• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Article: Steven Soderbergh Recuts 2001

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently he cuts shot of the monolith to the eye of HAL. Meaning the monolith really have an effect on the computer's "mind", like it did with the apes (read that on one comment)
It's funny because I always thought it was super obvious that it was a big part of the story (even the shape around the eye of HAL looks like the monolith, and I'm sure Soderberg did not miss the opportunity to play with it)... until I read the novel last month and find out that, no, the HAL going nuts segment have nothing to do with the monolith. It really is just a problem of HAL having trouble lying to humans because the mission needed it. What a letdown, lol. (but the movie do not emphasis this side of the story, so it really leaves the audience to think what they want)

(Side note: I'm reading 2010 right now and it's funny because C.Clarck wrote in fact a sequel to the movie. Not one of his own book! Several scenes from the Kubrick's movie that are not in his book are mentioned, as well as some change of settings (the huge monolith floating on space, instead of being at the surface of a planet, etc..)
I read that in the other two books, 2061 and 3001, he also made changes to the story to be more scientifically accurate.)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Direct link so you don't have to be bombarded with IndieWire's adverts...

THE RETURN OF W. DE RIJK

Soderbergh doesn't seem to mention what this edit is all about. Guess I'll have to watch it to find out. As for Soderbergh saying digital is better than film... booooh! :D

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While 2001:A Space Odyssey is one of the last movies I've ever felt the urge to alter (well, apart from removing the damned 'intermission'!), I'll certainly be interested to check out Soderbergh's video to see what he's come up with.

Of course, I'd be more curious to see what he could do with the likes of the Star Wars prequels say, but maybe that's just me. ;-)

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
W. DE RIJK, I name thee faneditor!!

ImperialFighter said:
Of course, I'd be more curious to see what he could do with the likes of the Star Wars prequels say, but maybe that's just me. ;-)

Was thinking the same but half as a joke. W. DE RIJK, how would ya like to take on Attack of the Clones? :lol:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
is there a way to download this?

Yes there is, but let's not discuss it here.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeI4BLt.jpg

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've only seen 2001 all the way through one time and I just watched the edit so I'll try to compare what I remember as the main differences.

There are some shots of HAL in the dawn of man sequence for some reason.
Time on the space station is cut down to basically say that the next stop is the moon and that's it.

Other than that I honestly don't know what was changed and trimmed. I'm not sure what music was changed. There is this one song that mainly seems to just be a choir creating a sense of dread which I found to be extremely annoying but I'm not sure if that was in the original because I just don't remember.

All in all, 2001 is still has amazing special effects and it's still extremely boring for the most part, even when cut down to less than 2 hours. It's very memorable because HAL is such an interesting character, but when you sit down to watch it you remember that you don't actually like the movie.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speak for yourself.

Going to have to watch this new cut at some point. Love that Soderbergh's doing fan edits.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
skyled said:
All in all, 2001 is still has amazing special effects and it's still extremely boring for the most part, even when cut down to less than 2 hours. It's very memorable because HAL is such an interesting character, but when you sit down to watch it you remember that you don't actually like the movie.

Amen. I can see how, in 1968, this blew people's minds. But all I see is Frankenstein in Space sandwiched between hours of wankery. I had so much fun editing this movie.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WELL...its gone!
I did manage to watch it at least...i liked it...a lot.
Since I could not capture it in anything other than a low res ...gonna have to recreate this for myself...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"AT THE REQUEST OF WARNER BROS. AND THE STANLEY KUBRICK ESTATE, THE RETURN OF W. DE RIJK HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS SITE"

Warner Brothers... figures.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank heavens I have Pulp Empire....
I do wonder if Kubrick were alive if he would have supported this like George Lucas

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish someone would do an HD restoration of his Psychos edit.
I tried it but the scenes where the 2 movies merge became to much of headache.
Just an idea.

Top Bottom