• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kill Bill Reimagined (By NewSpock)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Kill Bill 1+2, but still some things I wished were different. For one I don't like them being separate movies.

Other changes:

1. I don't like those text-signs saying "This is Viper..." or saying "Chapter One- 2...", so all those are out. Given the non-linear-storytelling, which I like and want to use as well, it creates a challenge to form the sequences in such a way that the viewer is still knowing what is past and what is present.

2. I also don't like the voiceover by Kiddo herself, Kill Bill Vol 2 works just fine without it, so I did the same for the footage of Vol 1. The reason I don't like it is that listening to her comment makes it imho less intense as a detachment happens, in the form that she survived it and retells it.

3. I think that the fight against the crazy 88 is too long. It made sense within Kill Bill 1 as it is the final action-scene, but within the context of a single movie, it disturbs the pacing, so I streamlined it considerably.

4. I cut out Esteban near the end who tells her where she can find Billy, it's not necessary, she knows everything she needs from the beautiful Sophie she cuts the arm and more off:oops:.

5. The reveal of Kiddo's daughter being alive was cool as a cliffhanger at the end of Kill Bill 1, but within this "one-movie"-edit it would disturb the impact later on, so that is gone as well.

6. Different ending.

The intention is to make this into a movie of under 3 hours.

Here's a trailer:

Password: Kiddo

phxbilda9gd0hqtzg4wntm-large.jpg

The overall idea is good, but I'm not crazy about some of the ideas in the spoilers. I don't think that O-Ren's story is actually longer than anyone else's, but there are parts that tie into the overall big picture, so it takes a bit more screen time.

I've thought that it would work better as a single movie for a while now. I haven't extensively looked back over it to see what would work, though.

If Throw is right and O-Ren can't be removed entirely, maybe the sequence can be trimmed down?

NewSpock said:
I don't like them being separate movies with the first movie being so full of action and with the second one being much more talk.

FYI: Putting every scene in chronological order, accomplishes this goal perfectly. My first fanedit was exactly this and it worked very nicely IMO.

NewSpock said:
I don't like those text-signs saying "This is Viper..." or saying "Chapter One- 2...", so all those are out. Given the non-linear-storytelling, which I like and want to use as well, it creates a challenge to form the sequences in such a way that the viewer is still knowing what is past and what is present.

I can't see this idea working.

ThrowgnCpr said:
The overall idea is good, but I'm not crazy about some of the ideas in the spoilers. I don't think that O-Ren's story is actually longer than anyone else's, but there are parts that tie into the overall big picture, so it takes a bit more screen time.

The question is, do we really need to see her as a child and how she became an assassin, we didn't see Viper's backstory or that black woman's one, nor the backstory of Billy or his brother. Imho Oren sticks out in that regard, but I can't figure out why, except to show that cool animation-sequence.

TM2YC said:
FYI: Putting every scene in chronological order, accomplishes this goal perfectly. My first fanedit was exactly this and it worked very nicely IMO.

Agreed, it would work nicely chronologically, but I love the non-linear-story-telling of Kill Bill, it's just all those chapter-signs and other text-signs (except for those saying one month later or something like that) I dislike.

By the way if your chronological Kill Bill is finished, why not publish it here? Could be interesting (or was it already published?).

TM2YC said:
I can't see this idea working.

There are ways: For example we can see Kiddo striking out Oren's name on a flight, so we know that one happened already. Then we see Bill talk with his brother about Oren's fate before it happens, so when it happens we know it was before... And then we have the flashback of Kiddo's training, which is easily distinguishable as being in the past. And the last ingredient is the church-sequence which is shown in black and white. I think I can do without the chapter-signs.

NewSpock said:
The question is, do we really need to see her as a child and how she became an assassin, we didn't see Viper's backstory or that black woman's one, nor the backstory of Billy or his brother. Imho Oren sticks out in that regard, but I can't figure out why, except to show that cool animation-sequence.

Yes, but we see a glimpse of each member's life, and either how it influenced their role in the squad, or how the squad has had an effect on them. We get glimpses (see what I did there) of how Elle lost her eye, and we see how things have effected Bud's life.

