• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Best settings for file conversion

mattbrain

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use MacX DVD Ripper to rip my footage and I also have MakeMKV.

What are the best settings to ensure high quality footage when I'm ripping? It's just when I rip as is, the footage comes out blurry. Are there any specific settings I should be using or am I better off just using MakeMKV?

Thanks in advance!

Haven't used MacX Ripper myself but sound like you have compression set too high somewhere... reduce it... will result in larger file sizes but you can't compromise when it comes to quality video.

In any case you should find a way to extract the original video from the source.
Not rip it with added compression.

Does your program have a 'copy' setting in addition or as opposed to 'rip'. If so, try just copying your dvd to your drive, instead of ripping it.

Son of a gun, there *IS* a copy setting! Thanks for pointing that out, dude! :)

Ok, here's my next question....the copy setting works beautifully BUT I also have been using Final Cut and it won't take either MPEG or MKV. Am I better off just getting Adobe Premiere?

Hello mattbrain. The root of the problem that you are running into is due to what is called a Codec.

Video file have two primary components; the container (file type such as .mov, .avi etc...) and the codec, which is the actual translation or encoding of the video file. Your NLE has to be able to understand the codec so that you can view, edit and render it.

The main wall that you're running into is that FCP pretty much forces you to use proprietary Apple codecs in order to readily work with and not have to constantly re-render every time you make a tiny cut. I work with FCP7 so can be of some assistance here, to a lesser degree if you're on FCPX, and eventually I'll be switching to Adobe, likely on a Mac but maybe switching gears to a PC.

Anyhow, back on topic, doing a true copy to your hard drive will not solve your problem. In spite of sound PC advice by TMBTM, as a Mac editor you do need to need to convert the video file into an acceptable codec for FCP.

I've never worked with MacX DVD ripper, but looking at their site you haven't wasted your time, you've merely gone 1/2 way to where you need to go.

Being that you're talking DVD ripper, I assume you are SD, and if that is the case, what you need is one of my all time favorite programs, MPEG Streamclip. This will take the now drm-free copy of your movie that you have on your hard drive, and re-encode it into a file format and codec that FCP will be happy with.

I'm not at my home so I can't give you all the details and will post more tonight, but basically you'll use MPEG Streamclip to encode a video file and audio files which you then import into FCP to work with.

It would be helpful to know if you are FCP 7 or FCP X. I believe you will need to do some tricks if you use X, and if 7 I can give you pretty straight settings guidelines. Also, is the audio 5.1?

L8wrtr said:
In spite of sound PC advice by TMBTM, as a Mac editor you do need to need to convert the video file into an acceptable codec for FCP.

Oh, okay.

mattbrain said:
I use MacX DVD Ripper to rip my footage and I also have MakeMKV.

What are the best settings to ensure high quality footage when I'm ripping? It's just when I rip as is, the footage comes out blurry. Are there any specific settings I should be using or am I better off just using MakeMKV?

Thanks in advance!

MakeMKV does not do any encoding, it simply removes the protection from the source and muxes the original streams into a .mkv container, this is the same as the copy setting on MacX DVD Ripper, but MakeMKV can extract streems from all types of disks including bluray and HDDVD.
I am not a Mac user and I don't know what containers or codecs FCP works with (I suspect it will need a .mov or .m4v container with an mpeg4 codec)
If you use MakeMKV you can also use MKVtoolnix to demux and extract any stream from the container.
you can then encode the original stream with a codec that FCP can work with, I am not familiar with Mac encoders but I know that HandBrake, AviDemux, and Hybrid have a Mac version. you can find them here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/macos-video-tools
(I am assuming that FCP will accept adding separate video and audio streams to work with, if not, you can encode the whole .mkv file to whatever FCP accepts)
If you would like, I can post or PM the encoder settings that I use for 1080p H264, and 1080p AVC - DTS
All the best

L8wrtr said:
Hello mattbrain. The root of the problem that you are running into is due to what is called a Codec.

