• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lazy Guide to (Everything but) Editing in FCP7

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This will be a quick and dirty guide of the most basic things to get you ready to edit in Final Cut Pro 7 from a BluRay source, and what to do once you're done. (Final Cut X shouldn't be drastically different, nor should starting with a different source.)

Big thanks to user Seciors, who was invaluably helpful in teaching me how to do this.

Step 1) Ripping the BluRay disc
You'll need the appropriate hardware to let your Mac interface with a BluRay disc, of course. The software I used to rip it was MakeMKV, which at the time allowed for a limited period of use for beta testing. It may or may not still be free to use in the future. Even if it isn't free, it's worth it. Site: http://www.makemkv.com/
The application is pretty easy to use. Mount the disc you want to rip, and select it as the source. You'll have the opportunity to select which title you want to rip, as well as which audio and subtitle streams. It doesn't hurt to rip more than you need. Mash 'go,' and you'll eventually end up with a .mkv file of the source.

If MakeMKV isn't a viable option for whatever reason, Pavtube's BluRay Ripper should be fine, though will cost money. It's also pretty easy to figure out.

Step 2) Convert to ProRes.
Now we need to convert the source file into something Final Cut can work with. While there's more than one way to skin a cat, I've used Pavtube's HD Video Converter. http://www.pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/
It's simple. Select your source, being the mkv you just created. For the format, I'd recommend selecting Apple ProRes 422(LT). Any Apple intermediary codec would be fine, but that's a good one to stick to unless something else compels you. If you select 'settings' next to the format, you'll want to put things at the highest quality and bit rate it allows. For size, it's best to leave it at "original," unless you're upscaling or downscaling to match another source. Bitrate should be "high quality," and frame rate for a BluRay source should be 23.976.
On the audio side, for some reason it doesn't allow you a great bit rate. Select the highest bit rate it presents you with. If you prefer, you could use any other utility you have to rip the mkv's audio to something lossless (AIFF) and lay it down in Final Cut alongside your new video source.
Select your destination directory and mash 'go.'

Step 3) Editing
Now you're ready to begin working in Final Cut Pro 7 or Final Cut X. I can't do much to help you here, though it'd be good if you're new to study up on how to use the program. (I may come back and update this post with a few tips and tricks, but it'll be no substitute for independent study and practice to master the editing suite.)

Step 4) Exporting
Exporting the final product can be tricky, and no one seems to be able to give advice properly. So don't listen to them; listen to me!

Your best friend is going to be the "Share" feature. Especially if you've done any effects work on your project, do NOT export a Quicktime master file and then compress it later. Instead, use the Share feature in order to allow the encoder access to the raw pieces of your edit, saving a generational loss.

Before we export, let's open up the Compressor app and set up the settings we'd like to export to.
(I'm using Compressor 3, so hopefully more recent versions operate similarly to this.) In the bottom left window, you'll find presets for Compressor to encode to. You'll probably want to design your own, to specify what you want your end result to be. This can be anything from a BluRay-compatible mkv to a DVD5 to a YouTube video. I'll show you how to setup a BluRay-compatible mkv of rather low quality loss from the source. When Compressor launches, it should present you with a few options. Select "Create BluRay disc." You'll see the main window has two output formats, one BluRay video and one DVD audio. To the left there is a place to drop in a file for it to convert to these formats. Ignore that for now. Drag the H.264 for Blu-ray strip down to the 'Settings' window below, creating a new custom template. Select it, and you can edit it on the right. Configure it to suit your needs, and you can find the meanings of all the settings online. Just make sure to select "Multi-pass" for best quality, and select an appropriate bit rate. The "frame controls" tab is only important if your edit contains footage of differing resolutions or framerates. If so, I'd consult someone to decide what settings are best for you. For what it's worth, here's what I use:
Frame Controls: Off; Output Fields: Same as source; Deinterlace: Fast; (Checkmark next to Adaptive Details); Anti-alias: 0; Details Level: 0; Rate Conversion: Fast.

You should also save the audio preset, configuring it for what is appropriate for you.

So, once your edit is laid out in a Final Cut sequence and is ready to go, navigate to File -> Share. This window will allow you to tap into the Compressor presets you've just created. Click the plus icon to add formats to encode to. Here you can select any of your custom Compressor presets. If you select the BluRay video and audio presets, you can allow Final Cut to encode them in one batch so you won't have to return just to start the encode of the next one. The end result of this step should be a video and audio file that together will form the finished product.

Step 5) Muxing
This step will vary depending on what type of file you want your end product to be. I'll explain how to proceed if you are creating a BluRay-compatible mkv. If not, mux and distribute your edit how you see fit. Compressor has presets for many things, and some may not even need any further work once FCP is finished exporting.

The app I use for mkv muxing is Mkvtoolnix. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16837/mkvtoolnix
It's very easy to figure out. You select your input files, and a destination. It muxes them together for you, creating an mkv file of your finished edit. You can also mux in chapter or subtitle files. (For chapters, create an xml file and attach it under the Global tab -> Chapter File. Hit browse, and you can attach it.

That's a very barebones guide, and the hardest part is totally skipped over! But hopefully this will be of some help to get up and running.

