• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Godzilla Path of Destruction A MikeDrew87 Fanedit

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello There,

Just wanted to post this edit I just finished up. I took a break from my Return of the Living Dead edits and did a edit of the new Godzilla movie. A friend of mine wanted me to take a stab at it and I gladly accepted. He wanted a better paced movie with mostly action but keeping the plot intact. I honestly didn't like this movie too much so trying to make it better is always something fun to do. I approached this edit with cuts already in my head before I started, dialogue and scenes that weren't satisfying were cut. Here is the cut/changes list:
Newer Intro
Deleted the lame intro from the original movie
Opening scene is helicopter arriving at mine
Removed "Philippines 1999" (cause after 15 years the two scientist look exactly the same and appear to wear the same clothes.
Cut Ford as a young kid at home with parents
Cut out entire power plant scene
Cut out Ford in school
No more 15 years later (this edit is all present time)
Ford does not see is family
New Title Credits "Godzilla Path of Destruction"
Cuts into Japan where ford picks up his dad at police station
Cut Serizawa being in the control center when power goes off
Cut Fords family watching earthquake in japan on tv
Cut Ford during the briefing of Godzilla by Serizawa
Instead Ford is heading to Hawaii
Cut Fords kid seeing Godzilla on tv
Again they don't exist as his family
Cut Ford calling his wife before he gets on the train
Now he just says "I need to get on that train"
Cut Fords wife putting their kid on the bus
Instead it cuts to Oakland and Ford is seeking medical attention
I did keep the bus scene on the bridge intact (his son is now just a random child on a school bus)
Kept a few scenes of Fords wife seeing destruction of buildings (in this edit she is just some random person that gets a few shots of seeing Godzilla and jet crashes)
Completely removed Ford in stadium (so no kid or wife)
After Godzilla awakens it cuts to the stadium and the jumbo screen
Movie ends after Godzilla roars
Goes to simple custom credits
Added the song "Godzilla" by blue oyster cult after original score ends. (sorry I had to)

That pretty much wraps it up. My friend came up with the name Path of Destruction so I kept it in there. Hope you guys enjoy it and hopefully soon I'll have the Return of the Living Dead parts 1 and 2 done for ya.
Thanks again,
Mike

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi [MENTION=26847]mikedrew87[/MENTION] hope all is well. I just released an edit of Godzilla called Godzilla Rises which has pretty much the same cutlist. The only difference is I cut the train scene as well. Here's a link to the in-the-works page:
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?13004-Godzilla-Rises-by-ranger613

And the actual edit is in the News page, released 5 days ago. I'm sorry that the timing was so close, but it is essentially the same edit which I just happened to release first. I'm not sure how you want to approach this as I don't think there's any practical benefit to having two of the same edits out at the same time..

Kris

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
I'm sorry that the timing was so close, but it is essentially the same edit which I just happened to release first. I'm not sure how you want to approach this as I don't think there's any practical benefit to having two of the same edits out at the same time..

He said he did it because his friend requested it of him personally. He's sharing it here because he likes to share. From what I've seen, Mike doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that religiously checks Fanedit.org to see what's new and what's in the works. While it does sound pretty similar, I think it's a bit arrogant to say "Oh, I just released a fanedit last week, so you shouldn't share yours." There may not be much benefit to having two similar edits released at the same time, but there's no harm in it.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
He said he did it because his friend requested it of him personally. He's sharing it here because he likes to share. From what I've seen, Mike doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that religiously checks Fanedit.org to see what's new and what's in the works. While it does sound pretty similar, I think it's a bit arrogant to say "Oh, I just released a fanedit last week, so you shouldn't share yours." There may not be much benefit to having two similar edits released at the same time, but there's no harm in it.

I'm sorry, I'm not attacking Mike or trying to be arrogant, just pointing out that I released the same edit this week. Also, I did not ask him not to share, but said there was no benefit to having two of the same edits out. I think this is a fair statement when the cutlist is so close, and in such a situation consider revising the cutlist etc. As you know I had a 'falling down' edit uploaded and almost submitted until you pointed out [MENTION=6765]Adabisi[/MENTION]'s Under Construction edit (which I, like Mike here, did not see because of the different title). I did not release mine because it was very similar.

Anyway, I'm very sorry if I came across as abrasive or rude [MENTION=26847]mikedrew87[/MENTION]. I was only suggesting a different cutlist at the time, but that was out of line. I had nothing to do with the making of the theatrical movie, and like you, just make these edits for fun. I'm not an arrogant person, and did not mean to come across as such. It was not my place to comment on other people's edits and I'll not do so again. I'm also sorry to Neglify and the other admins on here for coming across as arrogant. I'm really not, and will not make comments like this in the future. I had no business commenting on Mike's edit, and am deeply sorry I did.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
As you know I had a 'falling down' edit uploaded and almost submitted until you pointed out Adabisi's Under Construction edit (which I, like Mike here, did not see because of the different title). I did not release mine because it was very similar.

LOL I totally forgot about that. Well, I'm a dick so there you go. I guess I just felt your post rubbed me wrong. Anyway I'll shut up now.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
LOL I totally forgot about that. Well, I'm a dick so there you go. I guess I just felt your post rubbed me wrong. Anyway I'll shut up now.
No dude you were right, both times. There's no harm in releasing the same edit. I shouldn't have said anything to start with, and am just sorry I did.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's cool, don't trip too much over it. Let's get back on topic.

