• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fanfiction?

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was looking through some of your Simpsons fanfics and saw the reviews you were talking about - at least you can tell that she isn't just being picky, she actually reviews the stories as well and generally seems to be very positive.  I tinker with my stories all the time after I pot them - I'm pretty bad for writing a chapter in an almost 'stream of consciousness' kind of way, post it up as soon as I finish, then read over it later and make changes here and there.  

That's another goof thing with posting fanfic on the Yahoo Groups - I treat the initial chapter posts as rough drafts and then when the entire story is finished, I upload a file with the complete final draft.  I feel like they need to be more complete when I post them on fanfiction.net (although the option is there to edit or replace a chapter).

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've ran into a couple of problems via stream of consciousness...had to ultimately abandon two fics because of that, even deleting them, while some I swear I'll get back to one day have been left for dead. 

Even as recently as two days ago, I wasn't satisfied with the title of a fanfic and changed it six hours after uploading it and touched up on the ending a little.

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I usually have a good idea of what I want to get across in a chapter, then just start writing and hope for the best lol there's a lot of moving around of paragraphs etc to get a good flow.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
By that, you mean you've come up with a good description of something, but you feel it may be too early for it in the building process, so you shuffle it about chronologically?

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty much - descriptions, some dialogue - trying to make sure it reads well, that it has s natural flow to it, that  I'm not getting ahead of myself with details etc

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I tend to try and simplify things too...my earlier fanfics felt very heavy and over-detailed, then after my mental episodes I tried to consolidate everything into easier chunks.

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because most of my fan fic writing has been on Yahoo groups, I usually try to keep the word count on my chapters down - go for a sort of serial approach.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What I'm sort of dabbling in now is publishing three page chapters of about 800 or less words, and then, for other groups I'm part of where I upload the same story, combining three of those chapters into one longer chapter. I can't usually ever be bothered writing lengthy eight or seven page chapters daily, so this is my way of coping with that problem.

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer that sort of approach as well for putting things online - it's more manageable from a writing perspective and from the perspective of readers.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've sent went in and amended my current fanfic to include the lengthened chapters after a review came in calling my chapters "too short"

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huh... well if they were written with the intention to build up to the full length chapter, it's probably best to post them as the full length version on a site like fanfiction.net.  Which one is your current fanfic?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was "The Need for Speed"

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently finished a "Cybersix" fanfic called "Love So Alive". Post-series. Cybersix/Lori. Mature.

NeverarGreat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last week my life was consumed by this monstrosity: http://www.hpmor.com/
It's a Harry Potter Fanfic with a word count equivalent to the first five books, exploring how Harry would have adapted to the Wizarding World had he been raised by a scientist. He's essentially Artemis Fowl, at times almost a parody like in this: http://the-toast.net/2014/05/27/ayn-rands-harry-potter-sorcerers-stone/
The author is an AI researcher and member of the 'rationalist community', so it's a fascinating viewpoint. Highly recommended.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fed a transcript of The Room to Botnik to see if it could generate a sequel.  I believe its algorithm may be similar to the one installed in Tommy Wiseau's human-like biomechanical exosuit; it is stylistically similar, I think.

The room: it’s on our hands

johnny descends out of the golden air.
Johnny: i’m johnny and i didn’t shot johnny, i didn’t.
Cut to exterior panning shot of the house.
Lisa ( gibberish ): faces around confuse below cheesecake fight gon drugs.
Denny enters.
Denny: okay babe lisa - you owe me five f***ing money to pay off the earth for johnny.
Johnny knocks on the door to the room.
Johnny: oh hi denny. Lisa also. Cut lisa. Ha don’t.
Lisa ( incomprehensible ]: why cheat like everybody betray anyway slide care ensues behind practice amid position?
Johnny: well maybe you should leave right now.
Lisa exits enthusiastically.
Cut to gratuitous footage of a cable car on a busy street at night.
Flashback of lisa and johnny having sex on the roof of the disney store. Johnny waves at you.
Cut to panning shot of water.
Claudette enters a seat and lisa is sitting to.
Claudette: i got the results of the test back you know. I didn’t at all slide out of drugs.
Lisa ( recording ): you should be fine then.
Lisa drops a little tape player. Cut to later in the shower.
Mark kicks enthusiastically.
Mark: i am really handsome today.
Mark ( holding his zipper ): gon na screw the sugar table women out of my money.
Cut to the fountain by the exploratorium.
Michelle enters wrong.
Mike: yeah i’m denny security here.
Denny materializes behind her.
Susan and completely uninteresting weirdos come out of the san francisco skyline.
Everyone: oh hi!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having been sick for two weeks and with very little sleep because of it, I'm finding this exercise soothing.  Is it unethical to expose a burgeoning AI to this much Wiseau? 

