• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Agent Carter

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just saw the first two episodes and thought it was pretty good. :)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I missed the premiere tonight but I'll be watching on Hulu tomorrow.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We're off to a fine start. Just enough links to the universe without going too overboard too quickly. I'm liking the Carter/Jarvis dynamic. I'm in. Anyone else think they were going for a Pulp Fiction reference, what with the orange glow? Wouldn't be the first one in the MCU, at the very least. Slight nitpick: didn't automats, by design, not need waitresses? I thought that was the whole point.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mrs. Heb and I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episodes. I definitely thought about the Pulp Fiction reference as well. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that Jarvis was in it. When I first heard him speak to Carter, I wondered aloud whether he might be Jarvis, since he sounds a great deal like Paul Bettany.

Another (I think) probable reference: the hotel for "nice girls" is very similar to the one Jenny Blake lives in in The Rocketeer, which was of course directed by Joe Johnston, who brought a similar vibe to the first Cap movie.

Overall, I think the show takes some of the best elements of the first movie, The Rocketeer, and The Shadow...not bad at all.

Also, I wonder whether the
implosion bombs
have any kind of relation to Thor: The Dark World? It wouldn't be the first time that technology crosses over between Marvel franchises, after all, and they are reminiscent of the
grenades used by the Dark Elves
. Could just be convergent evolution -- Stark coming up with the same idea -- but maybe there's more to it than that. Time will (or at least may) tell...

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Overall I found it to be a great start to this limited run series. The potentials for future Peggy Carter movie fan edits is something I'm looking forward to seeing people do.

I liked that Anton Vanko made an appearance. Not something I was expecting.

hebrides I was thinking the same thing almost immediately about Peggy's new living arrangement being similar to what Jenny was living in during the Rocketeer!

I'm also wondering if there will be plot lines introduced that will be covered on Agents of Shield following this series' conclusion.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed both episodes a lot.

Unlike "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (which is a very good show, but took a while to really get going), "Agent Carter" hit the ground running. It has some great visuals and action, witty humor, engaging plot, fun characters, etc. Pretty much everything I was hoping for and more. It has a fun "Spy Smasher meets Remington Steele" sort of style. Hayley Atwell makes for a likable and interesting (not to mention great-looking) heroine, and James D'Arcy as Edwin Jarvis has fantastic comic timing. (I'm convinced, after seeing D'Arcy as Jarvis in "Agent Carter" and as Anthony Perkins in "Hitchcock", that he's going places. He's very talented.) I'm also impressed by the action. Peggy's usage of improvised weapons (most memorably a stapler) and other "dirty fighting" techniques helps keep it believable that she can win against larger and stronger opponents, which gives the fight scenes a certain degree of verisimilitude. The improvised weapons also help make the fights more interesting and memorable. The period costumes, sets, and details are well-done and add an extra layer of enjoyment to the show. The tone feels reminiscent of old B-movies and serials, which is a big plus for me.

I'm a big fan of adventure movies, books, serials, comics, etc, made or set in the 1930s-1940s (I'm the kind of guy that reads Doc Savage pulps and counts Buster Crabbe as one of the all-time greatest action heroes) so I always get excited and have high expectations when this sort of thing comes along, and so far, it hasn't let me down. I hope it continues to be as good as it is now (or better).

One thing I was afraid that the show would do is spend so much time and effort on filling in blanks from other Marvel properties or setting up future events that it doesn't work well as a standalone show, but so far, it doesn't show any signs of falling into that trap. I hope it continues not to.

Some highlights so far:

Peggy knocking a guy out with a stapler.

Jarvis having to be convinced that certain top secret missions that he needed to go on were more important than whatever he and his wife were doing at that time.

Shelden McFee (played by Devin Ratray, who played Buzz in "Home Alone") jogging down a road handcuffed to a chair, then sitting down in it when he realizes he can't outrun the SSR agents.

The Roxxon facility being reduced to one big ball of junk by an implosion.

Peggy putting on a very convincing American accent when going undercover.

That flash-stun-raygun whatchamacallit.

1940s instant messaging with a typewriter.

The Captain America radio show.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few Easter eggs and fun behind the scenes anecdotes:

In case anyone missed it, the Russian scientist Peggy and Jarvis consult is Anton Vanko, the father of Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke's character in "Iron Man 2"). The show will probably portray the incidents that caused the bad blood between the Vankos and Starks.

Daniel Sousa (the SSR agent with a crutch) is played by Enver Gjokaj, who played one of the policemen in "The Avengers".

EnverGjokajAgentCarterTheAvengers_zps7f5ec6a5.jpg

Hayley Atwell (who does most of her own stunts) kept accidentally hitting stuntmen and actors, and causing other such on-set mishaps. Here are some pictures of the tweets she made each time:

HayleyAtwellsTimelineofDestructiononAgentCarterSet-1_zpsb7a18bf7.jpg

HayleyAtwellsTimelineofDestructiononAgentCarterSet-2_zps7999bc4a.jpg

Also, here are some clips of Hayley Atwell talking about "Agent Carter" on "Jimmy Kimmel Live". In the first video, she mentions the on-set mishaps.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Had a nice Alias vibe. The action was great.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bet this show would look gorgeous in black and white

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
agent-carter_zpsbab578f0.jpg

Definitely liked the first two eps. So far, the series has been avoiding the asskicking-in-high-heels super-woman mode Peggy of the one-shot. I mean, if she was wearing heels during the fight on the top of that milk truck, I didn't notice. Shame to not have Bradley Whitford around, but the new chief guy is pretty good, and more credibly badass.

