• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Darkplace: Tales From The Hellmouth (TV-to-Movie)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking about possible Halloween edits and suddenly I remembered one that I've actually wanted to do for quite while... A TV-to-Movie edit of Cult 1980s Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action series 'Garth Marengi's Darkplace'. I call it...

- Removed all TV-breaks
- Removed as much episode intro/outro material as possible (Plot allowing)
- Removed on-screen credits where needed
- Added a few new SoundFX
- Removed all making-of and interview material. The story now plays out uninterrupted
- Some scenes cut to make better transitions between the original 6-episodes
- Included preview for the sequel ;-)

This edit is presented in glorious 4:3 standard-definition and will (For now at least) be a streaming only edit specially released on Halloween, October 31st 2014. If you have the nerve for it, then dare to watch what it's creator describes as "A future shock that'll sh*t you up!". Warning, contains scenes of Bloody-Gore, Telekinetically-Controlled-Stationary, Scottish-Phantasms, Mutated-Eye-Children, Ape-A-Loid Invaders and Cosmic-Broccoli.

Original Length: 144 Minutes
Fanedit Length: 97 Minutes
Time Added: 3 Minutes
Time Cut: 50 Minutes

When the stream is live, I'll post it here tomorrow :).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome! I love "Darkplace" and can't wait to check it out. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well as (Bad)luck would have it my internet connection has gone-down/gone-mental since early in the morning, so this edit still isn't uploaded. I'm having one more go and then maybe I'll have to save it for Halloween 2015 ;-). How f**kin' depressing after working so hard to get it ready these last few days :(.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hell of a poster, TM2YC. HELL of a poster!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sitting down to a double bill of Alien & Aliens at the cinema so Halloween isn't a total bust :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since my internet troubes caused this to miss the Halloween window I'm putting it back in-the-works.

I planned to do more work on this prior to an "Official" IFDB DVD release but now I'll hold off on any kind of release 'til that's done. The basic edit itself is 100% done but I've got lots of other ideas for trailers, adverts, titlecards, intermissions etc plus trying out some film-degredation FX.

This sort of thing...

...and I'm looking into seeing if an audience-reaction-free version of the trailer for Garth Marengi's notorious Horror movie 'Bitch Killer' is possible.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, first preview clip time!

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Added FE.org and TM2YC titles
- Added grain, film damage VisFX and SoundFX throughout.
- Added vintage "Coming Soon" title
- Added trailer for other "Garth Marengi/Dean Learner" horror film 'Bitch Killer'. I've conveted it to 4:3 and rebuilt much of the music soundtrack and SoundFX to remove the audience-laughter-track that was present on the original trailer.
- Added a few extra SoundFX to the trailer and main edit sections.
- Added classic 'Pearl & Dean' cinema intro. All films had this when I was a kid so it felt right to me.
- Added vintage "British X-Certificate" card
- Removed all making-of-interview moments from the original braodcast of 'Darkplace'
- Moved the first few scenes/credits about
- Added "Tales from the Hellmouth" subtitle to original "Darkplace titlecard. Hopefully it is seemless

I'm open to any and all suggestions on this one concerning trailers, clips, titlecards and stuff like that. I've already got a spoof-vintage-advert from another comedy show in mind for an intermission.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks amazing but the whole montage thing just seems more like an episode of a TV show than a movie. If you could do different opening titles then I think it would look and feel more like a movie

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JJE-187 said:
Looks amazing but the whole montage thing just seems more like an episode of a TV show than a movie. If you could do different opening titles then I think it would look and feel more like a movie

I know, that thought occured to me too. But I love those cheesy titles and am reluctant to change them. It's never going to feel fully like a movie as it's shot on cheap looking TV sets. I'm aiming for a "What if Garth/Dean had edited the 6 episodes together for an abortive theatrical run after the TV show got cancelled" vibe :lol:. I'll think on the titles suggestion but I'd need to come up with something at least as funny as the existing ones.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree they are great :D They just look out of place in a movie edit. But I still think it looks like a great edit

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JJE-187 said:
They just look out of place in a movie edit

I might have a browse through the credits-sequences of my Hammer-Horror boxset to see if any inspiration hits me.

Can anybody do a passible Vincent-Price voice? Or more specifically the voice of "a low-rent actor that has been hired because they sound a bit like Vincent-Price" :p. I've got an idea for a funny addition/refrence that I'll keep secret for now.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started tinkering with this one again :).

After a few weeks of thinking, I've realised I was getting a bit carried away with this grindhouse-movie idea, when all I wanted was a handy way to watch Darkplace without all the interviews (Which I had working ages ago). I'm still going to be adding film damage FX, trailers and an intermission but I'm not going to obsess over making it movie-like right down to the last detail. So I won't be doing things like removing the awesome but obviously TV-like original-title-sequence.

I've added a trailer for 'Pising in the driving seat' to the start...

(Password: fanedit.org)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Think I've got this almost ready now :). I've finally got the intro-trailers, intermission, custom "Darkplace Break" and post credits preview working well.

16357292957_5cc63c776a_o.jpg

I'll render tonight, have a watch tomorrow and hopefully have a DVD/MP4 ready by next weekend.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rendering DVD now :). Took a while to get the animated DVD menu how I wanted it, with a looped up render of Darkplace Hospital leeching evil energy from the Hellmouth (Ghostbusters style) and a nice loop of an 80s Synth piece from the score.

I might just do a DVD only for this one? Or would anybody prefer an MP4? Cover art is in the works btw.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't mind an MP4 if it's not too much trouble. I sometimes have problems getting DVD5's to work right

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd go for an MP4 as well, though tbh if it were Dvd-only i'd just grab the ISO and rip it anyway :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ & ^^, MP4 rendering now :) and DVD artwork finished...

darkplace_tales_3DView.jpg

...and this time I've got the animated DVD menu to match the cover ;-).

Top Bottom