• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BBC to Air Rescored Version of Drive

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You beat me to it ;-). Saw this up on BBCiPlayer an hour ago...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04p5k25/drive-radio-1-rescores

Will have to watch soon. Refn must have provided them with a music-free transfer of Drive. Oh what we could do with that here :-D.

Nice that Auntie-Beeb is getting into fanediting. It's also cool that Refn is open to reworkings of his work. The next step is a Director releasing music-free copies of their films and actually asking people to have fun rescoring it. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

Will have to preserve this.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm curious about this one. I thought the music for Drive was absolutely perfect and I've been trying to find a film that I could "drive-tize" myself. I hope we'll get to see it in the states.

hillbilly74

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You guys got here before me :)

Found this by chance last night flicking through the channels.

I am not sure how i feel about this yet as i intend to watch (and PVR) tonight. To Me the Cliff Martinez soundtrack is a highlight but as TM2YC said kudos go to the director for allowing this. I love the idea of being able to create your own playlist for a film.
Was'nt someone on here doing a reversal and putting the Cliff Martinez soundtrack on Scorseses' Taxi?

hillbilly74

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN DRIVE

I am not an expert on the film Drive. I have only seen it once before tonight. I liked the film and soundtrack is great. I found out last night that the BBC here in the UK were doing a rescore of the film and i was intrigued . How would it work? I understand rescoring a bad film but surely not Drive which already has a top notch OST.
I also noted the rescore ran 7 minutes shorter and there is some slight reordering of scenes.
Here i try to do a summary with music choices that are of my opinion. I'll mark Rescore if i preferred it to the original and Original if i did not. Your choices may differ:

opening scene Rescore
Title sequence / Original - I like the Chvrches song in the rescore but the original Night Call works better.
Supermarket /Original
Conversation Irenes Flat /Original
Garage - Need Lift Home / No Music in original, so prefer the rescore
Ride Home / Either track works - Medicine by 1975 is a great song at fits perfectly well, very Galaxie 500 sounding. I could go either way Under your Spell in the original is also cool
Husband Lawyer turns up to babysit / Rescore
Standard released from Prison party /Original
Finding Standard bleeding / Rescore The SBTKRKT tune is more tense in the rescore..i prefer it.
Driver & Irene chat at Diner / original had No Music so I prefer the rescore
Robbery / original had No Music so I prefer the Rescore
Getaway car Chase / I prefer No Music like in the original, the awful "Bring me the Horizon" song is just shite.
Phone Call to Boy -News report/ Rescore
Removing shotgun pellets / original had no music and I prefer rescore
Where's Cook? Hammer time @ stripclub / Original -to be honest both tracks sound good to me but i'll stick with the original as it has the foghorn sound when Driver attacks.
He asked me for help conversation in hallway & slap/ No Music in original so I prefer the rescore, this scene is really good - lovely music by Jon Hopkins (i think)
In The Lift - Kiss / Either- Both tracks worked...but i'll stick with the original
Turning around in lift and subsequent driving scene / Rescore
Trailer Mask / Original
Following -putting on Mask- Looking through window@ Nino / Rescore When i knew Bastille were doing a track for this rescore..I just thought No No No...but somehow the tune "THE DRIVER" is really good and more importantly it works. I never liked the original Riziero & Rina song, it didnt fit the style of the movie
Crash into Nino & Beach death / Rescore This really works too. A big organ sound - i think the track is by "Pryda - Sequence one"
Phone call to Bernie & Irene and subsequent meeting at restaurant with Bernie / No Music in original so the rescore wins This track really works too. The song by "ZZC - To the Bone" is a gem
Bleeding in Car - The End / Either track works - I think the 1975 track is repeated here . The original is "Real Hero" I think i'll go with 1975

So there you go, i'd say it was half and half, some tracks on the rescore really worked. If i had the editing skills i'd make an edit of the film using a mixture of both..The problem is you'd have to some how cut out the BBC HD logo...unless you started from scratch.

On a different note and to make the film 10 out of 10 instead of a 9,I also remembered how I disliked the way the Driver got stabbed. Id prefer we didn't see this and just cut to the shadow killing Bernie, then cut to Bernie on the ground with the cash. Its looks like the Driver intending to kill him in the first place. It baffles me why Bernie didn't have back up, did he feel he didnt need it. After all his cronies got a bashing...that should have been a warning there :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hillbilly74 said:
The problem is you'd have to some how cut out the BBC HD logo

As it's a scope-ratio film the BBC3HD logo only encroaches on the image by a few pixels at the top. You'd still have to crop it out but by a very small amount. However the "Red-Button" stream is ident free but streamed at half the bitrate of the BBC3 stream. The two could be combined, or the image rebuilt from scratch as you say.

It seems to be shorter than the standard cut of Drive. Which maybe due to the edits you mentioned, or it could be PAL speed :x.

I might look into this situation over the weekend.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
well apparently its not availible in my area to stream online

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
well apparently its not availible in my area to stream online

If it's a UK only thing then it does need a preservation.

The red Button stream is indeed 25fps and at 544-576. I'll needed to do some audio/visual comparisons to work out if it's sped up or what. If it is at PAL speed there's no turning it back as that would slow down the music... then again the alternate original soundtrack must be sped up. Hmmmm.

FYI: The new version is 1 hour 33 minutes and 35 seconds (The original is 1 hour 40 minutes and 31 seconds). Even at PAL speed it's still shorter by 3 minutes.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It has been sped up to 25fps (I've just done a direct comparison between a scene from the new version and the same scene from the Blu-Ray converted to PAL speed) but the audio has been pitch-corrected as it doesn't sound any different to my ears at least.

Maybe converting the whole Drive BR to 25fps and cutting to match the BBC version would be the best way to enjoy this. I'll have a look at the quality of the HD stream next.

wayne.workman2012

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The next step is a Director releasing music-free copies of their films and actually asking people to have fun rescoring it. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

If I ever direct anything that gets on air, I'll put it in the credits (as written permission) that FanEdit.org members may manipulate my work. Standard FE rules still apply lol.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
FYI: The new version is 1 hour 33 minutes and 35 seconds (The original is 1 hour 40 minutes and 31 seconds). Even at PAL speed it's still shorter by 3 minutes.

It's TV. They'll probably cut off or speed up the closing credits.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
ok not sure why you re-posted my comment, but ok.

It's called "Replying With Quote" and it's very common.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
TM2YC said:

It's TV. They'll probably cut off or speed up the closing credits.

Good call! I checked and it's about 4 mins of credits on the BR and 1 min on the BBC broadcast. Mystery solved by Professor Dwight :).

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
im well aware of what its called folks, it just wasnt realy a reply to what i said is all. no big deal, just didnt make sense.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It absolutely made sense, you just didn't understand it.

Top Bottom