• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sherlock Holmes Saves Christmas: A Xmas Mini-Edit from TM2YC

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Faneditor Name:
TM2YC
Original Movie Title: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Genre: Adventure / Historical / Mystery
Fanedit Type: FanFix
Original Release Date: 1984
Original Running Time: 52
Fanedit Release Date: December 2014
Fanedit Running Time: 47
Time Cut: 5

Brief Synopsis:
It's Christmas, so I fancied doing a seasonal edit and what better than a Victorian Christmas with Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson!
Intention:
I wanted to make this excellent episode of 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' a little more "Chrismassy", focus a bit more on Holmes and to remake the prologue to remove the spoilers and add a lovely Christmas-Carol.

Release Information: 960x720 MP4 (Streaming Only)

Editing Details:
- Cut-up, rearranged and rescored the opening prologue. One flaw of this great TV show is that the intro often gave away too much of the mystery. So hopefully I've toned that down a bit while adding a lovely rendition of 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing'.
- Removed any scenes not involving Holmes or John Horner.
- Removed the scene where Holmes briefly decides to keep the Jewel.

http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/compone...s/fanfix/1113-sherlock-holmes-saves-christmas

Full Edit:

Have a Merry Christmas, Hanukkah and Winter Solstice everyone at FE.org! :)

Fun! The guy in jail either wasn't clear or I zoned out because that part was either boring or I couldn't understand their crazy moon language. But I did really like it over all. Did they not go and interview the dude at the jail in the original?

Ken Poirier said:
Did they not go and interview the dude at the jail in the original?

Who, Sherlock and Watson? No they never meet him.

Glad you liked it :)

What a great present to us all! Thanks, TM2YC! Now I know what I am watching tonight :)

Thanks for taking the time to write a review yoshif8tures...

This was a delightful edit and seemingly very simple. I'm unfamiliar with the source and not seen this Sherlock and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't notice any cuts whatsoever and the story was very good and heartwarming. My only niggle would be with the strange moonlike couple. The man who was arrested and his wifes communication at the jail cell, that was very strange and there was no context and a lack of depth, whereas the other characters had flashbacks or something like that. This may be an issue with the source though, but I'm not sure, but a good edit nonetheless!

It's a while since I've read this adventure but I think (Like almost all Holmes stories) we just get it from Watson's perspective. In the book we never see John Horner, he's just the unseen lucky man who benefits from Holmes chance involvement in the caper through a lost and battered old hat. I briefly considered removing Horner from the edit because Watson recounts all the important details from his newspaper but it would have lost a lot of the Chrismass-i-ness that I wanted to highlight.

You've given me an idea... A "Book Cut" fanedit series of this TV Show would be good, especially as they filmed most of the stories. The prologues from the show often spoil the mysteries by showing us information that Holmes isn't yet aware of. We the audience should always never feel one-step-ahead of Holmes IMO. This adventure is by no means the worst in that respect. Maybe my favourite Holmes mystery is 'The Problem of Thor Bridge' which is totally ruined in the TV prologue.

This show is fairly faithful to the source already but it'd be nice to bring it that little bit closer. One could maybe present the episodes in chronological (If such a thing has been determined), or book order.

btw, what does "moonlike" mean?

Thanks for responding to my review. If you do an edit of the series, I'd enjoy watching them and also see a Sherlock serial that I wouldn't otherwise see, so a book cut sounds great.
By moonlike, when it shows the distressed couple, their whole face more or less fills the whole screen and it was very odd, though this was hardly your fault. I look forward to future cuts!

I came back to watch this but it seems the edit has been removed and is no longer available. @TM2YC any plans to re-release this? Tis the season...

Back
Top Bottom