• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 12 is Now a Full-Fledged Non-Linear Editor!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic news, if you ask me!
World's best grading tool now includes an NLE :)

I'm very tempted to fork out the cash for this one :)
DaVinci Resolve 11 has a Lite version, but although Lite grading is one thing, a full NLE is much better than a basic one.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like a good option. Far as I can tell the free Lite version has the same editing functions tho I could be wrong. Bigger question is will it run OK on my system- It needs a high powered system with Windows 8.1 Pro or Apple Yosemite.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Looks like a good option. Far as I can tell the free Lite version has the same editing functions tho I could be wrong. Bigger question is will it run OK on my system- It needs a high powered system with Windows 8.1 Pro or Apple Yosemite.

Resolve Lite 10 runs on my Win7 machine which is decidedly under-spec according to their own docs, which not only recommend better hardware but also Windows 8 or later.

The main question I have about Resolve is whether it's possible to incorporate it into a workflow built around Lagarith, since it seems to only work with .MOV files as far as I can tell.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
The main question I have about Resolve is whether it's possible to incorporate it into a workflow built around Lagarith, since it seems to only work with .MOV files as far as I can tell.

Only .MOV? ugg. No interest if that is the case.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Only .MOV? ugg. No interest if that is the case.

Heh, that's my reaction too. But I may be doing something wrong, because on my install I can't even get the software to detect some actual 1080p mov files I've got, never mind anything else. The supported codec list is quite long, so I'd be surprised if there isn't some way to do it.

Everything I've read about the software sounds promising, and from the extensive technical manual that came with the free copy of Resolve Lite I've got, they have a deep understanding of video processing. So I figure that there must be a way to do this, I just haven't found it yet.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy ThrowgnCpr DaVinci supports a lot of codecs but the problem is that it only supports them in a .mov container. I didn't even know that was possible but take a look at the PDF and you'll see what I mean. Lots of varying video codecs apparently.

I work on a MacBook so consider me biased but if you can work with a tool like this, why not simply convert to Apple ProRes instead of Lagarith when you first rip your DVD/Blu and then work in DaVinci from there on? You can edit and grade in DV and, so far I've read online, ProRes works in AE as well so if you want to add some effects, you can always use AE. There's only a handful of people here I think that actually use vfx in their edits any way :)

But, like I said, biased (!) I'm definitely going to make the switch to DaVinci 12 Lite for my next edit once Superman is finished :)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm open to the idea, but I don't know how well Vegas would work with files that Resolve will handle. At the moment my thinking is that I should figure out if I can use Resolve at all, at which point my workflow would probably be something like: Rip disc > convert to something Resolve can use > do colour grading as required > export to Vegas and edit > export as lagarith avi > author dvd/mp4 as normal.

I'm wary of changing the workflow too much as what I have right now works for me. Having said that, I'd really like to try out Resolve's colour grading tools.

Any suggestions (including links for further reading) for how to convert an m2v into a format Resolve can use? I normally use VirtualDub to save as a Lagarith avi, so that's going be no use if I need to use .MOV as the container.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So you export to a lossless format and then compress it to a DVD format?
If your DVD tool can handle a lossless format other than lagarith (say Apple ProRes) then that would save you work as well.
You work in Resolve both editing and grading wise, perhaps export (the same compatible file) to Final Cut for final tweaking, and then you convert to DVD? :)

Resolve 11 already has great editing features, and 12 will only improve on that so it can fully compete with the big guns (FCP/PP/...).

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
So you export to a lossless format and then compress it to a DVD format?
If your DVD tool can handle a lossless format other than lagarith (say Apple ProRes) then that would save you work as well.
You work in Resolve both editing and grading wise, perhaps export (the same compatible file) to Final Cut for final tweaking, and then you convert to DVD? :)

Resolve 11 already has great editing features, and 12 will only improve on that so it can fully compete with the big guns (FCP/PP/...).

I've got Resolve 10 Lite and haven't used it yet for editing (I can't get it to recognize any source files), so I don't know how the options are for doing editing work in it would work for me. I figure I'm happy to try it out, but the first thing I need to do is get my source prepared in a container and codec that Resolve will accept, which so far I can't figure out.

A full NLE with strong colour grading tools sounds great, especially if they continue the trend of having a Lite version for free :)

Top Bottom