Video file have two primary components; the container (file type such as .mov, .avi etc...) and the codec, which is the actual translation or encoding of the video file. Your NLE has to be able to understand the codec so that you can view, edit and render it.

The main wall that you're running into is that FCP pretty much forces you to use proprietary Apple codecs in order to readily work with and not have to constantly re-render every time you make a tiny cut. I work with FCP7 so can be of some assistance here, to a lesser degree if you're on FCPX, and eventually I'll be switching to Adobe, likely on a Mac but maybe switching gears to a PC.

Anyhow, back on topic, doing a true copy to your hard drive will not solve your problem. In spite of sound PC advice by TMBTM, as a Mac editor you do need to need to convert the video file into an acceptable codec for FCP.

I've never worked with MacX DVD ripper, but looking at their site you haven't wasted your time, you've merely gone 1/2 way to where you need to go.

Being that you're talking DVD ripper, I assume you are SD, and if that is the case, what you need is one of my all time favorite programs, MPEG Streamclip. This will take the now drm-free copy of your movie that you have on your hard drive, and re-encode it into a file format and codec that FCP will be happy with.

I'm not at my home so I can't give you all the details and will post more tonight, but basically you'll use MPEG Streamclip to encode a video file and audio files which you then import into FCP to work with.

It would be helpful to know if you are FCP 7 or FCP X. I believe you will need to do some tricks if you use X, and if 7 I can give you pretty straight settings guidelines. Also, is the audio 5.1?

Thanks for the advice....also, I'm on FCP X.

I'm having problems posting my full response so I'm testing to see if I have fixed the problem

Hi again mattbrain.

Apologies that I couldn't post anything last night, but I was able to document the details that I needed so I can write this up at work today. Also, knowing that you are FCP X created some questions, but thanks to seciors, I believe we can create a hybrid solution. Once you create your files you may however want to see if he can assist with any specific questions about editing once you have it in FCP X.

First as reference, seciors documented his workflow for going from BD to FCP X. I'm not re-directing you there and calling it a day because his instructions for creating the video file, and getting an AC3 audio to work with are not directly relivent to you, but reading them may help reinforce the concepts at play. But his notes on part of the audio process are great, and from there, once you have video and audio files, I have to assume the workflow is identical for both HD and SD so I'll defer to his guidelines from that point since FCP X and FCP 7 are very different beasts.

A quick review of what you need to do:
1. Re-encode your duplicated file into a container and codec that FCP will work with, and do so in small bit-size chunks so that FCP X won't get bogged down.
2. Exporting 6 audio channels (assuming you are working in 5.1 sound) in the exact matching bite-size chunks.

You'll want to be highly organized in this process, by either using a folder for each 'bite' or by ensuring your name allows you to match them back up, or both.

The reason for these bite-size chunks are related to a 'feature' of FCP X. Now with most NLE programs you would rip one big video container for the full length of the film, and then 6 matching audio files. You import those into FC, line them up in your timeline and begin having fun.

Unfortunately FCP X has this nifty feature where it is constantly rendering your modifications in the background while you are editing. This is super-fantastic if your raw file is say, 10 minutes. The problem is that it re-renders the entire segment, so if your segment is 2 hours, it is churning on the whole damn thing, and within about 10-15 minutes of editing your resources are all tied up and you can't do anything. seciors hints at this in his description, and a buddy of mine who uses FCP X for editing web content runs into this all the time. I suspect that the bloated nature of Apple's Codecs also contribute to this.

To avoid this you'll use the In and Out cutting ability of MPEG Stream Clip to export your video, and then audio in small chunks, roughly 10 minutes or so is probably small enough, though

First off, I suggest creating a series of folders in a structure that makes sense for you to keep track of things, a dedicated 'output' folder is probably enough. The process I am going to describe below will be for one 'chunk' which you can then repeat over and over until you're done (The following instructions assume you are working on NTSC 16:9 a/r DVD.

