• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Need Help?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the all new Technical Information forum. In this Audio Editing section you can find information on all your audio concerns.

If you have a question or a problem, there is a good chance that someone has had the same problem too. So please search the newly organized forums before posting any questions. This will help to avoid asking the same question 100 times.

ArtofLife

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know this is the most basic question but if there's a thread/post that answers it please direct me to it.

For my edit I'm working with inserting deleted scenes with 2.0 stereo to the main film with 5.1 audio on Vegas Pro 16.0. While I do plan on converting the 5.1 audio to stereo to match the deleted scenes, how do I go about the process of correctly inserting the deleted scenes with the main film?

I've read on other forums that you go about this by crossfading but is this correct?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should cross-fade audio where it feels appropriate for a transition, many times this is before or after the video transition (and are referred to as J cuts and L cuts because of the shape they make in the timeline). Don't fade out to nothing then fade in from nothing, and don't use hard cuts in audio, both are very noticeable.

Most films don't utilize cross-fades in the actual video side (except in special cases like maybe dream sequences). Usually simple hard cuts will do just fine.

ArtofLife

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What should the duration be when doing audio cross-fades?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What should the duration be when doing audio cross-fades?
A few seconds maybe. It really depends on a lot of different things though. Rather than a specific measured amount I try to keep some things in mind and just listen and watch over and over while making little adjustments.

Essentially you should try to avoid it sounding weird when your eyes are closed, and avoid it feeling weird when you're watching it. Top of the head list of to dos and not to dos (and I'm no expert, others may have more to add) would maybe be:
  1. Avoid fading from one song to another with clashing drum beats/clashing musical timing, If at all possible line it up to match the rhythm and (usually 4/4) timing. But really if you're fading from one song with heavy percussion to another with the same, maybe reconsider where the cut is, or consider sound replacement on one end or the other. if you need to cut some extra frames somewhere to line it up, or if the beats just don't match at all and you need to extend the first song past the cut and turn it into an L cut, or stop the song before it starts and turn it into a J cut, so be it. But you'll have to judge it and feel it out.
  2. Avoid fading from one song to another when the melodies are noticeably in different keys, you can tell because it will sound dissonant or "wrong" when mixed together, like a hand pressed on a bunch of piano keys. Same advice as above to deal with it.
  3. When in doubt, let it fade out (or in) longer. This one is hard for me. Try to avoid having volume perceivably dip down quieter at the mid point of a cut. Overall perceived volume (the master track) should be consistent over your edit points while still achieving the first two goals.

Top Bottom