(Do I need to observe that a black dude died first? I guess not - it didn't bother me, really, but I did notice it.)

I'd assumed the season would have been set up, plot wise, by AoS - as in, the Bus Gang started to investigate a mystery, Agent Carter showed its origins, then the second half of AoS S2 finished it off - but they seem to be on totally different tracks, what with the whole Inhuman stuff.

Yeah, Atwell's Yankee accent is darn good. Though when she's onscreen, I sometimes get distracted by the thought that she might have considerable back pain. Due to her large... arc reactors.

I was also reminded of the dark elves' implosion grenades, but they left nothing, and these things leave wreckage, as we see.

The Cap nods have been cute, but I trust they'll dial that down as the season progresses...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool poster, Gaith! Thanks for sharing it :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone know what the status is of the One-Shot in relation to this show? Which comes first? Does the show retcon-away the One-Shot?

I think it goes Captain America->Agent Carter Series->Agent Carter One-Shot

Doesn't Stark say at the end of the One-Shot he wants her to "run SHIELD" with him? If so then I think we have a pretty clear path set out for the character and as long as they stay on that path (continuity-wise) I think it'll be really successful.

First two episodes definitely lived up to the hype.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a really good question. I noticed one small bit from the one-shot (Carter kicking a guy through a window, IIRC) as part of the opening montage, but it was such a quick thing that it would be easy to have the chronology you suggested, and I do like the idea of this being a sequel to the movie and a prequel to the one-shot.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That flash-stun-raygun whatchamacallit.

I do believe that's one of the handheld hypo beams that Coulson waxed nostalgic about awhile back. One may have been in agent Trip's bag of tricks. If so, that's some smart continuity right there.

1940s instant messaging with a typewriter.

Yes! I've been wanting to see Telex put to use in spy fiction for a good while now, and was ecstatic to see it used so effectively by Hyd - sorry, "Leviathan" operatives. One of the coolest ahead-of-its-time pieces of old timey tech.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm no longer holding my breath for an incorporation of the one-shot, amigos. It may not be entirely compatible with the full course of the season...

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Anyone know what the status is of the One-Shot in relation to this show? Which comes first? Does the show retcon-away the One-Shot?

I think it goes Captain America->Agent Carter Series->Agent Carter One-Shot

Doesn't Stark say at the end of the One-Shot he wants her to "run SHIELD" with him? If so then I think we have a pretty clear path set out for the character and as long as they stay on that path (continuity-wise) I think it'll be really successful.
I think that the one shot is set after the series, and that Howard Stark chooses to have her help him run S.H.I.E.L.D. largely because of what she does to help him during the events of the series. Although I think I had read something somewhere about the series being set "in the middle" of the one shot (after Peggy's secret mission at the beginning, but before Howard's phone call at the end).

Gaith said:
I'm no longer holding my breath for an incorporation of the one-shot, amigos. It may not be entirely compatible with the full course of the season...
Knowing Marvel, they tend to try to make everything they make fit into the continuity of everything else they make. Now, I do have doubts that they will actually include the one shot as part of an episode, but I doubt that they will do anything to outright contradict it.

I think that now would be a good time to have a round up of the posters released so far. They're all very striking.

First of all, here's the poster for the one shot:

AgentCarterOneShotPoster_zpsc6fe72e9.jpg

And here are all of the posters for the series that I could find (minus the one that [MENTION=6357]Gaith[/MENTION] posted earlier, but including two that are very similar, but without any text on them):

AgentCarterPoster1_zps2f6c919b.jpg

AgentCarterPoster2_zps39e8305a.jpg

AgentCarterPoster3_zps0735b776.jpg

AgentCarterPoster4_zps339151a1.jpg

AgentCarterPoster5_zpsfbc5b6ad.jpg

AgentsofSHIELDampAgentCarterPoster_zps0be657d2.jpg

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tonight's episode was good. I missed the first ten minutes because of work.

And I missed last Tuesday's episode entirely. I'll have to watch it online. I was confused during tonight's episode and felt I was missing something.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:

And I missed last Tuesday's episode entirely. I'll have to watch it online. I was confused during tonight's episode and felt I was missing something.
To be fair, it is a miniseries (only 8 episodes). There is very little filler.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:

There was no new episode yesterday. It was just a rerun of last Tuesday's episode.

Jan 6: Two-hour premiere, episodes 1 and 2 back to back.

Jan 13: Episode 3.

Jan. 20: Rerun of episode 3. No new episode, due to the President's State of the Union address.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
There was no new episode yesterday. It was just a rerun of last Tuesday's episode.

Jan 6: Two-hour premiere, episodes 1 and 2 back to back.

Jan 13: Episode 3.

Jan. 20: Rerun of episode 3. No new episode, due to the President's State of the Union address.

Ah, okay. I was pleasantly surprised it was on at 8, because I thought I'd heard it was gonna be on at 9 normally.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So far, so good.

Very interested in what becomes of that vial of Cap's blood. And Dotty is, as some predicted, some sort of operative, keeping tabs on Peggy. Protecting her? Or does she just need her alive temporarily, to fulfill some agenda? Interesting. Another fun Stan Lee cameo, too! Surprised he didn't ask for the comics section.

Top Bottom