• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
There are 2 versions of the Extended Edition DVD. The first one is a limited edition numbered 2 Disc DVD. Disc 1 is the theatrical cut, Disc 2 is the Extended Edition. The second DVD is 1 disc and just has the Extended Edition.

I forgot about that first one. That one was released in September 1999, the second release came out in 2001. Then it wasn't available again until 2008.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
There are 2 versions of the Extended Edition DVD. The first one is a limited edition numbered 2 Disc DVD. Disc 1 is the theatrical cut, Disc 2 is the Extended Edition. The second DVD is 1 disc and just has the Extended Edition.

Yeah, the second dvd, that is the one I got.

Not to the best of my recollection, although I haven't seen H20 nearly as many times as I've seen the first 3 films. And Halloween III has nothing at all to do with Michael Myers. The movie is about Halloween masks, the holiday not the Michael Myers mask, being programmed to kill kids en mass when they wear the masks and watch a tv commercial. So if such a scene exists it wouldn't mention Halloween III. Halloween 4 and 5 are about Jamie Lloyd, played by a young Danielle Harris, who is actually Laurie Strode's daughter. Halloween 6 continues the Jamie Lloyd storyline but without Danielle Harris. Jamie Lee Curtis was only in the first two films, H20, and the beginning of Resurrection. It's possible that something was mentioned by one of the nurses at the beginning of Resurrection but I can't say with certainty without watching it again.

Maybe it is my mind misremembering. Or maybe it was an interview with Kevin Williamson I read somewhere. He stated something to the effect in H20, only Halloween One and Two occurred and they were ignoring all the other sequels. And during the class room scene, there was suppose to be line about Michael Myers still being out there killing people, sort of as a nod to the other sequels but dismissing them at the same time?

Again, maybe I am getting senile.:p:oops:

Either way, I am now off to Best Buy to check out what Halloween movies they have.:D

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yard sales this morning.

All but the Dexter DVD were $1 each. Sweet.

m8k8sm.jpg

All these VHS tapes cost 25 cents each. Really sweet.

n5pmq.jpg

I've seen 'em all, but we just got rid of our cable this week and we've been stocking up on VHS and DVD's to keep us going through the winter.

I posted these in another thread that I got at yard sales last week:

wl827r.jpg

People are practically giving away VHS these days. At 25 cents or free, I think they make for a good supply of movies to watch once and then give away or sell on at next years yard sales.

Anyone else still got stuff on VHS?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

Thanks Neg. Good old wiki!!! :D

Being a continuity nut, I think I would have preferred the original screenplay treatment to the final version.;-)

So I guess, none of this stuff made the filming stage or as deleted scenes... too bad, could made good fan edit material.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:
Anyone else still got stuff on VHS?

I got rid of a lot of my VHS tapes and I regretted it. I still have a big box of stuff, but mainly videos from my childhood I haven't replaced on DVD yet.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I got rid of a lot of my VHS tapes and I regretted it. I still have a big box of stuff, but mainly videos from my childhood I haven't replaced on DVD yet.

I seem to remember when I lived in England, very few people had kept their VHS players, but here in the USA, certainly in Virginia and Wyoming where I've lived, people seem to have hung onto their VHS players more. We actually have three! The kids have one each and we have one in the living room. All getting regular usage. I recently transferred a bunch of my girlfriends childhood videos to the computer. It takes awhile, but it's not like you have to sit there watching it happen. Anyway, we've bought about 60 VHS movies and figure that's plenty to keep us going til next years yard sales.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
So you've got an actual copy of the Extended Edition? I don't know if it's worth much now, seeing as it's available in the 30th Anniversary Commerative Set (limited to 20,000 copies), but it was out of print for the longest time.

If you want to stick to the Michael Myers films then I'd say stay away from Halloween III as it has nothing to do with him. It is a personal favorite of mine though, and is actually a very good movie. I'd recommend the 25th Anniversary DVD, if you can find it, of the first film. Halloween II has only been released once and it's a bare bones release. Halloween 4 and 5 are both available from Anchor Bay's DiviMax line with some decent extras. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, aka Halloween 6, only has a bare bones release. Halloween H20 only has one release as well, and aside from a couple of extras it's pretty bare bones. Halloween Resurrection is definitely the worst film in the franchise, but the DVD has a very nice selection of extras.

If you want to go the Blu-Ray route though I'd recommend the Anchor Bay Blu-Ray of the first film, it's the only one available and can be had for 10$ at HMV. Halloween II has been released by Universal and Shout!. The Universal disc contains the alternate scenes shot for the tv cut of Halloween II, an alternate ending, and a "documentary" called "Terror In The Aisles", which up until this Universal disc had only been available on VHS.

