• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Gotham

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2 episodes in and I must say I am impressed. Netflix is so confident in the show they already bought the first rerun rights. So I figure maybe this show should get its own thread....

The calibre of the guest cast (Lilli Taylor and Frank Whaley -- WOW!!!) stunned me, especially for such minor roles!

In the end, this show can only get darker and end in anarchy, but if it maintains this level of quality, it will be a descent well worth watching. :thumb:

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree! I was surprised how much I enjoyed the pilot and it continued into last night's episode. I will admit that I'm not sure how long it'll hold my interest being a show about Batman's city, but I'm willing to give it a few seasons to see how it progresses.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The calibre of the guest cast (Lilli Taylor and Frank Whaley -- WOW!!!) stunned me, especially for such minor roles!

That's who that was! :doh: I saw her name during the post-opening credits credit sequence and thought "Cool!". But then I completely forgot she was in it and couldn't figure out who that woman was. :lol:

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also was very surprised when I realized that the guy they were dealing with was Wayne Duvall, whom I previously only knew as Homer Stokes in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Quite a few years apart, yes, but even so, two completely different looks, sounds, and manners. Impressive.

I felt that the show might have been trying a bit too hard to shoehorn in as many future villains as possible in the pilot, but I did enjoy it overall, and the second episode really felt like it was hitting its stride. Bruno Heller definitely understands ensembles, as Rome proved, and even the kids (Camren Bicondova as "Cat" and David Mazouz as Bruce in particular) seem very well cast.

It's very early yet, but I can see Mazouz and Bicondova blossoming into major stars -- amazing to think that she is only 15 and (before this) primarily a dancer and he is only 13!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Was the stand up comedian implied to be the Joker?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe he is one of supposedly 3 suspects who will turn out to be the Joker

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I didn't realize there were more contenders. The actual joke he told was so tired, it was like intentionally bad. I only started thinking he might be the Joker when he watched what Fish did to Penguin. Fish. What a weird name.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So far, the series seems promising. And it's nice to see Sean Pertwee in something worthy; he's a good choice to play Alfred.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Okay, I didn't realize there were more contenders. The actual joke he told was so tired, it was like intentionally bad. I only started thinking he might be the Joker when he watched what Fish did to Penguin. Fish. What a weird name.

The producers have said many episodes will have references to different characters possibly being the future Joker, though all or none may be the actual Clown Prince of Crime.

Penguin's eat Fish. Maybe that will be the pivotal scene when Cobblepot overthrows Fish and finally accepts his true nature as the Penguin?

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My issues with actor's lack of chemistry from the pilot is gone in episode two. Some quite disturbing stuff in episode 2, but in a really good way (the waiter scene). This is shaping up!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched the first 2 episodes so far, and it's ok. Nothing amazing, but it's better than I thought it'd be. Curious to see where the show takes us.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Four episodes in and I'm out. I don't get the appeal of Jim Gordon trying to figure out who really killed the Waynes and cleaning up the city when we know that if he does, there's no need for Batman, and that can't happen in a Batman world. There's stuff I enjoy, like the actors (especially Penguin), and this show probably has my favorite interpretation of Catwoman (screw you and your prostitutes, Frank Miller).
NOT LIKE THAT!:-D
The show is also very silly, and not in a good way. LAst week we had a vigilante who killed people with weather balloons, and Gordon and Bullock being explained how balloons work is up there (and possibly above) Spider-Man learning how batteries work. And this week we had a man die by putting a blowgun(?) like device up to his eye, I only half paid attention to what was happening (the hell was with the weird lesbian subplot with Jada Smith this episode?). Also, this series LOVES to reference The Dark Knight, with Falcone talking about how "a man who's about to die is honest," the mayor saying Arkham Asylum is not only something Gotham "needs, but deserves," and Cobblepot reacts the same way to being called a Penguin the same way Ledger's Joker did to being called crazy. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the writer's fake us out and actually make Cobblepot The Joker. Why not, he has the right amount of manic glee and can turn to sinister on a flip of a dime.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm still loving this show. And it wasn't a blowgun-like weapon that was used in tonight's episode. The weapon shot out a, I'd say, 6" or so retractable spike.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two ways this show could actually interest me:

1) As I said in another thread, if Bruce had been killed while his parents lived, that could have been a really interesting alternate-reality scenario that wouldn't just be an elaborate quasi-Batman Begins prequel.

2) If the show just said "f*** it" and made 14-year-old Bruce a beginning Batman, beating the snot out of criminals and doing the Bale yell, but with his voice still cracking. I would probably watch that show. :p

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
If the show just said "f*** it" and made 14-year-old Bruce a beginning Batman, beating the snot out of criminals and doing the Bale yell, but with his voice still cracking. I would probably watch that show. :p

Don't be ridiculous. You might as well have a nine year old girl wearing a pink wig and a plaid schoolgirl skirt.....Wait......Ah, nevermind.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Two ways this show could actually interest me:

1) As I said in another thread, if Bruce had been killed while his parents lived, that could have been a really interesting alternate-reality scenario that wouldn't just be an elaborate quasi-Batman Begins prequel

Thomas Wayne as Batman? Someone's been reading Flashpoint...

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ No, I haven't. I didn't mean that Thomas Wayne would become Batman; I was thinking he'd become a political crusader, so warped and bent on being "tough on crime" that he'd actually make things tangibly worse.

Linten1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have really enjoyed this season so far. The one thing that strikes me over and over in each episode is that Ben Mckenzie aka James Gordon seems to be acting on a different level than everyone else. He seems to be playing the character as if he lives in our world. Everyone else seems to be playing out a character by acting like a character. I like it. It's a nice quirk of the show. It helps to give the show a base in reality when suspension of disbelief is required for most of the story telling.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, what do ya know?

B1Tzas4CYAEaSbK.png

Looks like Cobblepot is working the green and purple well. Maybe they will make him into the Joker after all.

Top Bottom