• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Hobbit: The Desolation of Superfluous Narrative by Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EDIT: Edit x2

This will be available soon! here I have now compiled the cut list. The film is called The Desolation of Superfluous Narrative.

Ok here is the cut/change list in order. 64 minutes have been removed from the EE length of 3:06 mostly from stuff that was in the theatrical version making the length with credits 2:02:

-Gandalf/Thorin introduction in Bree removed - film starts with bilbo peering over a rock.
-Close up shots of Beorn as a bear removed
-All scenes of orcs removed from film except for the chase in the very beginning and orc interrogation.
-Beorn/Gandalf dialogue trimmed
-Bilbo playing with the ring/Gandalf/Galadriel telepathy removed before the company enters the forest.
-Gloin's Gimli namedrop removed
-All evidence of the Tauriel/Kili romance/ Legolas jealousy removed
-Orc interrogation/ auriels departure cut in length and placed before the company escapes
-Tauriel removed from later scenes inside the elf castle looking for the company for plot consistency
-Barrel scene cut/rearranged to the essentials - no orcs or elves appear in the escape. short and sweet and fun
-Dwarves go from meeting bard directly into being smuggled/gandalf scenes moved to later
-Legolas/Tauriel reunion chopped to essentials followed by Gandalf going to the tombs.
-Gandalf/Radagast convo cut short - going back to Laketown/Bard's epiphany about Thorin
-Laketown scenes cut to eliminate the fact that the dwarves were left there
-Song and dance spectacular added
-All of Gandalfs Dol Guldur scenes put together one place and chopped to make it better/orcs gone esxcept the army marching out
-Encounter with Sauron cut to make it less obvious that it's actually Sauron
-Dwarves giving up so dramatically edited to make it not seem so silly.
-Bilbo enters the mountan and is uninterrupted except for the scene with Bard and his son hiding the black arrow
-The Master knocking out bard cut
-The rest of the Dwarves never enter the mountain - the entire action extravaganza finaly is removed it's just bilbo and smaug.
-Smaug busting out of the cave cut because, well, he's covered in gold and that never happened her
-Vocal intro to "I See Fire" cut.
-Various othe short bits of lines trimmed for flow/consistency/necessity

new cuts:

-High fells are gone and all mention ofthem is gone from beorns convo
-Beorn talking about being inslaved by azog is taken out
-Bilbo flicking the spider web removed
-Bilbo losing the ring in mirkwood removed, he still kills the weird crab
-Tauriel entrance trimmed slightly to remove hints of interest between her and kili
-Cut invisible Bilbo clip when he is sneaking into the elf kingdom behind the party
-Cut Thorin line "not our only hope"
-The random laketown flight when they first get there is 1/2 removed. this is the scene im least sure of in my edit. I'm goingto leave it in and see how it works.
-Trimmed some lines and clips from Dol Guldur
-Removed Thrains whilhelm death scream and replaced it to a different more appropriate place in the film.

PREVIEW: barrel riders
pw fanedit1

-original post-
The title, is subjest to change and is something of a joke at this point, but the idea for the fanedit will be to get rid of all the baloney in The Desolation of Smaug, all the gold dragon nonsense, all the unnecessary emotional and story tie ins to lord of the rings, and the orc bullshit I can, and just make it an awesome movie overall. I will make this fit with my previous fanedit as much as possible "The Expected cut of an Unexpected Journey", which got pretty good reviews. This cut basically has the same goals as that one did. I have yet to view the extended cut of this movie, and only saw the theatrical cut twice a long time ago. The EE comes out here tomorrow and I'll pick it up then. I'm hoping to have it finished in a couple weeks. I'll keep this thread active about any changes

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK so after viewing the EE version I'm confident about what this fan edit is going to look like. I will be cutting ALL of the action in this film except some in dol guldur, I will be cutting 90% of the orcs except dol guldur, Gandalf and thorin in bree will be cut (I like this scene but it weighs down the beginning of the film considerably, actually it belongs more in unexpected journey than here), I will try to eliminate the whole Beorn chasing the hobbits into the house sequence. There will still be a barrel ride, but the action will be cut from it. all of the romance between the elf and the dwarf will be cut.

