• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Problem Rendering Video FX in Vegas Studio (SOLVED)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm attempting to do some vfx work in Studio Platinum 11. It comes with a plugin called "NewBlue MSPPS Image Mapper - OpenFX." I used it to create a shot that looks like this in my preview window:

3syPCBj.png

Unfortunately this is the result when I try to render out to an mp4:

I've had similar lack of luck rendering out as a lagarith avi. I'm pretty sure the NewBlue plugin is the culprit, as it renders fine when I remove the effect...and I've also had problems with some (but not all) of the NewBlue transition effects.

Anyone with any ideas? I'd love to do simple fx like this myself rather than looking for other people to do it for me.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wish I could be of help. However, that could be an easter egg on the DVD, along with a warning it may cause seizures. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had some render issues in Vegas when I've combined multiple intensive filters (Colour balance+sharpen+filmFX+saturation) with FX masking. I've gotten a similar flashing black effect. In most cases it can be solved by switching the order in which the filters are applied... or in extreme cases render the FX and then apply the filters seperately.

(Of course if you aren't applying any additional FX then this advice ^ is of no use)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've had some render issues in Vegas when I've combined multiple intensive filters (Colour balance+sharpen+filmFX+saturation) with FX masking. I've gotten a similar flashing black effect. In most cases it can be solved by switching the order in which the filters are applied... or in extreme cases render the FX and then apply the filters seperately.

(Of course if you aren't applying any additional FX then this advice ^ is of no use)

The only thing I'm doing in addition to the NewBlue filter is a solid black generator to hide the fact that the effect extends beyond the upper black bar. But it's on its own video track in the timeline, just like the footage that is being FX'd is. None of the video tracks have more than one filter, so I don't think that's it.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink, I see your project's frame rate is set to 29.97 frames per second, instead of the standard 23.976 for film. Are you also outputting that way, or are you going from one to the other? Could be the project and render settings aren't the same, and are causing Newblue to become confused.

Another possibility: have you disabled resampling on that clip? I find that usually helps with inaccurate frames. Right click the clip, select properties, then disable resample.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my render issue is that it takes 4 hour to render half an hour.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Frink, I see your project's frame rate is set to 29.97 frames per second, instead of the standard 23.976 for film. Are you also outputting that way, or are you going from one to the other? Could be the project and render settings aren't the same, and are causing Newblue to become confused.

Another possibility: have you disabled resampling on that clip? I find that usually helps with inaccurate frames. Right click the clip, select properties, then disable resample.

I will check both, thanks.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If GPU acceleration is available in your version of Vegas, disable it if you haven't done so already. You could also try rendering only the clip concerned. If this works, you could always re-import the clip and add it back to the timeline.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
my render issue is that it takes 4 hour to render half an hour.

Thanks?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
If GPU acceleration is available in your version of Vegas, disable it if you haven't done so already. You could also try rendering only the clip concerned. If this works, you could always re-import the clip and add it back to the timeline.

The options are automatic, render using CPU only, and render using GPU if available. I tried all three and no luck.

Also tried just rendering the clip with the effect, same result.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:

Fixed the project settings and disabled resample. The good news, if you can call it that, is the preview no longer shows it working. The same problems show up in the preview window as well as the rendered clip.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could be a keyframing thing. Can you try creating a new instance of the same kind of newblue effect with the same footage? You may have to redo it, but it might solve the problem.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't do any keyframing. And I tried using several different NewBlue effects.

I appreciate all the suggestions, though.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I poked around there a bit and supposedly NewBlue is pretty responsive to emails. I just sent them a query.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
supposedly NewBlue is pretty responsive to emails

Yes, yes they are. They had me go to my graphics card control panel and force the graphics card to be used in association with Vegas, and suddenly it's working like a charm. Yay!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
They had me go to my graphics card control panel and force the graphics card to be used in association with Vegas

This fix may be unique to your Graphics Card but incase it isn't, do you mind posting the instructions they gave you?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not at all.

a. Open Control Panel -> Nvidia control panel (if you don't have one, install nvidia drivers from nvidia.com).
b. 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings - >Program Settings.
c. Select the Vegas EXE from the list or add the programs using the browser.
d. Choose option "High-performance NVIDIA processor", if there is this option.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Not at all.

Thanks. I've got a Radeon so that exact solution wouldn't do anything for me but I may try switching around a few similar settings to see what happens.

Top Bottom