1. Launch MPEG Streamclip and then go to File->Open and navigate to the folder where you've made your copy of the DVD. In the Video TS folder look for a series of VOB files that are roughly 1 GB in size, typically 4 or 5 of them all in a row, they'll be named something like:
VTS_05_1.VOB
VTS_05_2.VOB
VTS_05_3.VOB and so on.

You'll see a whole bunch of stuff and they're grouped by VTS_0 as a prefix, consider them like chapters. On your DVD they may be _04_ or _03_ but they'll all be about a gig in size. Select the one that is VTS_0X_1.VOB. The program will then ask you "Would you like to open all of the stream together?" Select Open All Files.

2. You'll then get a window that is essentially a media player with a timeline that you can drag the playhead back and forth, play button, etc... and some audio drop downs. Ignore the audio for now. With the playhead at the very beginning (time stamp 0:00:00,00. Press the 'I' key to set the 'in' marker. Then advance the playhead about ten minutes and click the 'o' key to set the 'out' maker. In the lower right of the viewer you'll see those times represented. You may want to write them down on a scratch pad for reference.

This is going to be your first 'bite' or block that you export. You'll export the video file first, and then you'll export the audio without changing the in/out markers. This ensures that your audio files will line up with the video file. This is very important since the files are demuxed and you need them to line up perfectly.

3. From the menu, File-> Show Stream Info. This will open up a small window, keep it open for reference. It will show you all the info about the stream, the codec, the aspect ration, the frame rate, audio information etc... I recommend just moving this window to the side for reference.

4. From file menu, File->Export Quick Time which will bring up the MPEG Streamclip - Movie Exporter dialog box.
- In the Compression drop down, select Apple DVCPRO50 - NTSC (if you're NTSC, select the appropriate PAL option if you're PAL).
- Set Quality to 100%
- Click the Options button, when the window opens, select 16:9 Aspect Ratio and Scan Mode Interlaced and select OK
- Sound: No Sound
- Frame Size: 720 x 480 (DV-NTSC)
- Frame Rate: Probably 23.976, but compare against your Stream Info window that you left open from step 3.
- Interlace Scaling/Reinterlace Chroma/Deinterlace Video. By default the first two are checked, leave them checked and then select Deinterlace Video.
- Field Dominance: Refer back to your Stream Info window from Step 3. Select whichever it specifies.

Leave everything else as is and click 'Make Movie'.
From here standard dialog boxes, determine what folder you want to export into, and the name of the file. I suggest you use a naming system that will help you keep the 'bites' together, so 1_movie_title or something. When you do your audio files, they will all start with 1_Movie_.... and when you do the 2nd chunk, 2_movie title and so-on.

When this is all done, you'll have your first video file saved in a format that Final Cut can read and allow you to edit without problems.

Audio.
Without closing the original video player window, leave the in and out settings where they were.

From here we're borrowing exactly what seciors documented. Copy and pasted from his post:
(2) Once you have opened the file, you will be doing an "Export to Audio" command 4 times. Each time you will need to first select what channel or channels you want to export, and then perform the command. The export will be an AIFF file, which is the uncompressed format that can be imported into FCPX directly, or combined into a quicktime (mov) file first (which is what I do...see a later step!)
(3a) To export the first audio file, select from the Audio Mode drop box the choice that corresponds to the "L/R Channels"
(3b) From the "File" menu, choose Export Audio...
(3c) Confirm the settings are: Format = "AIFF"; Channels = "Stereo"; Sample Rate = 48 Khz
(3d) Click Ok, and save the file. The export will take a few minutes.
(4a) To export the second audio file, select from the Audio Mode drop box the choice that corresponds to the "Center Channel"
(4b) From the "File" menu, choose Export Audio...
(4c) Confirm the settings are: Format = "AIFF"; Channels = "Mono"; Sample Rate = 48 Khz
(4d) Click Ok, and save the file. The export will take a few minutes.
(5a) To export the first audio file, select from the Audio Mode drop box the choice that corresponds to the "LFE Channel"
(5b) From the "File" menu, choose Export Audio...
(5c) Confirm the settings are: Format = "AIFF"; Channels = "Mono"; Sample Rate = 48 Khz
(5d) Click Ok, and save the file. The export will take a few minutes.
(6a) To export the first audio file, select from the Audio Mode drop box the choice that corresponds to the "LS/RS Channels"
(6b) From the "File" menu, choose Export Audio...
(6c) Confirm the settings are: Format = "AIFF"; Channels = "Stereo"; Sample Rate = 48 Khz
(6d) Click Ok, and save the file. The export will take a few minutes.