The backstory to O-Ren helps to establish the grandeur of The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad's reach, almost as an empire. Without that backstory, all the additional characters lose their impact (e.g., Sofie Fatale, Johnny Mo, Gogo Yubari).

If you cut out the backstory, all that is left of O-Ren's character is a mob-leader with no debth at all. There is just a fight. Granted, this is sort of how Vernita's chapter was handled, but she was used as an opener to the overall story. I think her chapter was intentionally kept short to introduce the story without excessive exposition

There are parts of O-Ren's chapter that could be trimmed, but I think that cutting her backstory out completely would do a strong disservice to the overall story and make it seem rather flat.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Yes, but we see a glimpse of each member's life, and either how it influenced their role in the squad, or how the squad has had an effect on them. We get glimpses (see what I did there) of how Elle lost her eye, and we see how things have effected Bud's life.

The backstory to O-Ren helps to establish the grandeur of The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad's reach, almost as an empire. Without that backstory, all the additional characters lose their impact (e.g., Sofie Fatale, Johnny Mo, Gogo Yubari).

If you cut out the backstory, all that is left of O-Ren's character is a mob-leader with no debth at all. There is just a fight. Granted, this is sort of how Vernita's chapter was handled, but she was used as an opener to the overall story. I think her chapter was intentionally kept short to introduce the story without excessive exposition

There are parts of O-Ren's chapter that could be trimmed, but I think that cutting her backstory out completely would do a strong disservice to the overall story and make it seem rather flat.

I can see your point, but wouldn't it suffice to see that she takes charge and becomes the yakuza's leader?

The problem I have with the animation-sequence is that it is in animation, and that it is told by Kiddo, while it was possible to edit the rest of the movie in such a way that she doesn't tell anything.

Maybe it's possible to include parts of the animation as a flashback right after one of the Yakuzas loses their temper and offends her, and then when she has avenged her parent's death, I could cut back to the meeting, and then she cuts the yakuza's head off. Will have to play with the footage and see if it pans out well.

Another question is the revealing that Kiddo's child is still alive at the end of Kill Bill 1. Using that scene means to spoiler the surprise when Kiddo wants to kill Bill, but on the other hand revealing before has the advantage of foreshadowing, so that the viewer can look forward to Kiddo's surprise. Difficult decision, what do you think is better?

NewSpock said:
I can see your point, but wouldn't it suffice to see that she takes charge and becomes the yakuza's leader?

with what footage? I don't see this working without retaining some of the animated backstory.

NewSpock said:
Another question is the revealing that Kiddo's child is still alive at the end of Kill Bill 1. Using that scene means to spoiler the surprise when Kiddo wants to kill Bill, but on the other hand revealing before has the advantage of foreshadowing, so that the viewer can look forward to Kiddo's surprise. Difficult decision, what do you think is better?

I think revealing the child is alive early in the film would be a bad idea. In fact, you could try to make the reveal more of a surprise, by rearranging some of the stuff at the end. I'd have to have a quick look at the scene again, but it would be cool if you could make the reveal while she is fighting Bill.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I think revealing the child is alive early in the film would be a bad idea. In fact, you could try to make the reveal more of a surprise, by rearranging some of the stuff at the end. I'd have to have a quick look at the scene again, but it would be cool if you could make the reveal while she is fighting Bill.

Not early, the reveal would be near the end, but right before she drives to Billy. The question is to use that foreshadowing near the end or not and make the viewer be as surprised as Kiddo. Still undecided.

As to your idea, it's a nice one, but I don't think it can be done with the footage as being surprised by the kid is the only thing that would make Kiddo slow down and talk with Bill.

If you wanted to get really freaky with the order of scenes, you could include that "her child is alive" scene as the opening sequence. then titles.

addiesin said:
If you wanted to get really freaky with the order of scenes, you could include that "her child is alive" scene as the opening sequence. then titles.

Revealing it from the start would take out the tension. I've watched now the sequence about five times, with and without the reveal before driving to Bill. I think now it's better without the reveal, so it is a total shocker for both, viewer and Kiddo, at the same time.

As to Oren, it's possible to use parts of the animation-sequence as a flashback during the meeting she has with the yakuzas.

NewSpock said:
By the way if your chronological Kill Bill is finished, why not publish it here? Could be interesting (or was it already published?).