Peter shoves mike and then proceeds to stare below him.
Mike: um well maybe i have something to drink.
Peter: why didn’t you have some? It’s denny tonight.
Denny: i’m a man and lisa is now different. I just feel like i’m living with her.
Steven enters and then exits.
Cut to the alley.
Lisa ( sobbing ): johnny is clearly dead. Is it getting worse?
Flashback to lisa trying to ruin johnny.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a little more.  I can't help myself.

Flashback to lisa trying to ruin johnny.

Lisa ( attacking johnny: ha yeah man god johnny is going to pull the handgun like that.
Cut to lisa with a different terrible dress.
Lisa: ( sighing ): johnny seems to be okay.
Cut to exterior shot of the bathroom.
Johnny retrieves the glass of water and then makes a little sense.
Johnny: i kill me. Denny materializes johnny to the living. I’m what they say: i’m the hell between a b***h and a good situation.
Johnny opens the symbol of the golden air: it’s a little chicken.
Everyone congratulates johnny and then we cut to gratuitous footage of a hilly san francisco street.
Cut to another tracking shot of the painted building scene.
Denny takes drugs and gets backward.
Denny: catch my f***ng voice listening to talk like i got ta establish these guidelines before someone else will record me. Flashback over.

Flashback to that man for about two minutes. Denny takes drugs and gets backward and you look really tired. \

Cut to johnny’s.
Mark kicks over five suitcases and johnny enters the room.
Johnny: what happened to you?  Mark has nothing to do with lisa.
Mark ( attacking ): don’t you think straight!
They fight a lot. Mark kicks behind.
Johnny collapses on the floor.
Johnny: well did you get involved with a pillow fight?
Johnny knocks out stupid b***h with a little finger.
Mark: no!
Mark sighs and gets clobbered.
Johnny: oh right mark is still struggling with this world. I’m the golden baby vs the busy man. I want  your future life of course.
Johnny picks up a friend. Mark.
Flashback to johnny and mark dancing to the famous terrible r&b song of the room.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In today's chapter, the algorithm delivers some faith healing, and a dark turn. 

Cut to later in the woods. Mark is still struggling to see.
Mark: what are you?
Johnny seems concerned.
Johnny: i am not the end. Mark my best friend i come back to get my life. I’m johnny and blood is not going to destroy me.

Mark ( sobbing ): i need to see. I dream about you. I want my best friend. Johnny is clearly dead and blood is everywhere and he’s -
Johnny: what happened to you?
Mark ( holding his mouth ): gon up the hell.
Johnny sits down and then proceeds to help him. We hear johnny doing what makes very little sense. He picks up his zipper and then presents a football to help mark. Xyz johnny.

Mark sighs and takes the football. He would wait till later. Cut to later.
Mark kicks the football in the woods. He has to see!
Johnny: you look great.
Mark ( laughing ): of course tossing the football around will help me to see! You’re him. You’re johnny.  Hey johnny: you’re anything i need. I will discuss this again all the time. You know what i say: what makes mark wrong is that jerk in san francisco: lisa.

Johnny: yeah lisa seems to be responsible for that. What do you think i should do?

Mark: it’s lisa ( holding a gun ): shot lisa and her stupid security.

Johnny seems concerned.

Also, the zipper stuff: I didn't plan/insert any of that.  I have limited agency to decide which word comes next, but in both instances, it's the only one that made any amount of grammatical sense.  Weird, huh?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, was Mark blind before the fight or because of injuries sustained during the brawl?  Wearing pants in the shower and kicking over suitcases may suggest that he lost his vision at some point between the two stories.  What do you all think?

In today's chapter, we get the rematch of the century, improvised counterfeiting, and the true nature of an iconic character revealed at last.

They both down a lot of water and then we cut to another roof shot.
Denny crouches behind someone: it’s a man from that san francisco street.
Denny: ( sarcastically ): everybody look at me now wearing a tux. Are you crazy prick? You shouldn’t

commences play against god amid my fucking dangerous night!
Chris: what are you smoking?!
Denny takes a bite of that man.
Chris is not okay.
Chris: you little prick! I kill you tomorrow!
Denny answers except “wow” is it interesting. Denny turned on a box. There’s a door in to the hell in the

world and somehow this is it.
Chris is very dead and he still thinks the room is the symbol of our problems. Chris goes to find

himself a truth: the room is fine and it will be recut to be a new terrible. It’s the room in a new

situation.
Chris: denny tricky! Denny turned me! ( sobbing ): will help me?
Denny takes a drag and tediously installs a primitive man faces before he finally manages to talk

right.
Denny: i’m about the hell. You have something for my pocket?
Chris: yeah man. I have something for you. Here you go.
Chris is not happy. He picks up a paper and somehow makes a good money. He offers it to him.
Denny takes it and he playfully hides it.
Denny: oh i know better. I need more than you think.
Chris: yeah man like... Maybe i got a sick baby.
Denny takes the baby from the golden deal. Denny materializes it. Everything goes wrong.
Chris is not happy.

Top Bottom