AlanAlbert

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac 3.6.1 Review

1406273240.jpg

Looking for the best and top-ranked HD Video Converter for Mac software? We offer a easy-to-use, expert reviews, powerful feature and cheapest program - Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac, offers users extraordinary HD video experience anytime and anywhere.

p1_clip_image002.jpg

Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac is an outstanding video conversion tool for Mac OS X users. The multimedia software is designed for converting HD videos from HD camcorders or DVs (like Panasonic, Sony, Canon, JVC, Nikon and more), digital video recorders and the non-protected popular HD video formats, including MKV, MP4, VOB, MPG, MOV, AVI, DV, MTS, TS, MXF, FLV, 3GP, 3G2, MP3, FLAC, MKA, OGG, WAV, etc. or DVR files (*.tivo) to other file types for editing in FCP X, FCP 6/7, Aperture 3, DaVinci Resolve Lite(DaVinci Resolve 11), iMovie, FCE, Avid Studio, Adobe Premiere Pro/CC, After Effects CC, Adobe Premiere Elements, Adobe Creative Suite, iPhoto, Kdenlive, Keynote, etc. as well as for playback on popular multimedia devices like Apple devices (including iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, iPad Mini 3/2/1, iPad 4/3/2/1, Apple TV 3/2/1, etc.), Android/Windows 8.1/8 tablets or smartphones, PS4, PS3, 4K TV, VLC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, WD TV HD Player, PSP, BlackBerry, Creative Zen, iriver, Zune, etc.

The quality was almost identical to that of the original file and the whole process took less than 3 minutes for a minute-long video.

Supported OS: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10 , 10.9 Mavericks, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.7 Lion, Snow Leopard 10.6, Leopard 10.5.

Compared with other products, it has the powerful functions as follows:

1. Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac supports various input formats including AVCHD Video, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Quick Time HD Video, WMV HD Video, MPEG2 HD Video, MPEG-4 TS HD Video, MPEG-2 TS HD Video, Audio-Video Interleaved HD Video and etc. Learn more:

pavtube-hd-video-converter-for-mac-input-formats.jpg

The output formats includes MP4, MOV, M4V, AVI, MPG, ASF, RMVB, WMV, 3GP, RM, etc. So you can watch the videos and movies on your portable devices. Learn more:

pavtube-hd-video-converter-for-mac-output-formats.jpg

2. The user-friendly interface can make you use it masterly without the complicated process. In a very short time, you will become an expert on operating the program.

3. Due to the newest technology, its conversion process can save you a lot of time. In addition, you can enjoy the quality as the original one.

4. For better vision effect, the expert users can adjust the setting like bit rate, frame rate, etc. Depending on the function, you can find the most suitable parameters for your videos.

5. How to get the videos as expected? There are also video editing functions available. With the built-in video editor, you can trim and crop the video, add text or image/video watermarks, effects and replace the audio track of your video file. You can preview changes to your videos in real time. There is a video player in the main window - it allows you to view your videos as well.

Moreover, you can cut off the black edges of the video freely.

6. Inserting SRT/ASS/SSA subtitle, load your prepared SRT/ASS/SSA subtitle on the editing interface for better enjoyment.

7. Add the image watermark and text watermark, even the video watermark to make a unique video file for you.

8. Collect the attracting pictures in the video for collection on your PC by means of using the snapshot function.

9. Without complicate steps and superfluous clicks, you can view and find the converted video with just one click.

In terms of quality, speed, and number of features, this converter is better to most converters. I can say that it works well.

Pros:
1. It works well;
2. Good format support;
3. Good conversion profiles.

Cons: None.

Customer Reviews from App Store:

Bradley: convert P2 MXF to MPEG and link clips together
I have been using your software as a rudimentary editing system. I am converting MXF files to MPEG-2 files to send to media outlets. We use Panasonic P2 cameras, and without the editing software, we were unable to push video out. With your product, we have been able to easily convert the files to mpeg, and ship them to our ftp site for the media, then post them to our YouTube site. The ability to link multiple clips together has been a lifesaver. I have told my friends about this product and highly recommended it!

Arnold: Convert HD footage directly from cams
I LOVE YOUR SOFTWARE! I tried many others first and yours was the first I found that actually worked, and it is extremely powerful. I am using videos from an Insignia HD camcorder. The original files were incompatible with my current software and also were far too compressed (MEMORY HOGS) for newer software. The videos are in AVI format with an h.264 codec. I particularly like that I can import directly from my camera SD (saves me steps and time).

Perkinson: Perfect synchronization:
I think the software is great- I tried and sampled many others and none were both straight forward AND accurate- particularly with regard to synchronizing audio with the video.

Lucas: Good conversion speed and quality
The product was recommended to me by a local woman who specializes in Mac computers as I was having problems downloading from my new video camera to my software program. The conversion speed and quality are very good. It was so easy to use. I I can say it was very easy to figure out right away and I really appreciate that.

Learn more at Pavtube official website: http://www.pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/

Read Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac Guides:

Want Windows Version? Please click here to get Pavtube HD Video Converter

Good News: Never miss to get Saving up to $44.1, MXF/MTS/M2TS/MKV/FLV/MOV Converter.etc at Pavtube Bundles Deals, such as: HD Video Converter for Mac($35) + DVD Creator for Mac($35) = $39.9, Save $30.1

HD Video Converter for Mac Key Features:
-Convert 1080p/720p MKV, MOV, MXF, MTS, M2TS, M2T, TS, M4V, MP4, AVI, MPG, VOB, WMV, 3GP, FLV videos for playing, editing, uploading or burning.
-Support ProRes/DNxHD/DVCPRO/AIC and other codecs for NLEs on Mac.
-Convert HD footages from Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, JVC, etc.
-Convert any video and audio for multiple playback devices.

DVD Creator for Mac:
-Create playable DVD disc, DVD folder and DVD ISO from different file types.
-Make DVDs from TiVo, MTS, MOV, WMV, AVI, MPEG, MP4, MKV and more.
-Burn ISO image file and DVD folder/VIDEO_TS to a DVD disc directly.
-Create DVD movies with NTSC or PAL video standard.

Souce:http://mediaconverting.blogspot.com/2014/11/pavtube-hd-video-converter-review.html

Top Bottom