For each export, I suggest that you name it to identify both which 'bite' it is (1st, 2nd 3rd) and which audio element it is, for instance L/R channels could be "1_movie_Left_Right" and Surround (LS/RS Channels) could be 1_movie_surround and so-on. The key is that you're going to need to know which element of the 5.1 it is, and which video chunk it needs to go with.

Once that is done, adjust the in and out markers for roughly the next 10 minutes. I would suggest that the new 'In' be one or two minutes BEFORE the previous chunk's 'out'. This will give you room to play with in case of any funky audio needs. Repeat the video and audio exporting until you have the entire film exported.

From here, I have to defer to seciors' post for importing them into FCP X and how to make all this craziness work there.

I hope this makes sense, post if you have questions or need something clarified. Again, this is all in theory based what we know about Apple workflows. Once you have a demuxed vid and audio files (standard def or high def) getting them into the editing program and doing the actual editing should be identical processes.

Stay Thirsty.

You only forgot the coffee, L8.

It sounds that way, but honestly once you do it, it's not. I think the key is in wrapping your head about what is actually happening, containers and codecs are a strange concept to if you've not worked with video files before.

Try in small chunks. First just play around with the video portion, just do a 10 minute section to see how it works, that it will import and play in FCP's viewer without needing to render etc.. then take a stab at the audio. The audio, while seeming massive is really easy, it's just repetitive.

More than anything, before you do any real editing, confirm your work flow. Convert files into a codec and container that FCP X will play nice with, discrete audio so that you can do seamless audio editing, then practice the export function as well and create a DVD to play on your dvd player, just to see if the quality is good or not. Trust me, there are few more frustrating, disheartening things than to edit your entire movie and export it only to find that there are quality issues which are rooted in your workflow, and the only solution is to toss the whole damn thing and start over. Editing is the fun part, but you have to make sure all of the parts are created correctly, and that your workflow will yield the proper results.

If you have questions about using mpeg streamclip, please feel free to post here or PM me.

Stay Thirsty

Apologies for bumping this old thread but I just stumbled upon it and thought I would throw in my two cents.

You don't need to create chunks if you turn off background rendering. Background rendering sounds great but I found that you don't need it most of the time. I found it is a heavy resource and a waste of disk space. If there is something you need rendered, you can selectively render by selecting clips and rendering them individually.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12784?locale=en_US
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12716?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

KobaKommander said:
You don't need to create chunks

d83e4874e543f6341cd2b3b6586028c3.jpg

Apologies for bumping an old thread and let me know if it would be better to start a new one. We recently got an Apple TV so I'm trying to convert a bunch of stuff I have in MKV to MP4 so it is playable on the Apple TV. I'm using Handbrake with the default settings (as I really don't understand many of the settings well enough to adjust). But the quality is suffering. Should I be using different settings? A different converter? 

Thanks in advance.

MKV and MP4 are containers, and both usually contain video streams created with the same codec. Try demuxing and remuxing your file. You can do this in MeGUI.

ThrowgnCpr said:
MKV and MP4 are containers, and both usually contain video streams created with the same codec. Try demuxing and remuxing your file. You can do this in MeGUI.

MeGUI appears to be Windows only. Is there a good Mac alternative?

Back
Top Bottom