• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Letterboxd

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's mine.

Fgtl7bd.png

https://letterboxd.com/handyman/list/ranked-watched-in-2019/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Letterboxd is good for instantly reviewing what you watched and related data (if you're deeply sad and nerdy like me :D ):

https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/films/diary/for/2019/

So I "succeeded" in watching 437 films in total during 2019. So that's about 1 a day, plus an extra 1.5 over each weekend.

I gave 37 of them 5-stars (good times!) and 5 films below 1.5-stars, which were:

The Mad Masters (1955)
Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein (2019)
Muppets from Space (1999)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)    
Blade II (2002)

^ Avoid.

I watched 33 films released in 2019, in 2019 (but I'm doing some rapid catching up right now): https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/films/year/2019/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now that I've waded through Berlin Alexanderplatz (review here), my '5 Directors, 5 Films (Part III)' Letterboxd list is complete:

- Robert Altman - I didn't out right love any of his 5 films but I enjoyed them all, 'Short Cuts' was probably the best.
- David Cronenberg - His films are patchy but horrifiyingly memorable. 'Videodrome' was the most succesful and most f**ked up, possibly for that reason.
- Rainer Werner Fassbinder - Hadn't seen anything by him before, now one of my new favourite Directors. Beautiful broken characters, amazing eye for composition. Will definetly watch more by Fassbinder. My pick of the bunch would be 'The Marriage of Maria Braun'.
- Louis Malle - Another Director I hadn't explored before and on the evidence of these 5 films, a genius. 'Au Revoir les Enfants' is one of the greatest films ever.
- Nicolas Roeg - I suspected I wouldn't like Roeg's experimental stye and I was right but they are really unique and I'm glad I've watched these 5. Maybe 'Walkabout would be my pick.

For my 4th list of "5 Directors, 5 Films", I'm changing it up and going with 5 actors I like and 25 films by them that I've yet to see:

5 Actors, 5 Films (Part IV)

Charlize Theron (4 of her recents films that I really want to watch and an early one that it supposed to good but I've never seen):
- That Thing You Do! (1996)
- Atomic Blonde (2017)
- Tully (2018)
- Gringo (2018)
- Bombshell (2020)

Chow Yun Fat (5 of his late 80s/early 90s Hong Kong action films):
- Rich and Famous (1987)
- Tragic Hereo (1987)
- Tiger on Beat (1988)
- Wild Search (1989)
- Full Contact (1992)

Florence Pugh (I've seen all of her others, time to complete the set):
- The Falling (2014)
- King Lear (2018)
- Malevolent (2018)
- Fighting with My Family (2019)
- Little Women (2019)

Jackie Chan (4 old action classics from his filmography and one newer one):
- Drunken Master (1978)
- Project 'A' (1983)
- Police Story (1985)
- Drunken Master 2 aka The Legend of Drunken Master (1994)
- The Foreigner (2017)

Laurence Fishburne (4 from his 80s prime period and his latest):
- Rumble Fish (1983)
- The Cotton Club: Encore (1984)
- The Color Purple (1985)
- King of New York (1990)
- Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019)

3 of the films are new ones and up for awards and I'm really looking forward to seeing the radically different 'Encore' cut of Cotton Club which is finally out on blu-ray.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think this is ranked in any particular order, but it was nonetheless flattering to see my Gill-man edit at the top here  :D

It's a pretty stacked list. Cool to see fanedits getting some acknowledgment on letterboxd.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I don't think this is ranked in any particular order, but it was nonetheless flattering to see my Gill-man edit at the top here  :D

It's a pretty stacked list. Cool to see fanedits getting some acknowledgment on letterboxd.

Thanks for that link. So many great edits on there.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went and purged a lot of the people I've been following on Letterboxd. Whenever I scrolled through the recent activity, I would see pages and pages of likes for other reviews and precious few actual reviews. There may be a way to filter it, but I just culled the worst offenders instead. Apologies if anyone here got caught in the crossfire.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
I went and purged a lot of the people I've been following on Letterboxd. Whenever I scrolled through the recent activity, I would see pages and pages of likes for other reviews and precious few actual reviews. There may be a way to filter it, but I just culled the worst offenders instead. Apologies if anyone here got caught in the crossfire.

