• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Daredevil

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty sweet "Daredevil vs Daredevil" trailer by [MENTION=10424]solyentbrak1[/MENTION]

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Pretty sweet "Daredevil vs Daredevil" trailer by solyentbrak1

It's mostly great, but wtf was that at 2:07?

I know Ben Affleck is playing Batman but what is Batman doing in this trailer?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see it as Batman, I see it as Daredevil (Affleck) upgrading his costume.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I don't see it as Batman, I see it as Daredevil (Affleck) upgrading his costume.

Yeah, I guess I can understand that but it didn't work for me. I think it would need some color changes or... something.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am surprised no one has yet mentioned the big casting news for season two, which has commenced filming....

Elodie Yung as ELEKTRA.... I have only seen her in the second GI JOE movie and she looks awesome in red!

Jon Bernthal of Walking Dead fame as THE PUNISHER.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I am surprised no one has yet mentioned the big casting news for season two, which has commenced filming....

Elodie Yung as ELEKTRA.... I have only seen her in the second GI JOE movie and she looks awesome in red!

Jon Bernthal of Walking Dead fame as THE PUNISHER.

Punisher casting was mentioned here. But yeah, you're the first to post about Elektra.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Pretty sweet "Daredevil vs Daredevil" trailer by solyentbrak1

It's a nice edit, but without the explanation I would not get that there is two dare devils. And I totally thought batman was coming to beat up dare devil.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I found the first season... kinda meh, actually. This is a show that pretty much demands to be set in the Seventies, and the vague references to Hell's Kitchen (or Manhattan in general? They're used pretty much interchangeably) being wrecked due to the Battle of New York don't make up for that fact.

Also problematic was Fisk. He kept saying he had a beautiful vision for the city, but what was that, exactly? Merely brand-new condos for rich outsiders? Would a neighborhood kid really want that? And he clearly wasn't actually interested in getting rid of the local drug trade, despite his public vows to the contrary. He was bad because he was bad and he was bad; which I don't find to be much to chew on.

Yes, there were some moments of real poignancy, and adult fears and concerns, much more so than other MCU properties to date, and yes, there were some good fights, but the final Fisk/Murdoch showdown in a random alley was some pretty weak sauce, as was the absence of f-bombs amidst on-screen gore and carnage. And the show falls into one of my pet peeves, wherein the main characters seem to have no life whatsoever outside the plot. Okay, Karen is new to town. But do Matt and Foggy have no other friends who call them up, or drop by, or ask them to hang?

I guess it's a good thing the Punisher's coming to town, because I'm afraid I don't yet see a very interesting future for this lot on their own. And as for street-level vigilantism, I frankly liked the first season of Arrow much more.

Season one: C+

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the show more than you did, [MENTION=6357]Gaith[/MENTION], but those are all valid concerns (also: pretty much the only time I've ever agreed with you, I think!), and I think it's harsh to use the dislike button to a well-reasoned post like this.

I don't think it's controversial to argue that not articulating ANY of Fisk's dreams for the city beyond the platitudes of "a better future" etc. was a cop-out, not to mention that we got a lot of insufferable dialogue about "MY CITY!" because no one went into specifics about anything. (Seriously, who talks like that?) That said, my main concern about Fisk was actually slightly different: I didn't buy his popularity after his press conference appearance AT ALL, considering he's obviously, even through the TV screens, a deeply disturbed, hulking bundle of repressed anger. That may work keeping Russian gangsters in check, but getting public approval for vague ideas? I don't buy it. Apart from that, I think D'Onofrio's performance was great, and I bought everything about his personality, just not his popularity, and the painting/wall pattern part was genius.

Also, Karen and Foggy (and Matt) had great chemistry together, and I would gladly watch a comedy procedural, Ally McBeal-style, with those two and Matt. I was surprised that some of my fave moments were so simple and often even really funny. I also bought Ben's paternal relationship with Karen. Vondie Curtis-Hall can sell anything. I even
shed a tear when he died.

Will definitely tune in next season.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Season Two second trailer, this time focused on Elektra and the Hand....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished season two last night.

I really enjoyed it but my wife found it boring. She found the pacing very uneven and odd. I think she expected more action or twists, as she was addicted to Jessica Jones from beginning to end.

Myself, I loved the long, drawn out character scenes and exploration. Moments that in any other show or movie that would end up on the cutting room floor, are not only retained in this series but are expanded upon. The story is explored from every angle and perspective, it takes its time to discuss ideas about what is right and wrong, good and evil, action and consequences. This may sound weird, but this show really reminds me of the original Kung Fu series starring David Carradine from the 1970s in terms of thematics... its an intellectual, philosophical action show...

And when there is action... wow! The same brutal, long fight style is retained from season one. But now we have Ninjas! Lots and lots and lots of Ninjas!!!!! So that definitely spiced things up a lot.

I like how the DD world is subtly expanding by introducing magic and mysticism. Though I think there are even less references to the larger MCU than season one.

I must admit, by the end of the season, I was getting tired of the sickly yellow/green lighting filter they have chosen for the show.

The casting is exceptionally strong. Cox is so perfect.
His suit evolved very nicely. The new all red helmut is so much better. And when he got his billyclub in the final episode I smiled broadly!

