• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

More Harry Potter movies than you bargained for...

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From TVGuide.com news:

Just Like Magic: Next Potter Film Multiplies

Harry Potter fans at the edge of their seats in anticipation of the final film installment are getting two movies instead of one.

Warner Brothers said Wednesday that the series' final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is so long ? tallying 784 pages ? that the filmmakers decided to split it into two pieces. According to the Reporter, instead of compromising the storyline with excisions or making an exceptionally long movie, the flick, to become parts one and two, will be shot back-to-back for releases in November 2010 and May 2011, respectively.

J.K. Rowling's Hallows sold more than 11 million copies in its first 24 hours on bookshelves last fall, so the film version x 2 seems to = excellent profits for Warners, plus extra thrills for filmgoers (especially since teen superstar Daniel Radcliffe's signed on). Are you excited for Harry times two? Or ready for Hogwarts to wrap it up? ? Anna Dimond

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm good with it.

it's not like i read the books... and it just makes 8 movies instead of 7.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really wish they did this to Goblet of Fire. I could be wrong, but I believe it was the longest of the series. Too much good material was cut.

Mind you if OotP got 2 films it might not have sucked so badly.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would watch 15 Harry Potter movies...
I think they should have made 2 movies at least from each book.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with you boon. Although I really dont understand this move. The last book IMHO could have been condensed the best. Goblet, Order and Prince all needed 2 movies, especially Goblet.

so with 15 HP movies, Dan, Emma, & Rupert will be about ...45 ;)

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am cool with this to,can never get enough Harry Potter.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i wonder how the titling will go? part 1 and part 2, or will they come up with their own stupid names. Looks like I do have to go back and fix my cover art for ADM's extended series :)

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I were condensing the final book, I would have actually removed the Deathly Hallows plot line entirely.
The book can works just fine it. It seemed like a pointless detour.

Mind you then you wouldn't be able to call the movie HP and the Deathly Hallows. It'd be Harry Potter and the Dark Horcruxes or something.

I'm more afraid if they have extra time that they'll expand on Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald a la Rowling's comments. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but come on...)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hrm. Now they have the room to stick to the plot like glue!

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DoctorM said:
If I were condensing the final book, I would have actually removed the Deathly Hallows plot line entirely.
The book can works just fine it. It seemed like a pointless detour.

Mind you then you wouldn't be able to call the movie HP and the Deathly Hallows. It'd be Harry Potter and the Dark Horcruxes or something.

Fanedit.org, it's not just for movies anymore! :smile:

I think WB should have been honest in their press release. Something to the effect of...

"HP DH the last book of the series is the bottom of the well so in an effort to milk that cash cow for all it's worth we're going to make 2 moo-vies out of it." That seems more to the point to me.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"HP DH the last book of the series is the bottom of the well so in an effort to milk that cash cow for all it's worth we're going to make 2 moo-vies out of it." That seems more to the point to me.

Lol

I'm more afraid if they have extra time that they'll expand on Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald a la Rowling's comments.

Omg, they've cast John Barrowman as Grindelwald!

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Volume One
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Volume Two

Has Quentin Tarantino signed on to direct? :p

In all seriousness, I think this is a terrible idea. Way to pull a Kill Bill, Warner Brothers. Then again, I'm taking this with a grain of salt, as well: same rumors went around for Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix (which was the longest book in the series). We'll wait and see...

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I understand it, the director of GoF was told he could do it in 2 films, but he chose to do it in one.

This is a Warner announcement picked up by TV Guide. That sounds a little more solid than the rumors of the past.

... Did it have to be David Yates though?
Chris Columbus would have been awesome since the movies haven't been the same since he left.
Peter Jackson would be ideal.
I'd even settle for Michael Bay.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I heard a rumor that either Alfonso Cuaron (Prisoner of Azkaban) or Guillermo Del Torro (Pan's Labyrinth) may be directing.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alfonso Cuaron IMHO made the best film of the series. It would be brilliant if he signed on to direct.

Top Bottom