Oh, man yeah.... the filter on letterboxd is terrible unless you sign up for pro. I signed up on Black Friday as it was discounted, but it's pretty cheap anyway and the filter is a lifesaver. I only see reviews now, as that's my preference, which means I'm also freed up to follow more people without the feed getting clogged. 

Since I've been on pro I'd forgotten what a nightmare it is, which also means I've been less careful with how many reviews I read and interact with in one sitting. Apologies to anyone who's had a flood of Scrib.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Garp said:

Oh, man yeah.... the filter on letterboxd is terrible unless you sign up for pro.

Ah, that makes sense. I see the 'upgrade' box often but never bothered to click on it as basically I'm a cheap bastard. I don't browse Letterboxd enough to warrant the Pro version yet, but probably would consider it if they do another deal. Cheers.

PS. You're not a Like Spammer; I enjoy your reviews.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! :D  Yeah... I'm a bit cheap too if I'm honest. But now I've gone for it I don't regret it at all. I'm a sucker for stats as well, which is one of the things I value most, along with the ability to filter by streaming/rental service.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
the ability to filter by streaming/rental service.

Oooh!

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Followed. Unfortunately, I can't really help the guy out in any way besides that...

Just found out this thread existed. If anyone wants to hear what I have to say about movies for some reason, here you are: https://letterboxd.com/macmilln/. I've been getting more into film the past few months, and have started writing a review for every movie I watch. More-so for my own reference but I try to make them accessible and coherent for all. I'd love some feedback, or just some dialogue with anyone over there!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That guy followed me ages ago, but I tend to automatically ignore anyone who on first glance just mass follows with no other interaction. It typically implies an interest only in self promotion, rather than listening to what others have to say.

Having said that, after reading the guys post my heart goes out to him, and I've followed back. He would likely find it beneficial to do some networking on Letterboxd rather than just collecting follows though. I liked and commented on someone's review about a month back and we got talking - ended with them saying they were looking for writers and they gave me thier email address. Looking into it more it looked like they had thier fingers in a couple of pies. It may or may not go anywhere, but the point is that it's important to network and a show of genuine interest in other people's work goes a long way. Mass following with no interaction with those you follow doesn't make you look good.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone got the new iOS update? It's pretty sexy.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tully (2018)
'Tully' re-teams Director Jason Reitman, writer Diablo Cody, Cinematographer Eric Steelberg and star Charlize Theron from 2011's 'Young Adult' (one of my favourites from that year). Theron plays a mother of three on the brink of a full-scale breakdown from exhaustion and depression, who reluctantly brings in a young "night nanny" called Tully to help her out (played by Mackenzie Davis). Knowing much more about the story would be in danger of spoilers but if you notice the little signs you'll be able to work out exactly where the plot is heading, however the journey there is captivating enough that it didn't matter to me one bit. Theron delivers another vanity-free performance, gaining 50-pounds and slouching around just letting it all hang out. She is so good at playing misanthropic, passive-aggressive and prickly characters, yet she can still make us love them and feel their pain. The humour might not be as gleefully caustic as in 'Young Adult' but characters are just as deep, perhaps more so. Here is hoping these guys make a third film together.

(^ Spoiler free trailer)

That's the last of my 25-film '5 Actors, 5 Films (Part IV)' list ticked off. I've seen some fantastic Charlize Theron performances, some crazy Jackie Chan stunts, I've now seen every film starring Florence Pugh, watched a couple of Laurence Fishburne 90s gangster classics and discovered a couple of new favourite Chow Yun Fat films ('Wild Search' and 'Full Contact'). Time well spent, only about 5 or 6 I wouldn't bother re-watching.

For my next 25-films list '5 Directors, 5 Films (Part V)' I'm going with:

Francis Ford Coppola - These are more or less the last five "good" films from his filmography that I'm yet to see.
The Conversation 1974
The Outsiders 1983
Rumble Fish 1983
Gardens of Stone 1987
The Rainmaker 1997

Werner Herzog - About time I delved deeper into my BFI Herzog blu-ray boxset.
Stroszek 1977
Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979
Woyzeck 1979
Fitzcarraldo 1982
Burden of Dreams 1982 (actually by Les Blank but it's documenting Herzog's 'Fitzcarraldo')

Hayao Miyazaki - All his films have recently been added to Netflix, so here we go!
My Neighbor Totoro 1988
Kiki’s Delivery Service 1989
Princess Mononoke 1997
Ponyo 2008
The Wind Rises 2013