the movie is going to be trimmed up, with a quicker paced flow of events. one problem with this film im noticing is that its a much less light hearted affair than unexpected journey. if all the action sequences are eliminated which i intend to do, there won't be much levity to rive the film, i'll combat this somehow through editing.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK fresh off of your love affair with Rangers great (i'm sure, however i have not seen it) edit Fire of the Dragon I have finished my version of the extended version of Desolation of Smaug. I changed the name slightly, it is now The Desolation of Superfluous Narrative, and it is awesome. I will write up a change list shortly. I found this film easier to edit than an unexpected journey, but there were several hard choices to make. I made them. definitively. No regrets. soon. soon you will see.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
another thing I want to mention: I tried to bring in a little more of the fun of the previous film. I was happily surprised that through the magic of editing it kinda worked. Some characters are much different now, especially Legolas, who now comes off as a sneering strange elf who is just disgusted with dwarves.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks good man, very eager to check this out! :)

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great news Lord E
Can't wait to watch it
Let us know when it is up
Cheers

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins said:
Legolas, who now comes off as a sneering strange elf who is just disgusted with dwarves.

Sounds good, this as it should have been. Legolas should have a dislike for Dwarves right up to the point be comes best friends with Gimli in FOTR.

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm guessing I'm right up there with the biggest Tolkien geek in the Fanedit.org community, so I look forward to an excuse for another watch! Cuts sound good, in the same spirit as the Rangerkris edit, but working with some additional material.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hasmak said:
Great news Sir Lord E
Let us know when it is up
Can't wait to watch it

Haiku fixed.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After consideration with a friend of mine here I've decided to wait a few more days to release to explore taking out the High Fells scene. I originally kept it in because of the reference to the place in the Expected Cut which I failed to remove. I also think it's kind of a cool set piece, but the more I think about it the more I think it's detrimental. It's not canon and even though this isn't really a strict book cut, adding this scene is not really necessary and gives the ring wraiths flesh and bones, when they are clearly not merely physical beings.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok! so i made a few more last minute changes that trimmed a few more minutes from the film orginal post updated with new cuts:

-High fells are gone and all mention of them is gone from beorns convo
-Beorn talking about being enslaved by azog is taken out
-Bilbo flicking the spider web removed
-Bilbo losing the ring in mirkwood removed, he still kills the weird crab
-Tauriel entrance trimmed slightly to remove hints of interest between her and kili
-Cut invisible Bilbo clip when he is sneaking into the elf kingdom behind the party
-Cut Thorin line "not our only hope"
-The random laketown flight when they first get there is 1/2 removed. this is the scene im least sure of in my edit. I'm goingto leave it in and see how it works.
-Trimmed some lines and clips from Dol Guldur
-Removed Thrains whilhelm death scream and replaced it to a different more appropriate place in the film.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very interesting
Can't wait to see the finished cut
Cheers

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was pretty good. Only 2 things stood out for me.

1) At 32 seconds, dramatic music starts and gives us a sense of urgency without a reason. It's been a little while since I've seen the original, but it feels like you cut out something there and the now the music swells unnaturally.
2) Around 1:03 we see a shot of guards running on a bridge, presumably to catch them. Then nothing happens and they get away clean.

Other than that, good work.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cool thanks!

I think in context of the prior bits the running guards isn't really a problem, they are found to be missing, but aren't discovered where they went to.

The music definitely does a strange dramatic twist there, I don't remember what was cut,maybe Tauriel running around looking for them. I left the dramatic music in because, he does kinda get left there alone not sure of what to do/guards are waking up etc.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is another problem developing here.
Killi gets shot in the leg during the chase, when they com out of the water he is apparently injured and pain, will you cut that out?

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
he will be injured, but contextually it is because of the violence of barrel ride. he winces once from it in laketown, and is then the reason who he falls down the stairs.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks good man. Agree with neglifys points and hasmaks narrative points, tho your description of it makes sense I think, tho it's a pretty serious injury from the barrel ride..

Top Bottom