Nobody wants to see an 11 year old edit (With probably lots of technical problems) :-D. Maybe I'll remake it in HD someday soon. But enough clogging up your thread, back to your edit.

Will you be using the uncensored Japanese cut of KB1?

I kinda know what you mean about O-Ren having more focus than the other members. Elle should have the most focus, as she's got a personal beef with the Bride, over Bill but having a private army of blacksuited Ninja's kinda pulls focus regardless of plot.

Trying to remember but is there anything (that can't be cut) to suggest that Bill's house isn't in Japan? Like The Bride has to get through O-Ren to get to Bill?

Eh, not really on that last point. I'm sure it could be sort of kind of maybe a little, but for the grand scheme of things I don't think so. Not to mention that the Bride would have completely changed wardrobe and hairstyle. :D
[MENTION=19767]NewSpock[/MENTION], I highly recommend Kill Bill X. Not only is it the edit that brought me to this site oh so many moons ago, but it radically restructures the film and story. The editing and video quality were solid, too. Granted, it's nine years old (hold on. Let me pause to feel old) so you'd have to ask around to see if anyone has a copy floating around.

The uncensored cut is absolutely glorious. I hope you have that because it's a huge improvement, if only for the Crazy 88 fight being in full glorious gory colour! The animated sequence is longer as well, but if you're not going to use that, who cares, right? :p

TM2YC said:
Nobody wants to see an 11 year old edit (With probably lots of technical problems) :-D. Maybe I'll remake it in HD someday soon. But enough clogging up your thread, back to your edit.

I would be interested to see it, but only in HD (SD looks so flat and fuzzy on my 42-inch-full-HD-TV), so if you someday find the time, that would be great.

TM2YC said:
Will you be using the uncensored Japanese cut of KB1?

I own Kill Bill 1 and 2 as dvds and blurays, but on both the crazy 88-fight is in black and white. But I don't have a problem with that, I think it's a nice style-element.

TM2YC said:
I kinda know what you mean about O-Ren having more focus than the other members. Elle should have the most focus, as she's got a personal beef with the Bride, over Bill but having a private army of blacksuited Ninja's kinda pulls focus regardless of plot.

O-Ren indeed gets more attention than the others, but I can now also see ThrowgnCpr's point: O-Ren's animated back-story serves as a themed backstory for all of the deadly vipers, it's sort of done as exemplary for all and it touches the overall theme of revenge. So I use a portion of it, namely her parents getting killed and she revenging it, but without the voiceovers by Kiddo.

TM2YC said:
Trying to remember but is there anything (that can't be cut) to suggest that Bill's house isn't in Japan? Like The Bride has to get through O-Ren to get to Bill?

Not particularly, but the vibe in Bill's house including the western running in the TV and him suggesting to fight on the beach... suggests a different setting.
And like Aztek463 noted, she changes her clothing.

@ Aztek463: Just read on Kill Bill X's changes, sounds interesting, but cutting out that Kiddo's child is alive and making it like she kills Vernita Green's child, is quite radical;-).

I think I have now a nicely paced structure of the story (although I can't be sure until I've watched it from start to finish), but it comes at a price:

Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2 are so structured, that Bill's face is not shown in the first part, while Bill is sort of the main-focus of part 2.

Restructuring it into a single movie means I have to sacrifice that sort of mystery, ie. Bill is seen after about 40 minutes into the edit.

Looking forward to this, your opinion about how one has (way) more action than the other is pretty much what I thought, this looks like the perfect Kill Bill edit for me :)

Smithers said:
Looking forward to this, your opinion about how one has (way) more action than the other is pretty much what I thought, this looks like the perfect Kill Bill edit for me :)

Thanks for the interest, and hopefully the result will live up to the advance praise. :)

I think this might be controversial:
I've cut the fight against the crazy eighty-eight in half. Yes, it's cool and funny with Kiddo jumping around, breakdancing on the floor while cutting down her enemies and pulling that stick down and let it go back... but it takes away the thrill and makes the crazy eighty-eight rather harmless. So for the sake of tension I've reorganized it.

For a few days I even thought about taking out the crazy eighty eight completely but then refrained from it, as it would reduce Kiddo's achievement before meeting Oren in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom