• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek BUGS - An All New Star Trek OTS Episode

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 7 stars

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Trek BUGS

An All-New Episode Of The Original Star Trek Television Series

On a routine visit to distant colony an unknown weapon attacks the Enterprise. Kirk is forced to battle with hordes of Bugs and Spock is fatally wounded. Can Kirk stop the invasion and at what price?

This is a FanEdit of Star Trek called BUGS which combines the Original ST series with the Classic Starship Troopers Motion Picture.

Film Studio: Paramount
Date Edit was Released: 19 March 2008
Runtime: 40 minutes Approx.

DVD Features: Menu & Scene Selection & Extras

Star Trek Footage

Opening Titles from Series Two
The Man Trap
Shore Leave
Arena
Devil In The Dark
The Changeling
The Cloud Minders
City On The Edge Of Forever
Galileo Seven
Metamorphosis
Friday's Child
A Private Little War
Who Mourns For Adonais?
New End Credits with Season Two Music

Note: I used a few more episodes. Trek-Heads can have some fun spotting the shows.

Starship Troopers Footage

Bug shots

The idea to do this FanEdit came while I was watching a Star Trek episode called ?Arena?. In this episode Kirk fires a mortar and it struck me that it would be quite amusing if it was combined with the incredible rolling explosion from Starship Troopers.

After much thought I felt a complete Star Trek/Starship Troopers FanEdit would be impossible. Persevering, I went so far as to cut Starship Troopers to just the Bugs Shots and was surprised at how few usable ones there were.

The idea would not leave me alone, so I started to cut together some action scenes. They seemed to work, so I constructed a story around them, which I hope is amusing in itself. Also I hope this will be enjoyed for what it is and not taken at all seriously. I have edited with care so as not to reflect negatively upon the Original Classic Star Trek series, Paramount or Paul Verhoeven?s Starship Troopers.

Enjoy!!

Pirate Bay Torrent - Star Trek BUGS DVD Version - Menu, Scene Selection & Extras

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

hehe, define "quickly"
I am downloading for 9h now and am still just at 31.2%.
In the last 7 hours I downloaded 0.3%...

OK, so it took me about three days to download this, and I do think am uploading and/or seeding it for others. Not sure how FlashGet works with seeding, but it does work wonders with downloading. Anyways, about this edit...

I liked how it was done for the most part the Star Trek scenes and the Starship Trooper scenes worked really good together. The overall story was good. My issues where that one, and this was a big one for me, when I viewed this on my TV, I had black bars on both sides of the video. (NOTE: I am not talking about bars on the top and bottom for a Widescreen video) This was more of a full screen video being edited as a Widescreen, and then being converted back to full screen if that makes any since. Also, I noticed that the different episodes (Correct me if I am wrong) seemed to change between the original and the remastered versions. Also, it seemed at some points the audio levels would go up and then down. And a few minor times it "looked like" they where out of sync. It seems, also, that you used the a lot of the same scenes from Starship Troopers over and over. And my last thing was that in the beginning I could tell you where using different episodes because the uniforms would change on the characters.

Over all I would have to give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. If there is a DVD version out there for Torrent, I would download it and add it to my collection.

Now here goes my Star Trek nitpick (Because I am a huge fan, and I care) you had a phaser fire scene, where they said firring torpedoes.

Dunno what the complaining about download speeds is about, this only took a few hours for me. Not the fastest download, but I've had slower for just about the same about of content (40 min video).
Maybe that's because boon and Pauley were seeding for me as well as Nick? Well it was passable speed for me.

I know I don't have enough posts to officially "approve" this fanedit, but I liked it.

There were, though, a few issues. As Pauley79 said, a few of the scenes from Starship Troopers were re-used multiple times and it was obvious. Considering, though, that you only had so much to work with I think this is somewhat excusable.
Another issue was continuity in the color of the surrounding rocks while in the caves. Star Trek was blue, SST was brown. Again, considering what you had to work with this is somewhat excusable.
Aside from that there were a few very minor continuity issues, like Sulu ordering battle-stations after Kirk already had. These were all pretty ignorable.

There were a lot of fairly clever edits, though, which I think make up for the issues.

One last thing, though. The variation in the quality of the shots was pretty noticeable. Not all of the Star Trek scenes were of equal quality, and none of those were at the level of quality of the SST scenes. If possible, adding some film grain or something to the SST scenes would probably make them fit the visual quality of the Star Trek scenes better.

I didn't suffer any of the audio level variations that Pauley noted, but the reasons for this could vary on how we watched it. I used Quicktime with headphones.

Overall the edit was good. I was skeptical that it could be pulled off, but I was pleasantly surprised. I imagine that it took a good amount of time to choose and get all the correct Star Trek scenes together considering many of them come from different episodes. In this regard, the edit is very good. Like I said, overall the edit was good, and worth the download.
If I had to give it a number rating I'd say 3.5/5.

