• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Need help with my old (better) sound system

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need a wireless this:

fs-3mm-mrca-3.gif

But WIRELESS.

I have an awesome Panasonic amp from 1990 which doesn't have all the Bluetooth and USB and bullshit connectivity of today's sound systems which sound like crap.

Does anybody know of any such contraption?

anticipated result:

blue using the force to reroute signals wirelessly to his speakers. . . which are levitating near the ceiling and issuing japanese dream pop.

then blue gets a text message and/or the urge to excrete, he loses focus, and the speakers come crashing to the floor.

Adabisi said:
Any of the benefits in sound quality that you gain with a old receiver would be negated by a wireless connection. Why not just get a really long wired connection like this and hide the cable?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5603&seq=1&format=2

That's what I'd do of course if I didn't move everything around every couple of months. It keeps my kitty happy.

I checked out matrixgrindhouse and ssj's suggestions but it doesn't appear to be what I need.

I need stereo male to RCA males. We have old equipment and kitty like to use her discman even though she's got an ipod. What can I say. She likes old things.

What you're asking for would function like this, right? Just want to be 100% clear I understand your needs before researching further.

diagram_zpshbizoeh9.png

Okay. I have very, very, very limited experience with bluetooth, and can in no way guarantee this will work. Seriously, do not blame me if this fails. Make sure you can return this stuff if it doesn't work out.

I think you can make this setup work as follows.

Connect your CD player to this:

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT...id=1426620650&sr=1-37&keywords=3.5mm+wireless

Connect this to your stereo receiver with a pair of RCA cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-...d=1426620730&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+to+rca

Pair these devices together. In theory, you will then be able to stream music from the CD player to the stereo.

Brilliant! Thanks Johnny 5. I think that just might work. I'll report here as soon as everything's arrived.

Doesn't work. Returning everything to amazon.

I guess I'll just have to live with wires.

blueyoda said:
Doesn't work. Returning everything to amazon.

I guess I'll just have to live with wires.

Damn. Sorry, Yoda. What happened when you tried? You did pair the two bluetooth devices together, and charged them, right?

The damn things wouldn't synchronize. According to the specs of each they should but they don't.

Fuck Bluetooth. I need a different solution.

Bluetooth audio sucks. For car streaming it's okay (since it often works in tandem with hands-free phone features (answering with a dashboard button), but it compresses the sound output in addition to its general flakiness.

If you're set on using that amp and want good sound quality, you're limited in your options. What you need is something similar to the now-defunct Squeezebox line, i.e. a cheap mini-computer sitting next to your amp, with analogue sound out, that streams losslessly over wi-fi, not bluetooth. The closest right now is probably a Raspberry Pi computer with an extra analogue output, running the free Pi Music Box OS (which supports and DLNA and AirPlay, and has apps for Spotify, Soundcloud, Google Music and others, in addition to local music from a harddrive). Here's a bundle for this setup. It's cheaper to DIY, but it will take time. On the other hand, there are some ridiculously cool setups/mods out there.

It's basically a Sonos system on a budget.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, didn't notice the Discman bit. If you want to go down that road, I'm stumped. You need a laptop or a smartphone for my setup to work properly, and it doesn't really take physical media into account. If you need the old amp and the old discman, I honestly think there's no getting around wires. There are sound boxes that can do what you want (basically mini-amps with built in wifi), but they're prohibitively expensive, degrade sound quality (slightly) and you need at least a sender and receiver, rendering the whole setup pointless.

Actually, come to think of it, the RPi solution can give you a boss media center PC for playing fanedits and movies as well for no extra cost. You'd have to install OSMC instead of Pi Music Box and then install Mopidy (the under the hood system of Pi Music Box). If I didn't already have a HTPC, I'd be all over this setup myself.

Back
Top Bottom