The Shout! release, which came out this Tuesday, contains a better transfer, two audio commentary tracks, a 45-minute long documentary on the making of the film, an "episode" of Horror's Hallowed Grounds, a photo gallery, the alternate scenes shot for the tv version, the alternate ending, the film's trailer, tv spots, and radio spots. The second disc is a DVD and contains the film's alternate tv version along with the film's screenplay in .pdf format on the DVD-Rom side.

Halloween III was also released by Shout! this Tuesday and contains a nice set of extras as well. But if you're sticking to the Michael Myers films you might want to pass on this one, although I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Halloween 4 and 5 were released on Blu-Ray last month by Anchor Bay. The extras however are the exact same ones that were included on the DVD releases so there's no real reason to upgrade other than having the films in 1080p.

Stay away from the Blu-Ray releases of Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, Halloween H20, and Halloween Resurrection. Both the Canadian release featuring all three films on one disc and the US releases from Echo Bridge Entertainment are pure crap. Stick to the DVD's for those.

If I were recommending the films though I'd say go for Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, and Halloween H20. Halloween 4 and 5 aren't bad, just not my favorites.

And if you need any more convincing regarding the first two films let me just say this: I've already watched Halloween and Halloween II four times this year. And the last two times were today and yesterday.

P.S. Give Halloween III a shot even though it has nothing to do with Michael Myers or the rest of the franchise. It's a pretty decent film in its own right.

What he said...

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still have all of my VHS tapes, but they're just in storage somewhere. My OT tapes, on the other hand, have a spot on my DVD shelf.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
I still have all of my VHS tapes, but they're just in storage somewhere. My OT tapes, on the other hand, have a spot on my DVD shelf.

I wish I still had my OT tapes. I gave them away when I moved continents. They were PAL and wont play here in the US, but it would have been nice to hold them once in awhile. The only VHS tape I brought with me across the Atlantic, was a boxset copy of Luc Besson's The Big Blue.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
So Bob, which movies did you get?

Went down to Best Buy, and believe it or not, the only HALLOWEEN movie they had in stock was 30th Anniversary Halloween II Blu-ray from Universal. So I sort of hesitated. I really wanted the Shout version, with the full TV cut. The store guy checked his computer and says they are suppose to have some coming in, maybe this next Tuesday. So I decided to wait. Also need to go check out our new Wallmart, as their DVD section is quite large. We also have an HMV, and they usually have the rarer, speciality stuff, but their prices are so inflated. So if worse comes to worse, I will order off Amazon.ca. Either way, I will have a classic Michael Myers marathon this October!

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Went down to Best Buy, and believe it or not, the only HALLOWEEN movie they had in stock was 30th Anniversary Halloween II Blu-ray from Universal. So I sort of hesitated. I really wanted the Shout version, with the full TV cut. The store guy checked his computer and says they are suppose to have some coming in, maybe this next Tuesday. So I decided to wait. Also need to go check out our new Wallmart, as their DVD section is quite large. We also have an HMV, and they usually have the rarer, speciality stuff, but their prices are so inflated. So if worse comes to worse, I will order off Amazon.ca. Either way, I will have a classic Michael Myers marathon this October!

Bummer, but I'm not surprised. That's also the only one they had at my local Best Buy. Well they had the Shout! discs but they were in the back and hadn't even been put on display. I know what you mean about HMV though. A lot of stuff is nicely priced, but every so often you'll find a title that is just insanely priced. Like for example "The Devil Inside". They're charging 40$ for the DVD. Not the Blu-Ray combo pack, if it even has one, and not the Blu-Ray, just the DVD itself. I wouldn't hold my breath for Wal-Mart though. The one here has a nice selection of DVD's and Blu-Ray's as well but the only horror titles you'll find are the newer movies.

I just checked their website and HMV has the Halloween movies on Blu-Ray for cheap. The first one is only 10$, 4 and 5 are only 10.99$, and the Shout! releases of 2 and 3 are 23.99$, which is only a buck more than what Best Buy is selling them for.

http://hmv.ca/Search.aspx?keyword=halloween&filter=blu-ray

Just click the "Check Availability" button next to each title to find any stores in your area that are carrying it. And if they don't have it near you they can order it for you.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the tip FC.

Yeah, it looks like my HMV has the Anchor Bay/Universal versions all on sale. No Shout Factory of HII though.

Will have to pop down there after work this week.:D

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy to help Bob. :) You can call your local store to have them order the Shout! HII release. They'd have it shipped from one of the other stores and it'd probably be in by the time you went to pick up the other ones this week. Unless you're going to be stopping by tomorrow. I don't think they're that fast. :lol:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Happy to help Bob. :) You can call your local store to have them order the Shout! HII release. They'd have it shipped from one of the other stores and it'd probably be in by the time you went to pick up the other ones this week. Unless you're going to be stopping by tomorrow. I don't think they're that fast. :lol:

I will check my stores this week, if they don't have the versions I want, I will just order them off Amazon.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread title changed to "Canadian DVD/BD Buying Tips"

Top Bottom