On his piratebay description for the actual torrent, it mentions a dvd version being available here. Did miss something?

This is thanks to pauley79 hereby approved to go up on FE.
However, since it is a short movie, it will not count as total faneditor approvement, which means your next fanedit will have to be approved as well.
Short movies are not listed in true fanedits nor firstlings to not distract from the real movies.

this is the mp4. same as the torrent file.

Thanks Boon!

Hey Nick, haven't heard much from you since your first post.

Is there a DVD coming, and if so could you make it a torrent?

OK Torrent DVD Version on it's way.

Here is the torrent DVD version. Please hang on if you can, I will seed but it might take some time.

Torrent DVD Version at Pirate Bay

Thank you, Nick....

BYW, did you fix the problem I was talking about in my post?

"when I viewed this on my TV, I had black bars on both sides of the video. (NOTE: I am not talking about bars on the top and bottom for a Widescreen video)"

Or was this problem just me?

The black bars do not appear on a Normal 4.3 TV Screen. When viewed with Quicktime or other systems you will get Bars on either side of the window as you do with the originals.

Thanks to all of you at FanEdit.Org for inspiring me.

The torrent DVD version was not working, for some reason, as there is a Rapidshare DVD version on FanEdit.org, I will not be re-posting a Torrent DVD version.

Hi there.

So I thought I'd have a go at doing my first review for this one.

First of all I can hear you asking yourself "Who's this guy to be reviewing my work when he's only done two edits himself?" Well yes, that's correct. I have only done two 'official' edits myself, but they have been quite well received, and are quite popular. I have been a member of the Fanedits community for almost a year now. I have also done quite a lot of Star Trek fanfilm DVDs that are available in the Fanfilms forum, and have recently been described by other site members as one of the main producers of Star Trek fanfilm DVDs on this site. So there's a little about myself just to let you know who I am.

So on to the review.

Story & Editing:
When I first saw this edit come up on the site, as quite a big Trek fan myself, I was quite excited that somebody had actually been brave enough to pair original Trek with a relatively new movie, but remained sceptical at the same time. After downloading the edit and viewing it, I have to say that my excitment was short lived, although not completely crushed.

I found the that the way the story had been edited together to be quite good, the editor has very effectively weaved together elements of the Starship Troopers movie, and many elements from several episodes of original Trek.

Several good scenes of particular note: First of all, two scenes, one at the start of the episode, and one part-way through, both where the Enterprise fires on the planet and destroys the bugs. The scene when the Enterprise contacts the outpost on the planet, and the view screen switches to an external view to show the bugs attacking the outpost. And the scene when the landing party are on Cestus III where Kirk fires a grenade down the bug hole. All very well put together and well done.

On the downside: The editor has obviously trawled through hours of Star Trek episodes to find the correct scenes to use. The way these have been put together make for a lot of continuity errors. Of note: Uhura's uniform suddenly changes from yellow to red in the time it takes to move from the teaser to act 1 after the titles. A multitude of different helm navigators, even changing from one to another during what is supposed to be the same scene, and even Chekov appears at one point and is seen for only about a minute.

On the whole the editing has been done quite well, but sometimes makes for quite a jumpy story line that doesn't seem to make sense in places.

Technical:
Menu: A very good menu, animated and with some good sound effects.

With the composition of the edit itself: It is very easy to see the difference between where original release episodes have been used and remastered episodes. This could easily be solved by either using all remastered footage, or by grading the remastered episode footage to match the original release footage. I also fealt it spoilt it slightly where shots of the Enterprise in orbit had obviously been 'slo-mo'd' for the shot, and appeared very grainy. The same could be said for the footage used from Starship Troopers; a bit of grading could have been done here to match the quality to the Star Trek footage. The footage is also seems quite jerky and unsteady at points, possibly as a result of the encoding process, or maybe where PAL & NTSC footage has been used together (a problem I experienced in my first edit).

Additionally, where parts of Starship Troopers have been used, the music suddenly switches from Star Trek to the movie score, and then back again. It would have been very easy to remove the original score and then lay over a piece of Trek music for those scenes. Also with regard to sound, there are a few scenes where the sound is slightly out of synch with the picture.

On the whole an enjoyable edit, that I would recommend particularly to other Trek fans, and I'm gonna give it 3 out of 5. Although, in my opinion, it would benefit from a second edition to make some improvements.

MERLIN.

P.S. One final point: The actress playing Nurse Chapel; her name is Majel Barrett, not Major Barrett, as-is credited at the end of this edit.

You're big on credentials, aren't you? well merlin, you don't need them to review a movie or fanedit.
reviews are just opinions. And you know what heinrich says about opinions, right?
Anyways, good review.
Lucky you didn't have to wade through a ton of titles before you got to the main event. ; - )

Back
Top Bottom