Bernthal plays tortured and brutal perfectly. It was interesting watching him on his road to become the Punisher. There were many episodes where I was uncertain if I like how the show was interpreting the character, but by the end they won me over.

Yung as Elektra.... I loved her performance but did I love how they re-imagined the character? I am still undecided and will have to watch again.

Poor Foggy and Karen... collateral damage in Matt's war. Again, superb performances. With Foggy joining the new law firm, perhaps a DD crossover in JJ season 2? And what is Karen's dark secret past??

Lots of dangling plot threads makes be thirst for season three. But when will that happen? At the pace Netflix is rolling out these shows (maybe 2 per year), what will we get first -- season three or The Defenders?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been making my way through Season 2 and I'm really enjoying it. I think somebody (*cough* ]Uncanny Antman) needs to make a fake trailer for the TV show "American Crime Story: The People vs. Frank Castle".

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
S2 was brilliant. Such amazing production values, great tone, great characters, great scripts and unbelievably good action.

Punisher reminded me of Deniro in his prime.

9.5/10

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Four episodes in, and I'm enjoying it a good deal more than S1 so far. The cliched secret identity stuff with Karen obviously isn't great, and there's usually a "WTF?!" moment or two per episode (Foggy dragged a suited-up Matt back to his apartment in broad daylight, and not a single person saw them? In what fantasy Manhattan is this?!) - but, so far, Castle is a much more compelling villain/anti-protagonist than Fisk was, given that he has clearly defined goals and motivations.

It's a shame the detective from Jessica Jones was killed off in that show, though, as the sergeant we've seen a lot of is a fine actor also, but the older one would have brought an interesting layer of aged gravitas.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, this season ran off the rails. I was meh on the first season, but, while I loved the Punisher stuff (until his storyline's pathetic denouement), I agree with The AV Club's reviewer that the last few eps were hot garbage.

The Hand and its ninja have managed, in their two seasons, to be even more generic, boring, and ill-defined than Arrow's League of Assassins. And to tease this "Black Sky" for two seasons, and then declare that Elektra is it somehow, with no explanation whatsoever as to what makes it/her so powerful... that's just shit storytelling. Who was the blood feeding?! And that massive hole in the gound - I don't mind the show teasing future storylines here and there. But to end an episode treating the hole as a massive discovery/cliffhanger and then to completely forget about it for four whole episodes is garbage.

Ben Urich, Detective Clemons, ADA Reyes - three Netflix/Marvel seasons, three prominent characters of color killed off for cheap shock/plot advancement. Lame at best.

I'm assuming Elektra is enhanced, because in no way do I buy that a prepubescent girl can throw grown, muscled men around and kick them hard enough to knock them off their feet. Trained or not, her body weight and muscle mass just isn't there. And Matt, who can hear Foggy through several hospital floors, can't hear the body movements of the ninja, but can hear them exhale? Who got paid to write that crap?! And then there was that shocking scene were the Hand cut the lights to the sewers or whatever, so Matt/Elektra lost them... Matt is blind, for Christ's sake!! (Did I mention the part where a very mild bit of steam lets the ninja, carrying the stumbling blood patients, get away from him? Well, I just did.) And Foggy lugging an unconscious Matt to his apartment in broad daylight with "no one noticing", in Manhattan?! When that shot of his apartment building roof in the finale shows the street outside fairly heavily trafficked at night? What?!

The writing in the last few eps, including much of the dialogue, was terrible. Karen's "New Yorkers are heroes, because we live in Hell's Kitchen" piece was puke-worthy. Hell's Kitchen is a small neighborhood in one borough, lady! Does your paper only target one minor Manhattan neighborhood?! And why does the same one police sergeant turn up at every crime scene, even when (as in the Punisher graveyard scene) Manhattan is in the distance? And isn't sergeant a fairly low police rank, yet here he is, ordering all these other cops around like he runs the show? How stupid do the writers think we are? (Hint: they think we are very stupid. As in, "willing to buy observers carrying large signs being let into a courtroom stupid.") Also, Foggy, a guy in his late 20s/early 30s, gets offered a corner office with an assistant because he gave a strong opening statement? 

The season's climax on the roof sucked hard. No police helicopters, no spotlights, no cops despite there being tons of cops on the ground. A few incredibly lame, emotion-free brawls. Punisher set up for mowing down tons of ninja with all that weaponry, and he shoots two or three after getting to the scene late. No emotional weight anywhere, with Elektra's death being yawn-worthy. Arrow's Season 3 finale was far better than that.

Yes, D'Onofrio remains an impressive ham. All the actors are good, though Yung's range seems limited (but she does have the worst dialogue by far). No hint whatsoever as to why The Hand is so fixated on NYC as opposed to any other city in the world. Risible writing, beyond-lazy plotting, and each ninja fight was more tedious than the last, and they weren't much to begin with. (The biker gang fight alone was far better than every Hand appearance from both seasons put together.)

... This is a very mediocre show, inane teenage stuff compared to Jessica Jones. And the fact that S2's showrunners are running The Defenders is a very bad sign. I'm curious to see more of Bernthal's Punisher, but I'd be quite happy not to see any more Daredevil itself. At least Arrow, which I've given up on, knows to have charismatic villains like Barrowman and McDonough around. The big hole in that building has more personality than the entirety of The Hand, plus Madame Gao and her lackeys.

Lame, guys. Just lame. :dodgy:

Top Bottom