Steven Soderbergh - Like everyone else, I want to watch 'Contagion' right now and if I'm going to watch 'Solaris', I might as well see them both.
Sex, lies, and videotape 1989
Traffic 2000
Solaris 2002
Contagion 2011
Logan Lucky 2017

Andrei Tarkovsky - I've had his 'Sculpting Time' blu-ray boxset on my "to do" shelf for far too long, so it sounds odd to say "I can't wait!" to watch these five films.
Ivan’s Childhood 1962
Andrei Rublev 1966
Solaris 1972
Mirror 1975
Stalker 1979

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's my last 5x5 list complete and it only took 7 weeks ( '5 Directors, 5 Films (Part V)' ). I loved all the Miyazaki films, discovered a couple of new Coppola favourites (The Conversation & Rumble Fish) and liked half of the Herzog films. I liked all of Soderbergh and Tarkovsky's films except Solaris & Solaris :D . The best ones by each Director are probably: The Conversation, Fitzcarraldo, The Wind Rises, Logan Lucky and Andrei Rublev.

For my next list ( '5 Directors, 5 Films (Part VI)' ) I've picked these 25 films:

Alan Clarke - I've recently bought the 'Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BBC' blu-ray boxset, so I'm keen to get stuck in.
    Scum 1977
    Scum 1979
    Contact 1985
    Rita, Sue and Bob Too 1987
    Elephant 1989

John Carpenter - With these watched, I've seen all of John Carpenter's films, plus one he wrote.
    The Fog 1980
    Black Moon Rising 1986
    Prince of Darkness 1987
    In the Mouth of Madness 1994
    Village of the Damned 1995

Safdie Brothers - Let's work backwards from 'Uncut Gems' and see what else they cooked up.
    The Pleasure of Being Robbed 2008
    Daddy Longlegs 2009
    Lenny Cooke 2013
    Heaven Knows What 2014
    Good Time 2017

Lucio Fulci - I've been enjoying old Italian Horror films of late and Fulci is one of the more (in)famous Directors.
    Don’t Torture a Duckling 1972
    Zombie Flesh Eaters 1979
    City of the Living Dead 1980
    The Beyond 1981
    Zombie 3 1988

Terence Fisher - I want to watch a few more films from my Hammer DVD boxset, especially a couple of the Dracula series.
    The Mummy 1959
    The Brides of Dracula 1960
    The Curse of the Werewolf 1961
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness 1966
    Frankenstein Created Woman 1967

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've completed the last 5x5 list, taking exactly 2-months to complete. Alan Clarke is my new favourite director. Some good times with lesser known John Carpenter. I'm glad I've finally caught up with the Safdie Brother's filmography, although I'd probably only watch 'Good Times' again. Lucio Fulci was a mixed bag but I absolutely loved 'Zombi 3'! Terence Fisher's Hammer films provided some good spooky fun.

For my next list ('5 Directors, 5 Films (Part VII)') I've gone with these 5 directors:

Céline Sciamma - It's about time I caught up with Sciamma's acclaimed filmography and this is all 5 that she had directed so far.
    Pauline 2010
    Tomboy 2011
    Water Lilies 2007
    Girlhood 2014
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire 2019

Mario Bava - I'm working my way through the pantheon of Italian Horror Directors, Bava is next.
    Black Sabbath 1963
    The Whip and the Body 1963
    Blood and Black Lace 1964
    Kill Baby, Kill 1966
    A Bay of Blood 1971

Agnès Varda - I'm looking forward to seeing a range of films from all across her long career, from first to last.
    Cléo from 5 to 7 1962
    Mur Murs 1981
    Vagabond 1985
    Faces Places 2017
    Varda by Agnès 2019

John Schlesinger - His filmography has many notable classics I've so far missed out on.
    Darling 1965
    Midnight Cowboy 1969
    Sunday Bloody Sunday 1971
    The Day of the Locust 1975
    Marathon Man 1976

Jean-Luc Godard - I've never seen a single film by Godard (despite owning several on blu-ray), so it's about time I started.
    Breathless 1960
    Vivre Sa Vie 1962
    Contempt 1963
    Band of Outsiders 1964
    Masculin Féminin 1966

Top Bottom