• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A tribute to John Alvin

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I really never planed to do any more Star Wars covers following the "Singles Set", I wanted to just focus on further alternate covers for other DVDs. However, I was shocked at the news of Alvin's death, and really as soon as I heard about it last month I decided I should do a tribute set. It will be somewhat similar to my 95-based covers, except it will more strictly follow the style of the original VHS/Laserdisc covers, and I'm going to use further Alvin artwork on the back - at this stage, I'm thinking of using Alvin's artwork as the large left-picture on the back; and then his star-field on the right. Here is an early mock-up:

esbmockaa1.jpg

So far this is what I've done:

1. sized and cropped Alvin's artwork suitably for the three covers.
2. inserted the SW, ESB and ROTJ logos suitably as seen in the mock image.

The spine will be very similar to the 95 one, just with Alvin's artwork and hopefully a decent image depicting the character/characters appearing on the original VHS covers. I haven't yet started work on the back, it won't really look like the back in the mock-up (which is from my 95-based cover), but it will of course be somewhat similar - there just won't be any red, and as I said it'll follow the style of the 95 Alvin VHS cover more faithfully, and not the 95 Faces (the 95-based cover was a "hybrid" between the two).

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not bad. Keep it up.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quite nice, but I've never been too keen on the red title.

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've done the fronts, and most of the spines:

alvinmockpb3.jpg

The red will be gone from the back, but I think the red-titles go with the Alvin artwork quite nicely really.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah the red is nice. Someone made a very very similar set using Alvins artwork. It was either coov or Falle over at originaltrilogy

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I've just ruined my only copy of Falle's Alvin artwork by saving two of them in a rotated form and loosing much quality! If anyone has the set, please contact me so I can get them back. I should have a back-up - but I can't find it!

Anyway this is what Falle's covers look like:

fallealvinwj9.jpg

fallealvin2ee3.jpg

Top Bottom