• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Working with H265 @ 4K and 8K

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does ay one know of an NLE that can decode and encode H265 at 4K and 8K resolutions, hopefully something that does not cost zillions
Any help appreciated

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's bee a week since I posted the question;
I am bumping the thread on the hope that someone would give me some kind of answer

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't get why there would be a reasonably priced NLE that can handle a format that isn't available yet.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe h.265 is available, it's just no one is really supporting it. Most people who deal with 4k & 8K use VP9.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who is dealing with 4k and 8k, other than professionals? Where would you get the source material to work with?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Who is dealing with 4k and 8k, other than professionals? Where would you get the source material to work with?

That's an excellent point.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like the answer is no. Maybe try to contact someone who put together a 4k or 8k video on youtube, like the Spider Man Parkour guy. Good luck?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unless someone has better info, I will lock this thread. This feels like a piracy discussion waiting to happen.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Unless someone has better info, I will lock this thread. This feels like a piracy discussion waiting to happen.

make_it_so____by_balsavor-d6xwqd1.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread reopened. Any discussion of sources shall be limited to non-commercial sources such as 4k camcorder footage. The staff will be watching this thread closely; any discussion that hints at piracy will quickly be shut down, and infractions will be given. We can't be too careful when it comes to potential piracy.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For others like me, behind the curve, CNet published an article on h265 earlier.

What is HEVC?
High Efficiency Video Coding, H.265, and 4K compression explained

High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265, promises twice the compression possible with Blu-ray’s best video compression methods. But how does it work, and is it enough to get us better-looking 4K content? . . .

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-he...eo-coding-h-265-and-4k-compression-explained/

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great find [MENTION=17386]Vultural[/MENTION] :)

wayne.workman2012

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Resolutions like this quite honestly blow my frekin mind...

I've... for the longest... wanted a professional 1080p camera.... with some stray hopes of getting a consumer 4k camera that Sony makes.

I'm just stunned in amazement that stuff like 8k exists...

8KFulldomeResolutionChart-HALFRES.png

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a cool graphic. I'd never even heard of fulldome before.

I can't imagine how much computer power would be needed, though.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wayne.workman2012 said:
I'm just stunned in amazement that stuff like 8k exists...

It's been around for about 100 years... it's called film :p

lotrjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the poster was saying how amazing it it that digital has finally caught up with film, which it is!

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I can't imagine how much computer power would be needed, though.

To encode H264 @ 4K you will need a modern dual core processor with 8GB fast DDR3 ram
It is going to take a long time but can be done
To encode H265 @ 4K minimum hard hardware required is a new fast Quad Core (six core preferred) CPU and 32 GB fast ram and a fast HDD

Rembo92

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The simplest way to do this is to use avid media composer, and ama link it. Your computer will have to be a beast though especially if its a complex edit.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks [MENTION=32402]Rembo92[/MENTION]
I had a look at Avid, you are right. it needs a beast of a machine, also the price is a bit steep for a casual editor like me:lol:
I am currently exploring Cinelerra HV, the hardware requirements are less. They also have what they call "render farm" this is a quote from the website "Cinelerra render farm software distributes Linux renders via the interface below (and any other command line interface renderer to an unlimited number of machines. Control your own render farm remotely via http -- ftp source files up, download your finished renders!."
I haven't tried this yet, but I have 3 mid range Linux boxes on a local area network, so in theory, it should work;-)
I am doing this project as an experiment and I work on it on and off, (More off than on). I'll try to keep the thread updated with the results as they become available
Thanks again

Top Bottom