• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Article: Steven Soderbergh Recuts 2001

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
I wish someone would do an HD restoration of his Psychos edit.
I tried it but the scenes where the 2 movies merge became to much of headache.
Just an idea.

If I'm ever crazy enough to buy the remake of 'Psycho' on Blu-Ray, I totally will.

On a related subject... If I wrote up all Soderbergh's edits on IFDB (so people could review them like other edits). Is there any person, or persons here, who have seen his fanedits, that would be prepared to write cutlists? I've pretty much done one for 'The Butcher's Cut' but 'The Return Of W. De Rijk', 'Raiders' and 'Psychos' would need watching and comparing to the sources. Any like-minded super-film-geeks out there? :p

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Psychos- from my perspective had no real cuts that I could tell.
also I was looking and haven't found the Psycho remake on blu-ray, yet.

Dustin6595

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Soderbergh is a hack, he's trying to say blu ray looks better than 70mm projections.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's already taken down after complaints from the Kubrick Estate and Warner :-(

I was going to download it and watch it but there's no chance of that now.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dustin6595 said:
I think Soderbergh is a hack

Please to elaborate.

Dustin6595

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Please to elaborate.
He claims that a Blu Ray looks better than a 70mm film print. He thinks that Digital is far superior to Film and believes that Kubrick would actually agree on that which shows his complete lack of knowledge on the subject. I think 'Traffic' is a very good movie, but other than that I think most of his movies are overrated and that his ignorance towards the history of film seems to come up very frequently in his work. I appreciate what he does with fan edits and how he's tried to save 'Heaven's Gate', and I respect some of his decisions as a filmmaker, but I just can't take him seriously after most of his comments on the subject.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I thought...

Dustin6595 said:
He claims that a Blu Ray looks better than a 70mm film print. He thinks that Digital is far superior to Film and believes that Kubrick would actually agree on that which shows his complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

...have nothing to do with his skills as a Director, they are his opinions on the aesthetics of cinema. I prefer film to digital video but that doesn't make him wrong. Also, his theory that Kubrick would prefer digital is very well argued and could well be right, but we'll never know as nobody can ask Kubrick.

Dustin6595 said:
I think 'Traffic' is a very good movie, but other than that I think most of his movies are overrated and that his ignorance towards the history of film seems to come up very frequently in his work. I appreciate what he does with fan edits and how he's tried to save 'Heaven's Gate', and I respect some of his decisions as a filmmaker, but I just can't take him seriously after most of his comments on the subject.

This also has nothing to do with him being an example of the overused and misused term, "Hack". A hack Director is one "Who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money". So while you might say that Michael Bay is a hack because he makes films in a cynical way. You can't call a Director who often made avant-garde films, a large variety of different films in different styles, films about Communist heros, films about gay relationships and also retired early from his profession for reasons of artistic integrity, a "Hack".

If you don't like his films that's a different issue. He's not one of my favourite Director's either ('Behind the Candelabra' was great though).

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Given the heated reactions I've seen to this elsewhere, you'd think Soderbergh had snuck into the vault and physically cut the negative. I can understand Kubrick's daughter being upset about it.

I'm of the mind 2001 doesn't need messing around with, (save for restoring the trims Kubrick made well into it's theatrical run which still exist in WB's vaults) but that's just me. We really shouldn't be able to see the seams in the front projection screen in HD though.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vitali is splitting hairs, as DVD was in it's infancy as a format when Kubrick died. Another close confidant of Kubrick's is in possession of some alternate take footage from The Shining.

With the 50th anniversary of 2001 coming up in a few years, Warner's will be looking for something extra to add to the inevitable new Blu Ray of the film, which will hopefully correct the current issues.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay it's sorted. If anybody still wants to see this fanedit... look for the fanedit info :).

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Okay it's sorted. If anybody still wants to see this fanedit... look for the fanedit info :).

You, good Sir, just made my day :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Due to the location of this thread I can't hit a Like button so I'm calling you out instead. I like this.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've added this to IFDB...

The Return Of W. De Rijk

...so add your reviews if you like. Also if anybody jots down a cutlist (Long or short) PM it to me and I'll add it to the listing. Thanks :).

The listing felt a bit spartan without some artwork ;-)...

2001_3Dview.jpg

adr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it still possible to see this? I am having trouble finding it.

bgallacher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

What does this mean? I looked under info on the fanedit page...

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bgallacher said:
What does this mean? I looked under info on the fanedit page...

You seem to be new, so welcome aboard. Log in, and check your PM's - I've sent you full details on what this means and where to find it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
cicerobuck said:
Well, seems I'm a newbie as well and might need the same info ;-) Cheers

Someone sending a PM is a bit of a shortcut. If you plan on hanging around, the following links are necessary:

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

Top Bottom