, RealBMan is getting confused between the Swedish, international and directors cuts.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the bluray is the theatrical cut AND a crappy release (although it does have more picture information due to the higher bitrate). i've read some not so good remarks about this on another forum. i WOULD NOT buy this and wait for the unrated version & a new transfer out for bluray.

well for the US there are 2 versions:
* theatrical
* unrated, director's cut, nc-17 (all refer to the SAME movie)

even tho the criterion isn't anamorphic it DOES still look better than the newer anamorphic director's cut.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/robocop.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23110

Realbmansweden

Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
from the alternate versions page.

'The Swedish is also heavily cut. Most scenes involving shooting have been shortened or cut out, including the "death" shooting of Murphy by the gang, the shootout at the drug factory and the ED-209 killing a OCP employee. In addition, several scens have been omitted. The gang member who gets thrown out of the van, Emils' disintegration and death..'

i think, maybe, RealBMan is getting confused between the Swedish, international and directors cuts.

Yeah maybe...

from http://www.hometheaterforum.com
To the questions about audio quality, the MGM has a 5.1 remaster where the Criterion is a Dolby 2-track. I note slightly depper bass in the MGM, but for the most part, differences are rather slight.

Then there is the issue of "R" rated vs. unrated. Prior to theatrical release, Verhoeven was forced to trim a couple of scenes of graphic violence to get an "R" rating.
For the Criterion laserdisc edition, those trims were restored.
The Criterion DVD, obviously, used that same transfer.
The MGM disc contains the original theatrical version. Actual running time difference between the two is 53 seconds.
I have compared the two scenes, Kinney getting shot up by ED-209 and Murphy getting shot up by Bodiker's gang, and I don't feel the cuts hurt the story or even the mood of the scenes, but again, that will be personal preference.

The obvious question is, which one to keep. For me, my personal preference when I want to watch this movie is to watch the MGM disc.
I simply looks better to my eye and to my taste. However, I like the supplements on the Criterion disc as well. I'll be keeping both and I guess I'll call it a "two-disc set".

the whole article:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd- ... luded.html
so i guess my criterion dvd is the same, it was like 2 years since i watched my friends LD so maybe i forgot....

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what a shame, having an even longer cut would of been fantastic!!

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm gonna hope that with criterion adopting an HD format (bluray is the only format that i've heard mentioned and is most probable right now) that they are able to re-release many of these "laserdisc transfer to DVD" items in their catalog soon.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thats the great thing about a new format, all the movie companies trot out all their old back catalogues!

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joebshmoe said:
i'm gonna hope that with criterion adopting an HD format (bluray is the only format that i've heard mentioned and is most probable right now) that they are able to re-release many of these "laserdisc transfer to DVD" items in their catalog soon.

this would be very nice, would it not?

Top Bottom