• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Photoshop Black Spots on Clone Stamp Tool ??

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys...

For my Family Guy edit I'm trying to cut out the stupid dialogue about the Death Star real estate property value by changing the hands on the imperial officer right before he gets choked by Vader. By matching his hand gestures from right before he's choking to right before he starts blabbing about real estate I can easily cut out everything in between.

The problem is that when I try to use the clone stamp tool to make some changes, I get these weird black spots? (see below). I've exported frames in TIFF format.

Should I use another format? Is that the reason? This seems like the good way to go to fix the hand gestures so I'd really like to know what's going wrong here. I've never seen anything like this before.

Here's a screengrab:

penz4M0.png

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmmm...I think I've encountered this sort of thing before, but it's been a while. Have you tried cloning into a different layer above the one you're trying to correct? In other words, sample the original, create a new layer, and stamp in that layer? It's possible that what you are trying to stamp out may be interfering, and stamping over it in a new layer may eliminate that problem.

That's my best guess, anyway, from just seeing the screengrab of the result without seeing the project window...hope it helps!

ETA: Forgot to ask -- is this going to be a still, or is it part of a moving sequence? Will you have to correct multiple frames or just one? The answer may make a difference in terms of how best to approach this in Photoshop.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Hmmmm...I think I've encountered this sort of thing before, but it's been a while. Have you tried cloning into a different layer above the one you're trying to correct? In other words, sample the original, create a new layer, and stamp in that layer? It's possible that what you are trying to stamp out may be interfering, and stamping over it in a new layer may eliminate that problem.

That's my best guess, anyway, from just seeing the screengrab of the result without seeing the project window...hope it helps!

I asked someone at work (benefits of working in a production company :-D) and I had selected the wrong mode. I had it set to 'darken' and changed it to 'normal' instead. Back on track, problem solved! :-D

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, that makes sense...glad you were able to work it out! :)

jnavi6

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Hey guys...

For my Family Guy edit I'm trying to cut out the stupid dialogue about the Death Star real estate property value by changing the hands on the imperial officer right before he gets choked by Vader. By matching his hand gestures from right before he's choking to right before he starts blabbing about real estate I can easily cut out everything in between.

The problem is that when I try to use the clone stamp tool to make some changes, I get these weird black spots? (see below). I've exported frames in TIFF format.

Should I use another format? Is that the reason? This seems like the good way to go to fix the hand gestures so I'd really like to know what's going wrong here. I've never seen anything like this before.

Here's a screengrab:

penz4M0.png

This is what worked for me. Select the clone tool. Under the 'edit' tab (if your photoshop layout is the same as mine), there should be a clone tool button. Click that, then click the settings icon, followed by 'reset tool'.

Top Bottom