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello,
Thought I should step in and say a few things. I just got done downloading Ranger613's fan edit of Godzilla, which I'm excited to check out. But I would have to say the timing is pretty close together and some of the cut list looks the same but maybe cause it's obvious with the flaws in the theatrical version. But I can point out several differences in the cut list of the two movies and minutes to seconds can completely change a movies plot. There's no more 15 years later, Ford doesn't go home to see is family. Ford doesn't stay for the briefing with Serizawa and others. Fords dad is on the helicopter and dies, also in the body bag on the naval ship. Ford goes to Hawaii and most of those scenes of him there are intact. Kept the whole train sequence. Ford is never in the stadium, last we see him, he's being air lifted off the boat. There's quite a bit of changes there from Ranger613's edit. And like I said before changes that last seconds to minutes can make a completely different movie. So hopefully you'll give this a shot as I will give yours. Which I'm very anxious to watch it. Thanks for your time,
Mike

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mikedrew87 said:
Hello,
Thought I should step in and say a few things. I just got done downloading Ranger613's fan edit of Godzilla, which I'm excited to check out. But I would have to say the timing is pretty close together and some of the cut list looks the same but maybe cause it's obvious with the flaws in the theatrical version. But I can point out several differences in the cut list of the two movies and minutes to seconds can completely change a movies plot. There's no more 15 years later, Ford doesn't go home to see is family. Ford doesn't stay for the briefing with Serizawa and others. Fords dad is on the helicopter and dies, also in the body bag on the naval ship. Ford goes to Hawaii and most of those scenes of him there are intact. Kept the whole train sequence. Ford is never in the stadium, last we see him, he's being air lifted off the boat. There's quite a bit of changes there from Ranger613's edit. And like I said before changes that last seconds to minutes can make a completely different movie. So hopefully you'll give this a shot as I will give yours. Which I'm very anxious to watch it. Thanks for your time,
Mike
Hi Mike definitely. Will look out for your edit to watch and review for sure. Hope you like my version, leave a review too. In the end I think both versions will be improvements on the theatrical. Cheers man, Kris

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I say release both and ...

let-them-fight.jpg

;-)

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ranger613 - I was also going to mention that an edit of Godzilla just came out - just because it did sound quite similar and I thought he should know. I watched two similar edits of the first hobbit (Arkenstone and Menbailee versions), but I'm a Tolkien nut so the little nuances made a difference to me. I didn't think there would be many people into the delicacies of this movie, but maybe I'm wrong.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kellenpure said:
I watched two similar edits of the first hobbit (Arkenstone and Menbailee versions)

I thought those two Hobbit edits could hardly have been more different, for what it's worth (I loved them both). I suspect these two Godzilla edits are infact very different too (It's 5 minutes longer for a start).

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kellenpure said:
Ranger613 - I was also going to mention that an edit of Godzilla just came out - just because it did sound quite similar and I thought he should know. I watched two similar edits of the first hobbit (Arkenstone and Menbailee versions), but I'm a Tolkien nut so the little nuances made a difference to me. I didn't think there would be many people into the delicacies of this movie, but maybe I'm wrong.

TM2YC said:
I thought those two Hobbit edits could hardly have been more different, for what it's worth (I loved them both). I suspect these two Godzilla edits are infact very different too (It's 5 minutes longer for a start).

Hey guys thanks. At first I was concerned it was quite close to my edit and released so soon after, but after speaking to Mike I see that it is thematically different both grossly and in smaller places from my own. Ideally, Mike's edit and mine should be a double disc release for people who didn't like the theatrical cut. ;-)

Mike's edit gives Brody a more prominent role (like in the theatrical cut, he is the hero), which is a good thing as in my version I pared down all the humans to make them as secondary as possible because I wanted there to be no hero. In Mike's version, Brody is the lone hero who goes up against the monster threat (he retains Brody in Hawaii and Brody on the train, both of which I cut), and (quite brilliantly) arguably dies in the end--I wish I thought of that one! This works in his edit because he completely cut out Brody's family--another great move I didn't consider. In my version, Brody has a family but his wife dies in the end leaving the pair staring despondently in a stadium. They're both darker than the theatrical, but I think where the thematic difference lies is that in one version there is hope in the form of Brody who fights to the end to beat the monstets, and in another version there is no hope, despite your best efforts there will be loss and consequences. Mike keeps the human struggle in, while I cut most of it out to focus on monsters (I guess because I was already working on another 'human struggle' edit--Pacific Rim).

So his edit seems to be a great midpoint between the optimistic theatrical cut and my nihilistic version. I think Mike's edit will be great and I'm downloading to watch it too.

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
By "similar" I meant parallel goals - to trim the side stories, scale back the silly arcade scenes, and focus on Bilbo. Both edits accomplished this with a different path, and so have been added to my library. I felt Menbailee dialed in the focus on Bilbo slightly better, while the Arkenstone edition managed the cuts with better continuity. Just my take!

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that the godzilla movie I uploaded was my first draft version and not my final draft. So please disdisregard that version. I am uploading the final cut to mega now. And later today to info. Sorry about that. And thanks for your time,
Mike

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that the godzilla movie I uploaded was my first draft version and not my final draft. So please disdisregard that version. I am uploading the final cut to mega now. And later today to info. Sorry about that. And thanks for your time,
Mike

CaesarEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, we've gone from having zero Godzilla fan edits (the 1998 film doesn't count) to two of them in a row ;). While we're at it, I'll suggest the same I suggested to Ranger: inserting Akira Ifukube's leitmotif, and perhaps re-doing the sound design with classic Toho SFX.

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Correct Version of Godzilla Path of Destruction should be up on Info soon. Thanks for the patience.

Top Bottom