• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IFDB Review: Dark Knight Saga Recut, The - Part I:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brief: this surpasses the original. It can easily replace the theatrical cut Batman Begins for any viewer a bit underwhelmed by the first installment of Nolan's trilogy.Long:NJVC has done excellent work on this edit: there are no pacing issues, the story remains intact but streamlined, and video/audio quality is superb.Constructive criticisms: 1. The initial confrontation between Jonathan Crane and Rachel Dawes jars slightly, as it used to be followed by a quick conversation between her and her boss. The new cut removes that second conversation and goes straight to Wayne watching Dawes from a pay-phone. The cut is fine, but the scene switch comes quite jarringly. It may have been better to keep that second conversation to maintain the smooth flow of those scenes, and also to introduce the minor character of Dawes' boss. As it is the character is a one-shot, who is suddenly introduced in Act II and then never seen/heard from again. 2. The sub-plot of the Microwave Emitter comes a bit from left-field, and probably could have been retained in some places (particularly as it kills of Dawes' aforementioned boss, resolving his character). The conflict between Fox and Earl was suitably gone, but that earlier introduction would be valuable.Really these were the only scenes I noticed that (I felt) should have been kept. Which is excellent for a film with this many trims!The sub-plot of Earl vs Wayne + Fox is gone, and not missed. Although it is always lovely to see more Rutger Hauer, I can see why it's cut. That subplot basically resolved itself as a status quo: Wayne owns Wayne Enterprises at the start, and he owes it at the end. There is no change to that situation, so it wasn't necessary. Good work!Overall, this is an excellent cut, and will replace my DVD of Batman Begins for sure. The colour correction is a stand-out: the film no longer looks like it was dipped in mud before shooting.9.5/10 for narrative, 10/10 for all other elements.

More...

Top Bottom